Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

FireHawk or Special Edition, Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, I have learned so much about these cars during this week and I am soo happy to see that most post's support the Hawk. I truly was in such a jam deciding especially since there is so little discussion on which is better, so I truly beleive this topic will be viewed by allot of people that too want to know the publics opinion. I really did hate that Yellow color but I also have never seen a white FireHawk.. so I hope it looks good. Does anybody know why they only made 60 White FireHawks?
Ohh yea, just to add some cheese to my suprise.. I ordered a jumbo red bow... Cheezy I know, but I'm just such a girly girl...

Last edited by izmini; 03-17-2006 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-17-2006, 07:21 PM
Launching!

the firehawk
Old 03-17-2006, 07:56 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by izmini
Honestly, I have learned so much about these cars during this week and I am soo happy to see that most post's support the Hawk. I truly was in such a jam deciding especially since there is so little discussion on which is better, so I truly beleive this topic will be viewed by allot of people that too want to know the publics opinion. I really did hate that Yellow color but I also have never seen a white FireHawk.. so I hope it looks good. Does anybody know why they only made 60 White FireHawks?
Ohh yea, just to add some cheese to my suprise.. I ordered a jumbo red bow... Cheezy I know, but I'm just such a girly girl...
I'm glad to see that you're happy with the one you chose. They're both great cars, and your husband will be very happy with you and the Firehawk.

I'd have to say that neither car is better than the other. It all boils down to personal preference. It's kind of like the "Chevy vs. Ford" argument....it will never be settled.

Snap a shot of the car with the bow on it....we'd all like to see it
Old 03-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Teching In

I deffinetly will.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by izmini
I really did hate that Yellow color
If you did'nt like the color it should have been an easy choice..DUH..
Old 03-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mellowyellow
If you did'nt like the color it should have been an easy choice..DUH..
But it wasn't for her. She wanted the most bang for the buck for her hubby. That's why she asked the fanatics-us.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

Mine's not a real Firehawk, but always liked the look of the Formula Firehawks, so I got the wheels and hood.

Forgot to mention, think he will love the car, excellent choice!!

Last edited by ArcticFormula; 03-18-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:34 PM
Banned

ArcticFormula- Nice job. Not everybody adds the badge where the hood meets the bumper. They leave the gap. I guess they didn't know a badge was used as a bridge. Nice looking ride.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

^Thanks man, especially cool coming from a guy who has one of the baddest Firehawks in the country. I'm always amazed when I see you signature pics, damn that's sweet
Old 03-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Launching!

you have one lucky husband, i sure hope my future wife is as giving as you! lol great choice and he will love it!
Old 03-18-2006, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Okay....I'm new...

What makes the Firehawk better than a regular WS6? Suspension and hood?
Old 03-19-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Arctic formula.. I've never seen the badge right on the nose.. thats awsome is it stock badge for the firehawks, or something you just added?
Old 03-20-2006, 12:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's the stock badge for firehawks
Old 03-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 00'WS6Rocket
Arctic formula.. I've never seen the badge right on the nose.. thats awsome is it stock badge for the firehawks, or something you just added?
It's there so the hood doesn't look higher than the bumper. It smooths out the transition. Here's a picture of mine.

Old 03-20-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Firebirdfan
Okay....I'm new...

SLP headers and thus a bit more HP. And yes the hoods are different.

Jack
Old 03-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebirdfan
Okay....I'm new...

According to the 2000 RPO list the WS6 option included ram air induction (thus the different hood and airbox), specially tuned suspension, high flow exhaust system with dual tips, 17" wheels and 275/40ZR17 tires, and badging/decals. It's my understanding that the suspension upgrades were dropped from the package in 01 and 02. The package was available only on V8 models (Formula and Trans Am) - there was a separate "performance" package designated Y87 for the V6 models.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ActionJack
SLP headers and thus a bit more HP. And yes the hoods are different.
Sorry Jack, but the LS1-LT1 SLP cars such as the Firehawk did NOT come delivered with headers. (And I'm not referring to any LT4 cars here, nor the early SLP performance cars.)

Some received special SLP options like the Bilstein or the 1LE suspension upgrades. The 1LE added bigger sway bars, stiffer bushings, different springs & Koni dual-adjustable shocks all around. Bilstein was a spring/shock package but I'm not sure if it included sway bars.

They did receive the SLP stainless steel cat-back.
They did receive the 17" wheels, whether it be painted or plated. (Lighter than the WS6 wheels.)
They did receive the functional 'Ram Air' hood with heat extractors.
(Is the WS6 hood with the up-level nostrils really functional? I don't know, I'm not a WS6 owner. The hood I'm asking about now, not the lower nostrils.)
Some of the late '02's even came with an upgrade on the airbox which improved breathing even more..

Everyone can argue the WS6 / Firehawk debate all day long. But the Firehawk is more 'exclusive'? There are tons of WS6 cars around. Granted not that many CETA's. And the CETA has nothing over the other WS6 cars other than the special yellow color & decals. But there are a lot fewer numbers of the Firehawk models.

The general thought is that the Firehawk is a more desirable performance oriented car. Note, 'general thought', ...
Old 03-20-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
According to the 2000 RPO list the WS6 option included ram air induction (thus the different hood and airbox), specially tuned suspension, high flow exhaust system with dual tips, 17" wheels and 275/40ZR17 tires, and badging/decals. It's my understanding that the suspension upgrades were dropped from the package in 01 and 02. The package was available only on V8 models (Formula and Trans Am) - there was a separate "performance" package designated Y87 for the V6 models.
01 and 02 only offered the WS6 with the TA.

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
Sorry Jack, but the LS1-LT1 SLP cars such as the Firehawk did NOT come delivered with headers. (And I'm not referring to any LT4 cars here, nor the early SLP performance cars.)

Some received special SLP options like the Bilstein or the 1LE suspension upgrades. The 1LE added bigger sway bars, stiffer bushings, different springs & Koni dual-adjustable shocks all around. Bilstein was a spring/shock package but I'm not sure if it included sway bars.

They did receive the SLP stainless steel cat-back.
They did receive the 17" wheels, whether it be painted or plated. (Lighter than the WS6 wheels.)
(Is the WS6 hood with the up-level nostrils really functional? I don't know, I'm not a WS6 owner. The hood I'm asking about now, not the lower nostrils.)
Some of the late '02's even came with an upgrade on the airbox which improved breathing even more..

Everyone can argue the WS6 / Firehawk debate all day long. But the Firehawk is more 'exclusive'? There are tons of WS6 cars around. Granted not that many CETA's. And the CETA has nothing over the other WS6 cars other than the special yellow color & decals. But there are a lot fewer numbers of the Firehawk models.

The general thought is that the Firehawk is a more desirable performance oriented car. Note, 'general thought', ...

I knew about the 1Le and all but I thought they got the SLP headers and that is why thet bragged about 20 more ponies (or something like that). Not that GM under rating the F-Body under the Vette had anything to do with that...

Oh well, thanks for clearing that up. I probably forgot but I need to be reminded.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

The stock WS6 hood had ram air but not heat extractors. The Firehawk hood had heat extractors (along with different nostrils). The aftermarket WS9 hood is a combination of WS6 and Firehawk hoods with heat extractors added to the WS6 design.

The WS6 ram air is semi-functional. The air intake path is so convoluted that many people consider it more of a cold air induction system than a true ram air. But yes, the nostrils on the hood are open for air intake and, as such, are "functional".

Some of the late '02's even came with an upgrade on the airbox which improved breathing even more...
All 98-02 model WS6s had a different airbox than stock T/As to support the ram air functionality. The design of V8 airboxes was changed in 2000 to add a breather filter. The part number for a WS6 airbox is the same for all years between 2000 and 2002.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Banned

WhiteBird00- Your last section about the airbox isn't what he was referring to. He was talking about the optional "lid". Not the lower airbox-which was higher on all WS6 cars, and the Firehawk had the standard lower airbox. The Firehawk hood's intake lines up with the standard airbox, and it (the hood) has baffles in it just like the WS6 hood does.

All the 2002 Firehawks (and some Camaro SS owners who bought the 345 hp option) recieved a "Blackwing" air lid (like an aftermaket lid, but with better fit and finish). That's what he was referring to by 2002 owners with the airbox lid.

Quick Reply: FireHawk or Special Edition, Please Help