Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1997 firebird 1LE

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 07:47 AM
Teching In

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1997 firebird 1LE

I have a 1997 Firebird Formula 1LE that I special ordered (COPO) new...I am the original owner..Had a hard time finding a dealership that even knew that option even existed...
Finally went though a friend of a friend of a friend who owned a Pontiac dealership..Who ordered it for me..
According to all the publications that I have read and websites I've visited everywhere...only 14 were produced that year..
According to the PHS (Pontiac Historical Society) Of the 475 WS6 formulas produced that year 28 of them were 1LE cars..
Was just wondering why the discrepancy in the numbers?? Which one is actually correct??
I do know that there is alot of mystery and Misinformation about these cars out there...
Any feedback would be appreciated... thanks
Old 01-20-2018, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I also had a hard time ordering my 2000 WS6 Formula (and 1LE's no longer offered in 2000). All the dealers said the same thing "They make a Firebird and a Trans Am, don't think they make a Formula". One dealer took my order and dealer manager cancelled it the next day, he told me they only get allocated so many so they only order Trans Am's for a higher profit. I went on a business trip up in Northern California, dealers there also would only order the Trans Am's.

I started calling all the dealers in Southern California, found one sixty miles away that said they would order it, ordered on the last day of the cut off date. Funny thing, the dealership was also a Chevrolet dealership, when my car came in it was parked right next to a black Camaro SS that another person ordered. When he saw my car he got angry at his dealer, he asked him "What the F#$% is this? Why didn't you tell me about these?" dealer said he didn't know they made Formula's.

As far as production numbers, mine was 1 of 232 when they first came out, some time later that changed to 1 of 233. Not much of a difference, but makes you question the accuracy of the production numbers, like the below links for your car, same website, different numbers.

Pontiac Firebird History 4th Generation 1993-2002
http://transamworld.com/fbird-history-php4.php

1997 Firebird Breakdown
http://transamworld.com/1997-breakdown.htm

1998 Firebird Production Number Breakdown
http://transamworld.com/1998-breakdown.htm

1999 Firebird Production Number Breakdown
http://transamworld.com/1999-breakdown.htm

2000 Firebird Production Number Breakdown
http://transamworld.com/1998-breakdown.htm

Last edited by 2000 WS6 Formula; 03-07-2018 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Added Links
Old 01-21-2018, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any pictures of said car? What’s different about it?
Old 01-23-2018, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000 WS6 Formula
As far as production numbers, mine was 1 of 232 when they first came out, some time later that changed to 1 of 233. Not much of a difference, but makes you question the accuracy of the production numbers, like the below links for your car, same website, different numbers.
Different sources of data. When I scoured CompNine's database, it showed only 231 WS6 Formulas were built in 2000, while at the same time another source showed 233. Considering that this is not the only instance where I noted CompNine's database missing cars, I'd tend to believe the higher number.

Originally Posted by two lane blacktop
According to all the publications that I have read and websites I've visited everywhere...only 14 were produced that year..
According to the PHS (Pontiac Historical Society) Of the 475 WS6 formulas produced that year 28 of them were 1LE cars..
Was just wondering why the discrepancy in the numbers?? Which one is actually correct??
The number I gleaned from CompNine is 28, which agrees w/ what PHS says (although CompNine also shows 482 '97 WS6 Formula coupes, not 475.......its possible that PHS may not have included some obscure exports in that latter number). While CompNine may be missing some cars in some cases, it is at least reliable for reflecting cars that were built. Thus, "the real number" is not less than what CompNine's database reflects.

PLEASE POST PICS of your 1LE! Or at least describe it better. Of the 28 1LEs built in '97, only 1 was Dark Green Metallic (48U), and only 2 had Taupe Cloth interior (52B/52D).
Old 01-24-2018, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Different sources of data. When I scoured CompNine's database, it showed only 231 WS6 Formulas were built in 2000, while at the same time another source showed 233. Considering that this is not the only instance where I noted CompNine's database missing cars, I'd tend to believe the higher number.

The number I gleaned from CompNine is 28, which agrees w/ what PHS says (although CompNine also shows 482 '97 WS6 Formula coupes, not 475.......its possible that PHS may not have included some obscure exports in that latter number). While CompNine may be missing some cars in some cases, it is at least reliable for reflecting cars that were built. Thus, "the real number" is not less than what CompNine's database reflects.

PLEASE POST PICS of your 1LE! Or at least describe it better. Of the 28 1LEs built in '97, only 1 was Dark Green Metallic (48U), and only 2 had Taupe Cloth interior (52B/52D).
Thanks for the Feedback...Will try to post some pics...Not very computer savy..

Last edited by two lane blacktop; 01-24-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Posted some pics of my 1LE Firebird yesterday...So I thought I would post a little more info on the car..Special ordered it new in 1997..At time loaded up WS6 TAs were going for 30 grand..with all the deleted items and adding the performance 1LE specific items... It knocked 4 grand off the price...It is 100%...Stock..unmodified...Unmolested...In any way...shape or form...The only things not original...Besides fiuids.. air filter..(normal maintenance items)..Originally had Goodyear Eagle GSC tires on it...Now has Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires...Replaced the original Delco Freedom Two battery approximately 10 yrs ago... The original serpentine belt was replaced about 5 yrs ago...Also Replaced the the clutch master cylinder with an OEM unit 3 yrs ago..Still has the original brake pads....although they are almost ready..to be done..(not scrubbing yet)..Other than that it is original..Just turned 95000 miles about 6 monthes ago..The clear coat started peeling off the hood a few years back..Will get it redone someday..Came with a tool to a adjust the shocks was in the glove box.... With me and Mrs. Two Lane a full load of fuel and all our vacation stuff..Tips the scales at a little over 3200 LBs..Will do 168 MPH..Know that because captured the top speed in my Garmin...Last time it shown was at a local Pontiac dealership sponsored show in 2005..All the Firehawk and SLP 1LE guys got kinda pissed..When it stole their thunder and took best of show..Decided Then that if was going to have to deal with completely unnecessary drama and hostilities wasn't going to do those kind of events anymore..
Thanks for the Feedback and interest in my car....
Will go into detail on the specifics of 1LE and what really makes it different from other WS6 Formulas and Trans Ams...When I have a little more time...
Thanks again...

Last edited by two lane blacktop; 01-25-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the pics. Nice survivor! Love the patina, you can always say that the clear coat began peeling at 168 MPH and that is when you let off. Did you have the PCM modified to remove the speed limiter? I believe the LS1 WS6s are limited at 163-ish, C&D hit it w/ a '99 30th 'vert M6. But holy crap, that is smokin'! "305 HP", yeah, right. Seems the LS1s weren't the only 5.7Ls that GM under-rated. That or you can credit the Ram Air.

Digging the crank windows, the only 4th gen Firebird V8s I've seen with that are the 1LEs. 3200 lbs is incredibly light. No wonder 1LEs are the fastest.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the pics. Nice survivor! Love the patina, you can always say that the clear coat began peeling at 168 MPH and that is when you let off. Did you have the PCM modified to remove the speed limiter? I believe the LS1 WS6s are limited at 163-ish, C&D hit it w/ a '99 30th 'vert M6. But holy crap, that is smokin'! "305 HP", yeah, right. Seems the LS1s weren't the only 5.7Ls that GM under-rated. That or you can credit the Ram Air.

Digging the crank windows, the only 4th gen Firebird V8s I've seen with that are the 1LEs. 3200 lbs is incredibly light. No wonder 1LEs are the fastest.
Want to clarify..The way I was able to reach. The168 MPH top speed was when I was running with another car..in a tight draft...(two cars are faster than one) with the other car in front (1997 Mustang Cobra R)..Tried it first with the 1LE out front...with the low rear spoiler when we hit about 140 with the other car in real close....It upset the airflow adversly..and got uncomfortable with the with way it felt on the road...Tried it the other way...Was able to stick my nose almost under the rear valance panel...but As long As kept within a half a car length..was able to stay in the draft...Any further back and the speed on both cars dropped back down into the mid 150s...Front car also has an uplevel type rear spoiler...Was also running 100 Octane unleaded fuel and increased tire pressure to 40 PSI... By itself have only been able to get to 157MPH....The PCM has not been tampered with..the formula supposedly doesn't have an electronic speed limiter..Instead it is limited aerodynamicaly....but Not 100% sure about that..

Last edited by two lane blacktop; 01-27-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like an impressive (and fun) experiment, none the less.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1997 1le

Good afternoon, I don't know when the last time was that you were on this site but I thought you would like to take a look at your car with the options that it came with. Kelvin Well I'm kinda new to the site so I tried to attach the print out of your car but was unable to. If you want to email me I would gladly send it to you KTeepell1510@gmail.com

Quick Reply: 1997 firebird 1LE