Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

camaro firebird, which is better

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's an exact quote from Motor Trend:
On the dragstrip, our Trans Am ripped 0-60 mph in 5.0 seconds and cleaned up the quarter mile in 13.5 seconds at 107.4 mph. (Funny how it beat the same-engined, similarly weighted Camaro SS by 0.2 second and 1.8 mph.) In handling, it mercilessly matches its Bow-Tie relative by pulling 0.84 g on the skidpad and zipping through the slalom at 64.6 mph. Mash the brake pedal to the floor, and the large 11.9-inch front and 12-inch rear vented disc brakes bring the Pontiac to a halt in 121 feet (11 better than the Camaro).
Old 04-12-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am guessing that was an A4 TA?
Old 04-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by psykoTA
I am guessing that was an A4 TA?
No sir, here's another quote from that same article:
For this test, we chose a 2000 Trans Am powered by a 5.7-liter (346 cubic inches, for you traditionalists) LS1 V-8 engine backed by a Borg-Warner six-speed manual transmission.
And here's the link to the article:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ird/index.html
Old 04-13-2005, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Delux247
No sir, here's another quote from that same article:

And here's the link to the article:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ird/index.html
I have yet to run mine down the 1320, if they ran that with a M6, I need a stall
Old 04-13-2005, 08:28 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Motor Trend
On the dragstrip, our Trans Am ripped 0-60 mph in 5.0 seconds and cleaned up the quarter mile in 13.5 seconds at 107.4 mph. (Funny how it beat the same-engined, similarly weighted Camaro SS by 0.2 second and 1.8 mph.) In handling, it mercilessly matches its Bow-Tie relative by pulling 0.84 g on the skidpad and zipping through the slalom at 64.6 mph. Mash the brake pedal to the floor, and the large 11.9-inch front and 12-inch rear vented disc brakes bring the Pontiac to a halt in 121 feet (11 better than the Camaro).
I'm glad you Pontiac guys found something to make you feel more superior to the Chevrolet cars

Last edited by DMNSPD; 04-13-2005 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
I'm glad you Pontiac guys found something to make you feel more superior to the Chevrolet cars

Any one can have a Firebird with a LS1...

But we all know that on the street or at the track these 2 'sisters' (Firebird/Camaro) are performing the same.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:33 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by ActionJack
But we all know that on the street or at the track these 2 'sisters' (Firebird/Camaro) are performing the same.
Most people recognize that, but there are plenty of people that strongly feel a WS6 is just sooo much faster than the plain 'ole Z28.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Most people recognize that, but there are plenty of people that strongly feel a WS6 is just sooo much faster than the plain 'ole Z28.
Well they are arent they?
Old 04-13-2005, 01:29 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

It's not that they are faster, it's just that they are..........better.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:30 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by A 2000 SS in Jersey
You should post this in the Vette area and get an unbiased, unadulterated, honest and highly subjective answer...........................OR not
Bah! Who cares of "unbiased"? We're here because we realize the Firebird is better, and you Camaro guys are there because you...don't realize the Firebird is better.

Old 04-13-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's an exact quote from Motor Trend:
After all the bullshit that magazine has published over the years, how in the hell can you possibly still believe what it says?

Just an FYI - MM&FF ran a stock Camaro Z28 (not even an SS) to a 12.8. So I guess that means Z28s are faster than Trans Ams and WAY faster than Camaro SS's, right?

Double FYI - Mag racing sucks.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

in the time they tested the two, the wind could have changed, the temperature could have dropped, the camaro could have had fewer break in miles, had one more dropped clutch that resulted in less grip, there could have been a few more bugs in the grill of the SS.... please. As much as i would like to think my car is faster, the truth is it comes down to styling and nothing else. If you have a TA and you roll up on an SS an expect to win b/c 3 40yr old editors in some magazine trapped 1.2mph faster in the TA when they tested the two, then do yourself a favor and shut up...
Old 04-13-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Xtreme57
in the time they tested the two, the wind could have changed, the temperature could have dropped, the camaro could have had fewer break in miles, had one more dropped clutch that resulted in less grip, there could have been a few more bugs in the grill of the SS.... please. As much as i would like to think my car is faster, the truth is it comes down to styling and nothing else. If you have a TA and you roll up on an SS an expect to win b/c 3 40yr old editors in some magazine trapped 1.2mph faster in the TA when they tested the two, then do yourself a favor and shut up...
End of discussion.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:51 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Yes, you have humbled me, the lowly Camaro owner.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Ummm... I don't have any superiority complex over camaros and I just posted a quote from a magazine. You're acting like I'm preaching everything Motor Trend says as gospel. I sure as hell DON'T like them that much. Remember their bullshit review of the Firehawk in 1999 when they compared it to other top-end cars? Someone asked if there was a difference, people were offering opinions, so I posted a link to a major magazine's opinion. End of story. Way to get your panties in a bunch over nothing.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ummm... I don't have any superiority complex over camaros and I just posted a quote from a magazine. You're acting like I'm preaching everything Motor Trend says as gospel. I sure as hell DON'T like them that much. Remember their bullshit review of the Firehawk in 1999 when they compared it to other top-end cars? Someone asked if there was a difference, people were offering opinions, so I posted a link to a major magazine's opinion. End of story. Way to get your panties in a bunch over nothing.
Agreed, no need to get all flustered, were all on the same side right?
Old 04-13-2005, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by psykoTA
Agreed, no need to get all flustered, were all on the same side right?
EXACTLY. Before I found my TA for such a great price, I almost bought a Z28... I've always loved Camaros, and I like the looks of a Z28 a lot more than a Formula, but that's just my $.02
Old 04-13-2005, 11:35 PM

Camaro or Firebird...? Depends on who is driving
Old 04-14-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

Oh no man, you definitely mistook what i was saying - i wasn't trying to call you out specifically and i certainly don't wear panties. I was just trying to give some overview of the question in general. And the ppl i was calling out are all of the magazine racers who think just b/c my 'LS1' rolls up next to a 'LT1' that b/c MT or R&T say i should win, i'm gonna win.

We've all seen them - 'my 700hp supra is the fastest car on road (from a roll and i don't drag race)'. Or like this guy i talked to the other day - he had a new M3 and he was tryin to sound excessively cool by telling me he dusted a C5 on the highway. But as soon as i told him i had beaten an M3 from a roll he nearly lost his mind - like 'how could a Pontiac beat a BMW?!'. I honestly couldn't care less about how many people think like that, because the more there are, the better chances i have of coming across one.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Oh no man, you definitely mistook what i was saying - i wasn't trying to call you out specifically and i certainly don't wear panties. I was just trying to give some overview of the question in general. And the ppl i was calling out are all of the magazine racers who think just b/c my 'LS1' rolls up next to a 'LT1' that b/c MT or R&T say i should win, i'm gonna win.

We've all seen them - 'my 700hp supra is the fastest car on road (from a roll and i don't drag race)'. Or like this guy i talked to the other day - he had a new M3 and he was tryin to sound excessively cool by telling me he dusted a C5 on the highway. But as soon as i told him i had beaten an M3 from a roll he nearly lost his mind - like 'how could a Pontiac beat a BMW?!'. I honestly couldn't care less about how many people think like that, because the more there are, the better chances i have of coming across one.
Agreed. Sorry about the mix-up. We're all friends here.

Quick Reply: camaro firebird, which is better