Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Need help on rear taillights on 02 trans am

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need help on rear taillights on 02 trans am

Finishing up total rebuild of my car. Combined and relocated fuse boxes, cut down harness and tucked. replacing all brake , turn signal and parking lights over to morimoto LEDs. Front and rear........in rear, Do both brake/taillight bulbs flash on each side for turn signals? I was sent 4 morimoto load resistors with the order and I'm assuming 1 is for each side in parking / turn in the front bumper. That leaves 2 for the back...not sure how to wire them in
Old 04-15-2019, 08:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Firebird taillights have three bulbs on each side. The outboard one is a single filament used for parking/running lights only. The two inboard ones on each side both function as parking/running lights (dim filament) as well as brake/turn signal (bright filament). To properly install load resistors you would need two on each side (they connect between the yellow and black wires on the left side, dark green and black wires on the right side). However, an easier solution is to install a No-Load LED flasher under the dash and eliminate the need for load resistors altogether.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Firebird taillights have three bulbs on each side. The outboard one is a single filament used for parking/running lights only. The two inboard ones on each side both function as parking/running lights (dim filament) as well as brake/turn signal (bright filament). To properly install load resistors you would need two on each side (they connect between the yellow and black wires on the left side, dark green and black wires on the right side). However, an easier solution is to install a No-Load LED flasher under the dash and eliminate the need for load resistors altogether.
thanks for the info, ordered the cec flasher with ground wire. hopefully that does the trick!
Old 04-28-2019, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hireman
Finishing up total rebuild of my car. Combined and relocated fuse boxes, cut down harness and tucked. replacing all brake , turn signal and parking lights over to morimoto LEDs. Front and rear........in rear, Do both brake/taillight bulbs flash on each side for turn signals? I was sent 4 morimoto load resistors with the order and I'm assuming 1 is for each side in parking / turn in the front bumper. That leaves 2 for the back...not sure how to wire them in
When I installed LED's in my '99 Formula, I installed a no-load flasher which stopped the hyper flashing. But I still had to install 1 load resistor on each side of the rear turn signal light circuits to get the Cruise Control to work again properly.

John