Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

98-02 Firebird/Trans Am question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soljhaboy2c
need advice, i got a 98 trans am. wanting to get ls6 intake. i heard that the vette ls6s have different throttle body hookups than the camaro and firebird ls6s. so i need to know this so i dont buy the vette ls6 and it not work. help me out guys.

Get the LSX intake manifold.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

My 1999 TA Firehawk is a daily driver, with 110,000 km on it now. I've had to have one window motor replaced, the water pump replaced, new battery, air conditioning recharged, and had to get a new headlight motor. All of these were fixed under warranty. The drivers window is going, and the car will need a new set of tires within another year, but it has been a very reliable car since I bought it. IMO the differences between the 1998-2002 models of TA's are minor, the later years have the LS6 intake (some have the LS6 block too), and the interior switched to black from grey. Besides that, there is not much difference between the model years. If I was shopping for a Trans Am, I would concentrate on finding a nice, clean, low mileage, well maintained car, and buy that one, regardless of what year it is. The LS1 is a great, very reliable engine, regardless of what year.

1999 TA Firehawk #C008 M6
All GM options, all SLP options, lots of aftermarket stuff
Old 10-10-2004, 01:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has 118k on it and runs like a charm, there was a problem with the auto tranny's from the factory tho, around 90-100k they start to go out, most shops call this problem "the beast" they can explain more, i had to get mine rebuilt too, but its not on just the 98's just make sure to have ur pcm flashed with a higher year program, the ac compressor doesnt shut off fast enough at WOT so you'll end up burning it up w/the stock 98 program, so the tranny and a/c compressor is all i've replaced, (i didnt know about the 98 program until it was too late)
Old 10-10-2004, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT1Burnout
why!? holy cow.. u musta not read the whole thread.. i suggest reading through it.. also remember, just becuase its newer does NOT mean its better!!
i have had both and the lt1 has better low end torque stock for stock and its a lil cheaper to mod, but its hard for a lt1 to keep up with the ls1 in specific classes due to better technology and ease to modify, and i have been told this by lt1 drag racers that have to try to keep up with the ls1's. the ls1 is just more advanced technology
Old 11-20-2004, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 99 trans am and I love it. Even though I replaced the headlight motor, the water pump and the thermostat. I also replaced my spark plugs and wires (that was a real pain to do). It took me 2.5 hours to do. I have two friends with lt1 cars and they both love them. I also have an lt1 engine that I am rebuilding to put in my camaro. You just have to decide what kind of car do you like better. You can get an lt1 car for cheap. I got my TA for 11,000. My friend got his 97 formula for 7,000. If you want an ls1 then try and go for the 2002.

Quick Reply: 98-02 Firebird/Trans Am question