Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

production numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default production numbers?

where can i find the production numbers for the 1989 WS6 350tpi package that came with the firebird formula. So far ive found out 16,000+ firebird formulas were made.. but how many were ws6? and how many werent? I know it was only produced for a 2 year period.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

All Formula 350's (L98) would have the WS6 package. I think all the 305 TPI Formula's had the WS6 as well. It would be a small # of TBI Formulas that did not have it. I'm thumbing through some books right now.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Well, it looks like all Formulas is 1989 came with the WS6 package. Here is a excerpt from my source.

In the general 1989 section:
The lowest-priced Firebird was the base model with a standard 2.8 liter V6 and five speed manual. All V6s now had the FE1 suspension package with 30mm front/18mm rear anti-roll bars.
Added standard equipment for V8 models included a Trans Am-style F41 suspension and Air Conditioning. Base Firebird carried the exterior striping package as Formulas.
The Formula was aimed at buyer interested in high performance "street machines". It provided maximum "oomph" for a minimum price. This package's "Trans Am engine" had 10 additional horsepower thanks to a new dual catalytic converter low backpressure exhaust system. Pontiac claimed this equated to a .2 to .3 second cut in 0 to 60 mph times. Also standard was a WS6 suspension ,air conditioning and revised exterior graphics with narrower stripes.
In the 1989 Formula section. (Series 2F/S)
For 1989, the Formula Firebird carried the same exterior striping package as the base model. The Formula was aimed at buyer interested in high performance "street machines". It provided maximum "oomph" for a minimum price. This package's "Trans Am engine" had 10 additional horsepower thanks to a new dual catalytic converter low backpressure exhaust system. Pontiac claimed this equated to a .2 to .3 second cut in 0 to 60 mph times. Also standard on Formulas was the WS6 package and revised exterior graphics with narrower body side stripes.

I pulled this from the following.

"Standard Catalog of Firebird 1967-2002" by John Gunnell
Old 03-13-2006, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

im trying to find out how many came out like that, not the history.

Originally Posted by 89KARR
Well, it looks like all Formulas is 1989 came with the WS6 package. Here is a excerpt from my source.

In the general 1989 section:
The lowest-priced Firebird was the base model with a standard 2.8 liter V6 and five speed manual. All V6s now had the FE1 suspension package with 30mm front/18mm rear anti-roll bars.
Added standard equipment for V8 models included a Trans Am-style F41 suspension and Air Conditioning. Base Firebird carried the exterior striping package as Formulas.
The Formula was aimed at buyer interested in high performance "street machines". It provided maximum "oomph" for a minimum price. This package's "Trans Am engine" had 10 additional horsepower thanks to a new dual catalytic converter low backpressure exhaust system. Pontiac claimed this equated to a .2 to .3 second cut in 0 to 60 mph times. Also standard was a WS6 suspension ,air conditioning and revised exterior graphics with narrower stripes.
In the 1989 Formula section. (Series 2F/S)
For 1989, the Formula Firebird carried the same exterior striping package as the base model. The Formula was aimed at buyer interested in high performance "street machines". It provided maximum "oomph" for a minimum price. This package's "Trans Am engine" had 10 additional horsepower thanks to a new dual catalytic converter low backpressure exhaust system. Pontiac claimed this equated to a .2 to .3 second cut in 0 to 60 mph times. Also standard on Formulas was the WS6 package and revised exterior graphics with narrower body side stripes.

I pulled this from the following.

"Standard Catalog of Firebird 1967-2002" by John Gunnell
Old 03-13-2006, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Default help in production #s

my car is a 1989 ws6 firebird formula. it came out orgionally with a L98 but now it has a chevy 350 in it.

how many of these cars were made back then? 16,000?

and what does that plate with the #s on it in the nose of the car under the hood mean? A4 1208.

looking for a little help in finding out if my car is semi-rare or not at all these days.

i see alot of ws6's from 87-89 but in junkyards.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by nighTdecals
my car is a 1989 ws6 firebird formula. it came out orgionally with a L98 but now it has a chevy 350 in it..
So you have a 1989 Firebird Formula 350.

how many of these cars were made back then? 16,000?.
What # of cars? Just Formula 350s? All Formulas? (350 TPI, 305 TPI, 305 TBI)

looking for a little help in finding out if my car is semi-rare or not at all these days..
Well, probably rare in the fact as there is not a lot of Formula 350s on the road. Rare IMO means unmolested. I nuked my Formula 350 to make it look like an 82 Trans Am. Being as you no longer have the original L98, I wouldn't call it too rare. I mean, RPO and vin rare, and "on the streets" rare, but not like collectors rare. Collectors Rare is that other 89 with the V-6.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

ahh thank you.

i know from the history of my car found on this board actually, that it was born with a L98. Someone put a junkyard 350 motor in it later. So i was tempted to put a L98 BACK into the car considering that my 350 is tired and ready to go anyway.

Im trying to find out if back then, was it worth anything. What was its production # and of how many? Nevermind what is in it now. =]

Quick Reply: production numbers?