Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firehawk headache

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firehawk headache

Where do the firehawks stand. what i mean is i kno the formula and the t/a are about the same and a ws6 is a performance upgrade for the t/a, is the firehawk an upgrade for the formula??? And what kinda hp do they put out stock
Old 08-31-2005, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

firehawks can be either formulas or trans ams. they begin life as one of those cars, then are sent to SLP to be converted into firehawks. it's not much different than a WS6- they have 17" rims and 275 tires, beefier suspension, some firehawk emblems, and a ram air hood (different than the WS6 hood). you could also order them with different options- a catback exhaust and air intake lid (the "345 HP" package), firehawk logo floormats, bilstein suspension, blah blah.
horsepower-wise, they tended to be rated slightly higher than WS6s (it varied from year to year, one year was 327, another was 335, etc). basically though, they're not really any stronger than a WS6 or a normal Trans Am. the 345 HP package ones would be slightly stronger than a stock TA, but once you add a lid and catback to the TA (which most people here do), they're equal again.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks man, so your saying theyre kinda like the slp SS
Old 08-31-2005, 11:55 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MonsterZ28
thanks man, so your saying theyre kinda like the slp SS
I'd say the Camaro SS is like the Firehawk since the 'hawk was started back during the end of the third-gen f-body. That puts it well before the fourth-gen Camaro SS.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
I'd say the Camaro SS is like the Firehawk since the 'hawk was started back during the end of the third-gen f-body. That puts it well before the fourth-gen Camaro SS.
the third gen firehawk and the fourth gen firehawk are two totally different beasts. third gens were available with entirely different engines and transmissions, as well as ferrari F40 brakes, racing seats, etc. the 4th gen was based off the LT1 that all formulas/trans ams had, so it wasn't anywhere near the performance gain that the 3rd gens had over the regular TAs (except of course for the 97 LT4 firehawks, but there were only like 27 of those- or maybe 29?).
it's accurate to say that the SS is more like the firehawk than the WS6. there were options available on the SS that were kind of similar to the firehawk- embroidered floormats, the 345 HP package, suspension options, and other things.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I found a 2001 Black pontiac firehawk for 11,000. It looks pretty stock and has about 36,xxx miles on it. Should i assume there is something wrong???
Old 09-01-2005, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

I found a 2001 Black pontiac firehawk for 11,000. It looks pretty stock and has about 36,xxx miles on it. Should i assume there is something wrong???
that does seem pretty low. i'd have the car looked at by a mechanic, and get a carfax on it. if the title is clear, and there are no obvious mechanical problems, go for it. also, ask the seller a lot of questions.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea i plan on getting a carfax on the cars I'm looking at tonight. I did the blue book value on it, and the trade in value isnt even that low, both private party and retail value were above 14
Old 09-01-2005, 01:19 PM
Banned

Probably a typo on the price. It should be $21,xxx unless it's a salvage title.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats what im thinking , im gonna do a carfax and call him today
Old 09-01-2005, 08:19 PM
'Bird Director

Maybe it's one of those rare finds that's not "too good to be true". I hope it works out for you.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:22 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by bbfirebird
the third gen firehawk and the fourth gen firehawk are two totally different beasts. third gens were available with entirely different engines and transmissions, as well as ferrari F40 brakes, racing seats, etc. the 4th gen was based off the LT1 that all formulas/trans ams had, so it wasn't anywhere near the performance gain that the 3rd gens had over the regular TAs (except of course for the 97 LT4 firehawks, but there were only like 27 of those- or maybe 29?).
it's accurate to say that the SS is more like the firehawk than the WS6. there were options available on the SS that were kind of similar to the firehawk- embroidered floormats, the 345 HP package, suspension options, and other things.
I think my response was misunderstood. What I meant was that the Camaro SS should be compared to the Firehawk, and not the other way around since the Firehawk debuted well before the Camaro SS. I wasn't discussing the platform/drivetrain/etc.

Sorry I wasn't clearer with my explanation.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Been talking with him, he says hes in the us military and is in slovakia. For no extra charge the car will be shipped back into the U.S. and brought to my house I feel like one of those rich poeple that have nothing better to do then buy cars from foriegn countries lol.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:56 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

IMHO, they should never have started converting Trans Ams. They started out as Formula enhancements and should have stayed that. Partly because of the name itself.

What's the deal with the Blackbirds? I know you could order a Firehawk from the dealer (wish I had the money and time to do that, I was lucky to get a new WS6 in mid '02 ).
Old 09-02-2005, 07:59 AM
Banned

Thumbs down

Been talking with him, he says hes in the us military and is in slovakia. For no extra charge the car will be shipped back into the U.S. and brought to my house I feel like one of those rich poeple that have nothing better to do then buy cars from foriegn countries lol.
I would NOT send any money in advance. That situation sounds like those too good to be true deals that turns out to be a scam. Italy,Nigeria, Greece, England, sellers of a brother's car who passed away, or I'm too busy or broke to keep it. How the F#CK is he going to take a multi thousand dollar hit to cover the shipping as well? Let me guess, he wants a deposit via Western Union? DO YOURSELF A FAVOR,WALK AWAY FROM THAT DEAL!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 08:13 AM
Launching!

that's a scam, watch out
Old 09-02-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

He said its through square trade. I've been to there web site, they work through ebay to. Needless to say i will make sure i have copies of everything to verify the deal and that i sent the money, and if anything goes wrong that guy will be paying out the *** cause we're taking it to court.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

He said its through square trade. I've been to there web site, they work through ebay to. Needless to say i will make sure i have copies of everything to verify the deal and that i sent the money, and if anything goes wrong that guy will be paying out the *** cause we're taking it to court.

STAY AWAY! DON'T DO IT!

"I found a 2001 Black pontiac firehawk for 11,000. It looks pretty stock and has about 36,xxx miles on it. Should i assume there is something wrong???"

"Been talking with him, he says hes in the us military and is in slovakia. For no extra charge the car will be shipped back into the U.S. and brought to my house. I feel like one of those rich poeple that have nothing better to do then buy cars from foriegn countries lol."
Old 09-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Banned

Hey man. There's a guy in the classified section on this forum that has a 2001 Firehawk that has 36,xxx and he wants 14k. This guy is here in America and he has tons of photos posted on the thread. Plus his car is modded to hell and back with ALL the goodies on it!
Old 09-02-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im not doin that man its a ****** scam, I saw that guys firebird and i did a carfax on it and its been totaled

Quick Reply: Firehawk headache