Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question overheating

i am having problems with my 95 firebird. i started the car, went in the house, and oops forgot for about 30 minutes. IT HAPPENS! (i learned my lesson) . anyways, before that happened, my car always ran real cold. the temp never got up at all. now it runs hot, REAL HOT. the fan wasnt working, so i bought a new one. installed it, HMMMM not working. run a jumper wire, damn it works. although it will run as long as i had my a/c on. but about 2 weeks later, a/c would SOMETIMES come on. now i have nothing, a/c not working at all. jumper wire will still work the fan though. I am more concerned with the temp than anything, i just thought maybe these might be related.
any help is appreciated!
Old 07-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

I would start with replacing the thermostat. Is the coolant circulating? Then the fan comes on automatically when the A/C comes on. It also comes on when the temperature reaches about 220 deg. This seems really high, but it is the way the factory designed it. If it is really not turning on then I would chec into the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor. This is the switch that turns your fan on when the temp gets to 220 deg. There is also a relay that controls the fan that could be the problem. I would start with the thermostat first and I bet that will fix your problem.

Good Luck.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on my old car when my opti was just about ready to go out...after about 10 min of driving the car got really hot like almost to the red on the guage and then it dropped half way..then it ran like ****!!! dunno if this is related.but if yours does this it means opti.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey bro, speaking from a fellow LT1er (assuming thats what u have), they have heating problems.. i live in the scortching desert and the only way i cooled her down was getn a 160stat, manual fan switch and new radiator.. these motors like to keep on the move ie the waterpump needs to run up on some rpms and some airflow undernieth

i also use "water wetter", aLL this keeps the temps at 175.. in 110 heat
Old 11-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Hey I Have An Ls1 But My Brother Has A Lt1 Camaro This Might Help Him Too Thanks

Quick Reply: overheating