Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Small cosmetic problem

Old 05-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Small cosmetic problem

Hey everybody. I'm glad to find a decent-looking place where there are some other LS1 enthusiasts. I recently bought a 1998 Trans Am to replace my 1998 Firebird (every 17 year old's dream, I know) and that thing FLIES. Its flawless, almost.

My one gripe is that the driver's side headlight sits about an inch away from the hood meaning theres a one inch gap between the headlight and the hood. Both headlights work ok and make very little noise, but this is still bothering me. I've heard it's a common enough problem, but at the same time I've seen pictures of fourth gen 98+ Firebirds and Trans Ams where the headlights are nearly flush with the hood and only a tiny little space can be seen between the hood and headlight.

Does anybody know how I could fix this or even knowing the cause might help. Thanks alot! This seems like it will be a really helpful place.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pop the hood, leave the head light down. There are adjustment screws which allow you to move the light side to side and back and forth. I can't remember specifically which one moves the light which way, but it's pretty easy to figure out. Just be sure the when you close the gap between the headlight and the hood that the headlight will still pop up without obstuction from the hood. Adjust accordingly and you should have a perfect fit.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about the screws that adjust the shielding or do they actually set the headlight unit in place?
Old 05-26-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the whole shield can be completely readjusted or removed from the headlights with just a few of those screws that ls1obsession is talking about. I would take it off and see if it is the housing that is out of whack or just the shield.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay. I'm bringing this thread back from the dead.

I started this post earlier, before I went to the Hawkeye game and had like a case of beer. Anyways, I'm home now and thought I should finish it...

I recently installed my newly painted Suncoast Raptor Hood on my 99 Firebird Formula. While having the hood painted, I also, had the headlight covers repainted as well.

While reinstalling them, I noticed the driverside headlight assembly is much closer to the fender than the passenger. I have tried to adjust both sides, in an attempt to make the two sides match and can't seem to get any sort of movement out of either side.

How exactly to you adjust the entire headlight assembly? If you could explain the process in detail I would be most appreciative. Thanks...
Old 02-08-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

No one knows how to make cosmetic adjustments to the entire headlight assembly on a 98-02 Firebird? Seriously?

I know the headlight cover alone can be adjusted on the assembly up and down to align with the fender, hood, and nose. But the cover has virtually no adjustment left and right, due to the placement of its mounting tabs.

What I'm looking to accomplish is to have the same gap between the cover and the fender on both the passenger and drivers side. In order to make this happen there must be a way to make a lateral adjustment to the entire assembly.

Come on Firebird owners. I'm counting on you for this one.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know the is no adjustment. If you want it perfect you might even have to drill new holes. I've had my headlights out a few times but can't remember for sure.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jazz-LT1
As far as I know the is no adjustment. If you want it perfect you might even have to drill new holes. I've had my headlights out a few times but can't remember for sure.
Thanks Jazz. Any response, even if its not what you want to hear, is better than no response at all. I appreciate it man.

Looks like I'll have to take them apart and see what can be done.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay... I attempted to make some adjustments to my headlight assemblies. I'd have to say Jazz is correct.

There are two 10mm bolts and four 10mm nuts that hold the assembly bracket. After loosening each nut and bolt, I discovered the two bolts hold the bracket which has squared-out holes (which would allow for adjustment), but only three of the four studs the nuts thread on are in slotted holes. What the ****?

Why would GM bother to allow for adjustment on 5 of the 6 mounting points? That makes no ******* sense to me.

To top this all off, I believe the only way to slot out the remaining mounting point would be to completely remove the nose of the car. What a bunch of bullshit.

Anyways, I just wanted to add this to the thread for anyone who may be looking to make adjustments to their headlights. And if you should happen to have the nose off your car I would definitely take the time to slot this particular hole.

Thats all I have for now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Small cosmetic problem