Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Manual headlight operation?

Old 01-16-2018, 04:55 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Manual headlight operation?

I have a 98-02 style front end. I am manually trying to open the headlights because I have the motor pulled. I tried cranking both *****, assuming it’s cloxkwise to raise the headlights? Both plastic caps that spline into the metal **** appear to be stripped. Is this common? Was thinking about just flying them back on?
Old 01-16-2018, 05:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine I had to use an allen head wrench to manually operate. Have you tried that way versus the plastic ****
Old 01-16-2018, 06:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by klinznilk
Mine I had to use an allen head wrench to manually operate. Have you tried that way versus the plastic ****

I didn’t think there was an Alan key insert on the metal part? There was an Allan key insert on the plastic part though but it would just spin freely on the metal **** under it

Last edited by Greg88; 01-16-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:43 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 321 Likes on 294 Posts

Moving to the Firebird section since this is specific to that model.

There is an allen key insert in a plastic **** at the top of the motor. The allen key or one's hand should be enough to spin the **** and it should not spin freely. If it does - the gear is likely stripped or the motor may have become separated from the gear case.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
Moving to the Firebird section since this is specific to that model.

There is an allen key insert in a plastic **** at the top of the motor. The allen key or one's hand should be enough to spin the **** and it should not spin freely. If it does - the gear is likely stripped or the motor may have become separated from the gear case.
Well the lights have always worked fine. I honestly feel the plastic **** is spinning on the metal **** under it. If I put an Allen key on it, it will just spin and click everyone and a while. Just frustrating as I need to get my front bumper off and my engine isn’t in the car.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:37 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 321 Likes on 294 Posts

Do you have the battery and harness out? If not the headlights should still work.

If you have the harness, re-connecting the battery and headlight door module should put you back in business.

If the harness is out, you can undo the motor connector and just put 12V to the red and black wires coming out of the motor and going to the connector. Just reverse the polarity for "open" vs. "close".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual headlight operation?