Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

94 Trans Am Vs 98 Trans Am (And An 89 Iroc Z!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Trans Am Vs 98 Trans Am (And An 89 Iroc Z!)

Hi guys, how are you? I am new member to the site! I'm an Aussie but living in the UK but I'm not new to US cars. I have previously owned a stunning 1987 Iroc Z 350TPI that I got 3rd at Nationals with many years ago and I have also had a 94 Trans Am as well.

Well the time has come to buy another car and was looking at an Iroc again and was pretty much going to import one but a really nice 98 Trans Am has popped up. It has had a lot of mods and is putting out 450hp on the LS1. It is a 6 speed as well.

Now my 94 was an LT1 and was one of the best sounding V8's I have ever heard. The idle was awesome. This is obviously the face lift model with the newer motor as well.

My question is how much better is the 98 than the 94 model I had? It's about 6 hours drive from me so I can't just pop down to see it. Also is the 6 speed good in these cars or should I avoid that and wait for an Auto?

This is the spec:
5.7 V8 LS1
6 speed manual
Low mileage at only 47000 miles on the clock
Long tube stainless steel headers
Custom made dual exhaust
Ls6 intake manifold
Crane cam high lift roller rockers with uprated push rods and guide plates
SLP air box with panel filter
WS6 front antiroll bar
Up rated suspension springs
Tubular rear trailing arms and panhard bar
Short shift gear linkage
Brembo dimpled discs with mintex pads

Is this going to be a better car than a good 89 Iroc Z 350TPI? I know it has double the power! Lol! Anyone here owned both?

Looking forward to hearing your replies!

Old 06-04-2018, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I previously owned a 94 Z28 with a 6-speed. It was a great car and I loved the power the LT1 made. After having replaced two optisparks within one year, I was kind over the LT1 platform. Mine was box stock with a Summit Racing muffler.

Within the last year, I acquired a 98 Trans Am 4 speed auto. The LS1 is an improvement over the LT1 in many ways. It definitely makes more power; however, I feel like the LT1 had more get up and go right of the line. Of course, the Camaro is lighter than the Trans Am and the Camaro had a 6-speed as opposed to an auto, so maybe why I was feeling a difference. The T-56 6-speed is a great transmission, and you'd be very happy with it. The 4l60e is a fine automatic, but from my experience, its not at reliable or durable as the 6-speed.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

The ls cars perform better in virtually every way. They're also fairly easy to work on. The big issue is hard launching with the t56 can blow up the rear end. That's really the only downside. If the price is right you won't regret getting the ls.