Very nice.

What's you plates going to say?

I vote for: Ban-Ls1
Old 02-14-2006, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slvrhwk
What's you plates going to say?
I've been debating that. I've been trying to decide if I want to go as stealth as possible, which would mean no outward references to LS1 at all. With a stock-looking exterior, you'd never know what was hiding underneath. Great sleeper.

If I opt to give away the LS1 aspect, I was thinking of LS1BNDT. 99% of the people won't understand - they'll probably figure it's "lose one bandit" (assuming they even figure out bndt == bandit). But those who know will know.

BTW if I find out LS1BNDT gets taken by one of you guys (in CA) I'm gonna track you down and beat you senseless!
Old 02-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Banned

damn that is beautiful! and you'll be skootin with that LS1!
Old 02-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Banned

I thought that since it was made before 1980, it wasn't held to modern emmissions laws. LS1's sound killer with heavy cams and 2.5" tru-dual exhaust with single chamber Flowmasters. That engine can make another 75hp easily if you wanted.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
I thought that since it was made before 1980, it wasn't held to modern emmissions laws.
When you do a conversion, you are held to the emissions standards of the engine you're putting in (and the engine has to be newer than the body). So I need to comply with full OBD-II emissions. That's going to be a big PITA, but it's possible.

LS1's sound killer with heavy cams and 2.5" tru-dual exhaust with single chamber Flowmasters. That engine can make another 75hp easily if you wanted.
I'm still doing a 2.5" true-dual exhaust exiting at the rear-quarter with the dual-tips just like the original. Everything after the cats is free-game (though you're still subject to noise pollution laws) so that's not an issue. I haven't decided yet on which muffler to go with. The Sweet Thunders sound pretty nice.

After it gets passed by the smog referee I'll look into additional mods. The refs are extremely strict so it's easiest to go through as bone-stock as possible.

Almost certainly high-flow cats, possibly QTP LT's, CAI, maybe a pulley, maybe a ported TB and a dyno tune. The rest depends on how much the conversion ends up costing me and how much I decide to put into suspension and brakes, and whether or not you dweebs talk me into changing out the wheels (that money could be put into a nice h/c combo ....).
Old 02-15-2006, 02:05 PM
Banned

Do cam only. You'll still get 420 hp at the wheels with the right combo. Take the head $$$ and buy some new running shoes for the Bandit. Torque Thrust 2's aren't very expensive and they'll do wonders on the "visual drag strip."
Old 02-15-2006, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
Torque Thrust 2's aren't very expensive and they'll do wonders on the "visual drag strip."
Yeah, I've been looking into them after you mentioned it before. Not too bad. One thing I'm trying to avoid is a ricer and/or pro-touring look. The Torques have a decent retro-muscle look (I think they were used on racing versions of some of the muscle cars back in the 60's, right?). I'm trying to decide which ones might look best. The Thrust D's and the Thrust Classics have a solid look to them. The Thrust II's are a bit shiny and start to border on pro-touring, but not too bad.

I wish I could see what these would look like on my car. Hard to tell from pictures. I may stop at a wheel store later today and see if they have any of them in stock.

Just out of curiosity - suggestions on what wheel size would be best?
Old 02-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Banned

If you do the 2's you'll have a cleaner more modern design. I think you'll be happier than with the D's or classics.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:22 PM
Launching!

oh that sucks about arnold changing the smog laws so that the 30 year roll stops in 05. i was under the impression you would only have to pass smog a couple times and then do what you want. i am glad mine is a 1970 though. mine looks now what yours used to look like. i can't decide wether to stick with my rebuilt 400 and muncie or go ls1 and t56. if i could find a good donor car i would probably go ls1. i'm in cali and you say ls1bndt hasn't been taken huh
Old 02-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Restricted User

These are 17x9.5
Old 02-15-2006, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 76LS1BIRD
These are 17x9.5
And the fit is OK? What about the 17x11 315's you have on the rear? Did you have to do any BFH work to make them work?
Old 02-16-2006, 08:14 AM
Banned

I like the look 76ls1, but those are due for a polishing BIG TIME. They'll really add some bling if you rub some polish by hand once per month 20 minutes per rim.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats a bandit trans am???
Sorry it makes me hopping mad when people refer to 77-78 ta's as bandit ta's.
As much as I loved the movie I think we all here realize that the only "bandit" ta was made in Cherry Hill, NJ by an aftermarket company.
I understand why people refer to them as bandit ta's, just chaps my *** is all, can't tell you why....
BTW I own and 81 ta..yes the last year for the 2nd gen, and I think you have a beautiful car there. I can't wait to hear what it runs like with the ls1 under the hood.
Maybe we can race our 2nd gens, after all your ls1 should be able to take my puny 301
Old 02-16-2006, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
whats a bandit trans am???
See my response to 300bhp earlier in this thread.

Maybe we can race our 2nd gens, after all your ls1 should be able to take my puny 301 :
Hmmm....that's a shifty look you got there. Somehow methinks that 301 is not stock.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:43 PM
Launching!

the reason their referred to as bandit is for the same reason any ford torrino is the starsky and hutch car or any charger is the general lee. people don't know the exact year it is just easier to say it. also the movies we watched as kids shaped our oppinions of cool. i don't know if i would like the 78 ta as much if i had not seen burt jumping her, burning rubber, and ditching cops in it. we loved the movies and it made the car stick out forever as the bandit car.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:39 PM
mcG
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
I think we all here realize that the only "bandit" ta was made in Cherry Hill, NJ by an aftermarket company.
is this true? i live a town over but never heard of it.

and your t/a conversion looks great. did it use to have the 6.6l engine? what kind of numbers did they put out?
Old 02-17-2006, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mcG
is this true? i live a town over but never heard of it.
Here's a website that explains the whole thing:

http://www.78ta.com/banditedition.htm

and your t/a conversion looks great. did it use to have the 6.6l engine? what kind of numbers did they put out?
Yes, it was the pontiac 400 (not the Olds 403). I didn't get numbers on it and the engine is just about to be pulled out, so I'll never know .... But I've talked to people that say the 400 responds pretty well to mods.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks swet man...but my goodness loose thoes wheels
Old 02-17-2006, 06:55 PM

Awesome set up. I had a 77 T/A in high school. Loved that car. I would love to have another and put an ls1 in it. There is a 79 for sale down the road from me.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by THE_SUPRA
looks swet man...but my goodness loose thoes wheels
Yeah, yeah. I've been beaten into submission on that one. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what I want to do. Purely on style, the Fikse FM/10's with gold anodized centers look the best to me, but the price is really steep (about $3K for a set). Then there's these:

Though I don't know what brand they are. They actually look a bit like the FM/10's and even if that's not what they are, I expect they're as pricey as the Fikses.

Then there's the Torque Thrust II's with gold centers, but I'm not sure how to get them that way - I suspect I need to find someone that can paint/powder-coat them.

And there's a set of HRE's that are black that another forum member has. And finally there's the regular Torque Thrust II's.

I have a thread going on about this in the Wheels forum. Anyone that has any thoughts/ideas on this is highly encouraged to comment.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/454458-wheels-78-t.html

Quick Reply: One more time ...Bandit T/A w/LS1 Conversion