Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Monsoon radio colors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm off subject, but, if I replace the stock stereo with an aftermarket (DEH-P4700MP) will I be able to use the controls on the steering wheel? If not, is there any way to make them work without having to build myself a special circuit board? (1998 Convertible TA, don't know if it's the Monsoon system, just got it and I haven't had a chance to really check everything out.)
Old 03-16-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

All you have to do is buy an adaptor for the steering wheel controls. Most places carry them or can order you one. They are like $50.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Or you guys could just switch over to the chevy radio, like this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...QQcmdZViewItem

I have a stock one in my Jimmy, and I think it looks a lot better then the stock one that was in my firebird [went with an aftermarket pioneer unit].
Old 03-17-2006, 07:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaotic Firebird
Or you guys could just switch over to the chevy radio...
Yes but that would lead to the same situation that started the thread - it's the wrong color. The Camaro radios are black with blue/white illumination while the Firebird radios are dark gray with light gray controls and red illumination. The black face might not look too much out of place in a Firebird but the blue/white illumination would look aftermarket in a dash that's all red otherwise. You would also lose the graphic equalizer that comes on the Firebird radios.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Also, the Camaro radio and Firebird radios are not a simple 'swap one for the other'. My Mother bought a 97 Z28. For some unknown reason the previous owner had installed a Firebird radio in it. The radio would not fit correctly. The mounts are different and there was a gap above the radio. She bought a Camaro radio on Ebay to fix the problem.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:55 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Actually, at least on the 98-up models, the two are completely interchangeable as far as mounting. Older models should be as well but you have to remove the factory brackets from the side of the radio and mount them on the replacement radio. The brackets are just held on by screws so they are easy to exchange.

The wiring harness connections are also the same although not all of the features are supported in both models. The Camaro has speed sensitive volume but Firebirds don't have the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) wire in the harness. On the other hand, Firebirds have a power antenna but the Camaro doesn't have the power wire for the antenna in its harness.

Quick Reply: Monsoon radio colors?