Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

'94 Formula Vs '02 'hawk Aerodynamics

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005 | 02:27 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
Good idea. I have stopped accelerating in both at some point. The '94 feels very stable @140. The newer one is still in full control, but the wind does buffet the car a bit. Also, I can hear more wind noise with the '02. Maybe it's just in my head.
Apparently the aero is such that it sucks the windows out at speed. Seems the C5s suffer from that too and so the C6 has an upper track that traps the glass and the door automatically drops the window .25" when you open it.

Have you noticed any windnoise or a draft type feel, in the 02 around the top d/s corner of the windshield, or maybe the front of the window at normal highway speeds?

I swear I have an air leak in my '02 T/A. It doesn't leak water there, but in the winter I can feel cold air on my steering hand coming from somewhere but can't track it down.

And around 80 or so I can hear wind noise pretty bad. But I don't know when the glass pulling starts.
Old 01-27-2005 | 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

ive had my formula up to about 130 and it was perfectly stable. I am gonna get it to 150 but i wanna change my suspension first.
Old 01-27-2005 | 02:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HPP
Apparently the aero is such that it sucks the windows out at speed. Seems the C5s suffer from that too and so the C6 has an upper track that traps the glass and the door automatically drops the window .25" when you open it.

Have you noticed any windnoise or a draft type feel, in the 02 around the top d/s corner of the windshield, or maybe the front of the window at normal highway speeds?

I swear I have an air leak in my '02 T/A. It doesn't leak water there, but in the winter I can feel cold air on my steering hand coming from somewhere but can't track it down.

And around 80 or so I can hear wind noise pretty bad. But I don't know when the glass pulling starts.
I can hear a slight whistle start @ 65. I always thought it was the side mirror aerodynamics that was the main cause of it. At 130+ the noise isn't as easy to tell the source of. It seems like it's all over. At those speeds I am more in tune with steering wheel feel. I just notice at crazy speeds that I can feel a slight tug left or right intermittantly from the steering wheel. Looking at all the openings on the front of the car gives an obvious picture of why the atmoshere isn't cooperating. I was just wondering if anyone else had similar deals or if I was the only one with the high horsepower brick.
Old 01-27-2005 | 03:26 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Well, there aren't really that many openings. The parking lights are sunk in, that's something of an air trap and could be a problem I suppose, but the lower holes are supposed to (I think) feed air to the front brakes, and the central holes (2 or 4) feed the intake (and though some say otherwise, I swear that most of the "ram air" happens from the 2 lower holes, and that apparently it would be the same on the flat hood :::shrug::: ), and underneath you have the air dam for the rad.

Look at most any other car - big upper grill, lower grill, light recessions, and the same brake ducts.

In the comparison of your 2 cars. The LT1 era had recessed lights as well. And the 'traditional' air dam. Not much differnce. Just an intake and brake ducts.

I haven't heard any complaints of stability from the WRX or STi guys. They should have it worse in the "front end full of holes" dept.

Could be your suspension, or ride height, or tires, or wheel balance, or alignment, or contact patch size (in combination with odd road surfaces), or just timing that the wind was blowing worse on the day you were in the '02 (strange as it might seem).

If you're really curious, you could work at eliminating these variables. Just match everything up between the 2 cars and see.

The 94 might have an advantage in that it appears to be lower and sharper, but that doesn't mean that the 02 would be problematic either.
Old 01-27-2005 | 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dude, I don't care to hear anything else you have to say. I can give you the site that riceburners are on, you'll fit in right there. Right now in my mind I'm looking at you like you have a third eye in the middle of your forehead. The speedos are off?, who cares?! If you have the needle buried and sitting on the peg past 155, you can be certain that you are at 150 +. Please don't infect this thread with data that has nothing to do with the questions asked-- aerodynamic differences between LT1 and LS1 T/A's. Who cares about petty tech info about minute differences that MIGHT show the speedo is off by ?? m.p.h.-- Just go home and kick the dog because you are not making any headway here with the used toilet paper you are posting on pettiness. Nice knowing you -GOODBYE
You're the one posting info about topping out your car on a public road and looking at the speedometer and saying "wow, I'm going 150" and talking about the aerodynamics of stock domestic pony cars...I think you're the one who needs to relocate to the riceburner site, my friend. By the way just because the needle of the speedo is sitting on the peg doesn't mean you're going 150+ but we don't need to go over that again. If you'd like to know more about how tire circumference and gear ratio effects speedo readings you could do a quick google search. Also try and look up the article I mentioned, there's some valuable info on there. Your posts on this thread, your attitude, your luke warm knowledge of vehicle dynamics, and your comment about your Firehawk pulling away from your LT1 "like it's running on 7 cylinders" all strongly suggest that you're driving your first LS1. Just be careful my friend, you can get yourself in some serious trouble with that much power, a heavy foot, and little experience.
Old 01-27-2005 | 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HPP
Baud rates don't go up to 9600. You're talking about a bit rate. In the 2400bps and down, era, they worked out to be equal, but are not the same thing.

Bit rate is only an issue if it's being fully utilized. This means if the amount of data is enough to exceed the 9600bps, and if the "server" can provide it over that rate. This may or may not be the case.

Regardless, there is (intentional) inaccuracy in civilian GPS. It won't give you your exact location at any given point. Rather, your location within a certain radius (and I forget what it is). It's close enough to roughly get the job done for those in car map gizmo's, but I wouldn't rely on it for accurate speed measurement, since it can't really say just exactly where you are at any given point.

My point about rpm and gearing is that when people are saying they are at the top of fifth and pulling strong, they are going over 160mph.
I think am talking about baud rate. The GPS ground speed sensor I have messed with had a manual select baud rate of 4800, 9600, or 19200. It was a speed sensor that could plug into any GPS outputting VTG or RMC. But anyhow, I wont argue with you because it sounds like your GPS knowledge exceeds mine. But just for the conversation let's say a GPS speed sensor intentionally puts your location within a certain radius. Is it not possible that it could accurately measure distance traveled within this radius? Pinpointing an exact location and measuring distance traveled could be two different situations, could it not? The unit I messed with in my buddy's old 930 claimed to be accurate to less than 0.5% discrepancy from 0.5 to 100 kilometers per hour (German manufactured).
Old 01-27-2005 | 05:24 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Martingale
You're the one posting info about topping out your car on a public road and looking at the speedometer and saying "wow, I'm going 150" and talking about the aerodynamics of stock domestic pony cars...I think you're the one who needs to relocate to the riceburner site, my friend. By the way just because the needle of the speedo is sitting on the peg doesn't mean you're going 150+ but we don't need to go over that again. If you'd like to know more about how tire circumference and gear ratio effects speedo readings you could do a quick google search. Also try and look up the article I mentioned, there's some valuable info on there. Your posts on this thread, your attitude, your luke warm knowledge of vehicle dynamics, and your comment about your Firehawk pulling away from your LT1 "like it's running on 7 cylinders" all strongly suggest that you're driving your first LS1. Just be careful my friend, you can get yourself in some serious trouble with that much power, a heavy foot, and little experience.
Go away little boy. I am a grown man who has been around mega-dollar small blocks all my life. My father has his own engine shop and engine dyno in his backyard shop!!! I know more about engines and possiblilties right now than you will know when you die. Please go change your diaper and quit posting your weak dick, snivvling little brown nose comments here. You are not respected and will never be. Lets not turn this into a flame thread, because I have found all the info I need and there is no more use for this thread. Let this die, If you want to settle it way I want to, hopefully you live near Atlanta and can meet in person. Then we can .... talk I will not post this thread anymore unless you want to tell me where to meet you. Good bye
Old 01-27-2005 | 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Go away little boy. I am a grown man who has been around mega-dollar small blocks all my life. My father has his own engine shop and engine dyno in his backyard shop!!! I know more about engines and possiblilties right now than you will know when you die. Please go change your diaper and quit posting your weak dick, snivvling little brown nose comments here. You are not respected and will never be. Lets not turn this into a flame thread, because I have found all the info I need and there is no more use for this thread. Let this die, If you want to settle it way I want to, hopefully you live near Atlanta and can meet in person. Then we can .... talk I will not post this thread anymore unless you want to tell me where to meet you. Good bye
A grown man who slings insults involving fecal matter and threatens to beat people up on the internet? And an LS1 newbie to boot.
Old 01-27-2005 | 05:53 PM
Banned

A grown man who slings insults involving fecal matter and threatens to beat people up on the internet? And an LS1 newbie to boot.
I just looked at your post history. The questions aren't bad... for a woman. By the way 'maam, this is my second LSx car. My other is a Z06. Your other car is a '91 Rustang. hot stuff.
Old 01-27-2005 | 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is the speedo accurate in the Z06? In all seriousness a pissing match over speedo accuracy isn't necessary. I'm not here to argue over the internet, I'm just hear to build an F-body. Truce?
Old 01-27-2005 | 06:47 PM
Banned

Exclamation

Is the speedo accurate in the Z06? In all seriousness a pissing match over speedo accuracy isn't necessary. I'm not here to argue over the internet, I'm just hear to build an F-body. Truce?
Truce. I don't know everything. I do know that I'm hard headed and mean at times. Sorry bro.
Old 01-27-2005 | 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone do 140+ with the T-tops off and the windows down? It's noisy as hell.
Old 01-27-2005 | 09:31 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

In theory, if it could track your dot (say 15 feet) precisely, yes it could tell you your exact speed. But that puts you at the center of that dot, and therefore, is not an imprecise measurement at all. Precision is precision. You can't say too precisely what an objects speed is without knowing where it is at the begining and end of the measurement. Don't forget to factor in market-speak too. And being German doesn't make it have less marketing.

All of that is irrelevant to the thrust of this thread.

Firehawk#608 - what gear were you in, and what revs were you at? And is the car still wearing it's stock rolling stock and gearing? And is it an M6?

At about 5500rpm in 5th, it's around 164mph. That's basically the top of 5th. People who have gotten to the top of fith, were going that fast. And I've not heard of anyone getting a smaller total diameter when changing wheels, so if anything, they'd be going faster.

I just don't see this argument against their speed capability.
Old 01-28-2005 | 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

My stock suspension 96 Z28 at over 120 felt like it was floating around on the highway. As for my Bilstien Level 2 suspension optioned Formula Hawk (the Speedo read close to 160) and the suspension felt just as stable as when I do 90 on the highway. It might be due to no gaps in what spoiiler I do have unlike the T/A and Camaro. The road I did both of these runs on were 5 lanes and many miles of straight road at 3am when this was done only once. My car is an A4 with 2800 stall and a LS6 engine. I can not base the top end of a stock LS1 motor but (the feel) of the car at high speeds is excellent and there is a plce in Texas to go test your car at top speeds. People that go there are usually testing for the Bonnoville Salt Flats.
Old 01-28-2005 | 11:20 AM
Banned

My '02 has an M6. Stock chrome 17 inchers for the rolling stock. I've held 5th gear close to redline, then shifted to 6th. A few seconds after that it hit the speed limiter. That was VERY scary. I was expecting it to happen; if I didn't know that and wasn't braced for it, the jolt would have been enough to lose control...R.I.P I would advise anyone who runs on the circle tracks to get that limiter raised. As for the other question about the T-tops off, I've been to 135 a few times and it's loud but the buffeting isn't as bad as you'd think.
Old 01-28-2005 | 12:02 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

My '02 has an M6. Stock chrome 17 inchers for the rolling stock. I've held 5th gear close to redline, then shifted to 6th. A few seconds after that it hit the speed limiter. That was VERY scary. I was expecting it to happen; if I didn't know that and wasn't braced for it, the jolt would have been enough to lose control...R.I.P I would advise anyone who runs on the circle tracks to get that limiter raised. As for the other question about the T-tops off, I've been to 135 a few times and it's loud but the buffeting isn't as bad as you'd think.
And the limiter is set at 160 (or was it something like 162?). Thus, there is no question that these cars are MORE than capable of 150+mph speeds.
Old 01-28-2005 | 12:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HPP
And the limiter is set at 160 (or was it something like 162?). Thus, there is no question that these cars are MORE than capable of 150+mph speeds.
Dat be da troot!!! These cars are very impressive right out of the box.
Old 01-29-2005 | 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Does your hood on the hawk look like its rippling or waving a bit at high speed?
Old 01-30-2005 | 03:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive had mine past 160.

I have a navagation system that shows MPH. =)
Old 01-30-2005 | 08:26 AM
12 Second Club

Not to cause a pissing match here but I'd like to know how you guys knew you were going 150+. A stock LS1 is going to have its tongue hanging out at 155-160. I'm not seeing 3rd gens and LT1's doing 150+ unless they're modified. Even then if they are capable of those speeds you'd need a lot of room to get them up there, and then some sort or radar or GPS to confirm speed because the speedos are horribly inacurrate at those speeds.
Top speed for a 1993 LT1 is 155 as tested by several magazines bone stock.

Quick Reply: '94 Formula Vs '02 'hawk Aerodynamics