Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

73 Firebird fender brace

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73 Firebird fender brace

Hey guys - maybe a silly question, but I'm a little confused.

My 73 came to me with one fender brace (like the one below)
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hppp-...d-fender_brace

I ordered a second from classic industries (below) but its a couple inches shorter than the original piece, and doesn't mount in the same spot.
https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...s/c891821.html

Is the original length or part still available? I've looked for factory restoration and aftermarket parts, but reluctant to order another part that might not fit.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-19-2018, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While the ‘73-76 impact support braces mount in the same location on the inner portion of the fenders and they look nearly identical, those for ‘73 Firebirds are different than ‘74-76 units in the forward mounting point. The ‘73 braces are longer and extend past the radiator support to connect directly to the front bumper reinforcements. The 74-76 units attach to the radiator support.

To my knowledge, the ‘73 braces are not reproduced. You’ll have to create your own or find a used original.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocky Rotella
While the ‘73-76 impact support braces mount in the same location on the inner portion of the fenders and they look nearly identical, those for ‘73 Firebirds are different than ‘74-76 units in the forward mounting point. The ‘73 braces are longer and extend past the radiator support to connect directly to the front bumper reinforcements. The 74-76 units attach to the radiator support.

To my knowledge, the ‘73 braces are not reproduced. You’ll have to create your own or find a used original.
Thanks, that is what i was suspecting. I'll probably use the 74+ style for now, and use the old 73 style as a template for future use

Quick Reply: 73 Firebird fender brace