Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

I'm a new member - looking at buying '02 Bird - have some quetions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, see I missed some of those visual mods. you sure have good eye. I didn't have him pop the hood for photos, should have.

and I do like the firebird hood (but not the 345 hp writing) but I also really like the ram air hoods, so if I ever got ram air and a hood, I could keep this one and have two to choose from.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Teching In

well not sure if this is gonna go through or not, told me he owed only 12500 and wanted me to take over payments - called the bank and he actually owes 14500 so that's much less cash for him if he still wants to deal.

Anyway, confused on a few RPO codes, maybe someone can explain it to me: It has the WS9 code which I read was for a Formula, but also has a Y82 code which is a merchandise package for Trans Am? So (wondering for value purposes) is this car a Trans Am or Formula (It doesn't have a ram-air hood so Formula)? And what is this merchandise package?

Other than that it looks pretty loaded. The dealer from which it was purchased (the second time) was not very helpful and said they didn't have any records for the car. (Which I find hard to believe - how can they not keep records of the cars they sell).

I was also told it has a larger throttle body and borla exhaust.

Other than that most of the mods appear visual (like mentioned) and I'm not too worried about those because I can always change them if I don't like them. But mechanically, there is obviously no warranty or anything, so should I have a mechanic check this out before I buy? What should they look for and check over?

Thanks again for the help everyone.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Well, hopefully I'm not annoying you all with my questions.

I talked him down to $16k. At that price is this a good deal? Yay or nay?

Thanks! Just trying to cover myself in case I end up having to sell this again in like a year or two to get a house, want to make sure I can still get some money out of it.

Last edited by Albigger; 07-18-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

def take a mechanic to check it out, and obviously test drive it as well
Old 07-18-2006, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

16 k will be a very good price if all mechanical parts are in good condition check the headlights motor and door panel for cracks and ashtray lid
Old 07-19-2006, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

second that opinion: 16k would be a very good price.
send it to the mechanic for a check-out! (AAA has a mechanic check-out service that includes an oil analysis, I did that when I purchased mine, service was pretty thorough).
like the hood bird.

-sectari
Old 07-23-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Regular

its a trans am not a formula. and 16k is a good price. good luck. let us know what you do!

Quick Reply: I'm a new member - looking at buying '02 Bird - have some quetions...