Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

How many miles do you get per gallon?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Do you guys have Shell "v-power" premium gas?
Whens the last time you checked your filters?
Also, think about the elevation differences, do you know your elevation?
BTW what RPM do you switch up at under 'normal' driving?

Yeah we have the "v-power" here its all 91 octane that is the highest. SUCKS>..I used to run the 100 but they took it all out of this town...sucks. Elevation...Im on the Valley floor in Cali.So my elevation is very low, is that going to make a difference? Under normal driving I shift at 2500-3k RPM.
I dont know my friend says its my lead foot but I really dont get on it that much, that I know of. I will observe more. But people seem to be passing me and I still get shitty mileage.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by badassws6
Yeah we have the "v-power" here its all 91 octane that is the highest. SUCKS>..I used to run the 100 but they took it all out of this town...sucks. Elevation...Im on the Valley floor in Cali.So my elevation is very low, is that going to make a difference? Under normal driving I shift at 2500-3k RPM.
I dont know my friend says its my lead foot but I really dont get on it that much, that I know of. I will observe more. But people seem to be passing me and I still get shitty mileage.
Well atleast you have 91, some places dont even have that high...

Elevation will make a difference, generally the higher up you are, the less power your car will be making (due to atmospheric pressure or something like that), thats why youll notice that the higher up people are running slower times.

You might want to consider shifting at a lower RPM, usually under 'normal' (granny) driving I shift at 2000RPMs or lower. Also maybe skip gears, I skip around all the time, 1 to 3, 3 to 5, etc.
Do you have alot of crap in your car? The more the weight the worse the gas milage youll get...
Also how many miles do you have on your car?
Old 05-25-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still thinking there is another reason for your crappy gas mileage, FYI I usually shift @ around the same RPM you do, and at least once a day I'm winding it out to 6k, (gotta get up to speed before merging on the highway ) and I still get 19-22 on a usual weeks worth of driving, so I still think your driving style isn't the cause of your poor mileage
Old 05-25-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I get 17.3 city and around 26 highway. Its an auto with 2.73s and Im not always light with the gas.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:24 AM
TECH Resident

Check your tire pressure and make sure your car is aligned.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Well atleast you have 91, some places dont even have that high...

Elevation will make a difference, generally the higher up you are, the less power your car will be making (due to atmospheric pressure or something like that), thats why youll notice that the higher up people are running slower times.

You might want to consider shifting at a lower RPM, usually under 'normal' (granny) driving I shift at 2000RPMs or lower. Also maybe skip gears, I skip around all the time, 1 to 3, 3 to 5, etc.
Do you have alot of crap in your car? The more the weight the worse the gas milage youll get...
Also how many miles do you have on your car?

Yeah I do skip gears occasionally...like you said.
At times I do have a car seat and stoller in the back seats...LMAO ...I Know its a site to see....
But I have just under 25K miles on my car now. I have driven since I filled it up this morning 39 miles and its dropped to almost the 3/4 line. Yeah I dont get it...I was driving ...well normal....didnt race anyone...
Old 05-26-2005, 02:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I get 280miles with a full tank in my T/A
Old 05-26-2005, 03:28 AM
TECH Resident

Change brands of gas and see what happens.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FBDYLVR
Change brands of gas and see what happens.
Yeah I will try that next I have been primarily using Chevron with Techron. Cause its by my work and I usually fill up there. And then the other times I get Shell V-power. I will monitor this tank and see what happens. Its not leaking cause there isnt any "obvious" signs of leaking. Hmm...Im also going to try to shift at 2k instead of 3k and see if that makes a difference.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

It will, I keep my foot out of it and never let it go over 2250 rpms (A4) and I get decent city mileage.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

Im thinking maybe its this town. There is so much stop and go , and redlights every 100 yards. I think that may have alot to do with it. Cause it's not a continuous stretch to drive when you have to come to a complete stop every 1/4 mile practically. I get ok Milage on the freeway not sure the specs but I drove to San Diego on a tank of gas and that is almost a 300 mile drive one way. Im taking that into consideration too. But still....I wonder...
Old 05-26-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Well the highway mileage sounds a little low, but that could be how fast you're going.
The way it's so bad around town, makes me wonder if someone might be stealing your gas, get a locking gas cap and see
Old 05-26-2005, 05:57 PM
Teching In

I'm having a similar problem. Just moved to LA and my mileage instantly dropped from 18-20 citympg to 12-14 with similar driving. Took it to a dealer and of course since it wasn't throwing a code there was nothing wrong. I added some fuel injector cleaner which got me the 14mpg. The car has 33k babied miles and im going to change my pluugs, and fuel filter to see if that helps. I've also seemed to notice a drop in lowend torque. I have to keep my foot in the gas a bit more to keep her cruising i think. Been here about 2 months.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
Well the highway mileage sounds a little low, but that could be how fast you're going.
The way it's so bad around town, makes me wonder if someone might be stealing your gas, get a locking gas cap and see

I have a locking gas cap , so thats not the prob...I know it baffles the hell out of me. I went out earlier, drove around, I was shifting at like 2k, which bugs when you dont have that skip shift eliminator, I need to get one. Im going to do that on this tank of gas and see if that helps.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by alivegy
I'm having a similar problem. Just moved to LA and my mileage instantly dropped from 18-20 citympg to 12-14 with similar driving. Took it to a dealer and of course since it wasn't throwing a code there was nothing wrong. I added some fuel injector cleaner which got me the 14mpg. The car has 33k babied miles and im going to change my pluugs, and fuel filter to see if that helps. I've also seemed to notice a drop in lowend torque. I have to keep my foot in the gas a bit more to keep her cruising i think. Been here about 2 months.
Yeah Its something up with Cali I think. They are trying to rip us off and get their money back for that bill about tripling the car tax. They figured they had to make their money back somehow so they are ******* with the gas, not like they arent screwing us on the gas prices in the first place geez....LOL...I dont know just a though.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

10 mpg, there is something wrong with your car. I don't care if you put 87 in it, it shouldn't be getting that low mpg. How old are your plugs/wires? Fuel filter? It sounds like it could be fuel delivery related. Any hesitation when accelerating? I'd get it looked at.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:16 AM
12 Second Club

I'm getting around 180-220 per tank in the city in the bird, this is of course with the A/C on all the time and realativley easy driving. On the highway she's great though, easy 320mi + at 70-75mph crusing arund 1700rpm in 6th.

Thank god my Honda's are still good for something lol!
Old 05-27-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Yes we CA people get screwed with gas, the prices are inflated because of the additives they put in and the additives make our gas mileage go down... I can't wait til I go to Vegas and fill up there!
Old 05-27-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I get 13mpg on the 00 TA m6, and 8mpg on the 79 TA a3
Old 05-27-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FBDYLVR
Yes we CA people get screwed with gas, the prices are inflated because of the additives they put in and the additives make our gas mileage go down... I can't wait til I go to Vegas and fill up there!
Its Cali . Thats the bottom line. I knew it was f***ed up. Sucks. Im still going to monitor if I shift a 2k

Quick Reply: How many miles do you get per gallon?