Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Weird Headlight Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird Headlight Issues

LEFT
Well ok just to start off about a month ago my left headlight started making the dreaded grinding noise. So within a day of it I had the entire headlight apart and flipped the gear around. Anyway maybe a week ago I had been noticing the the headlight wasnt all the way down and had a gap. So I removed the rubber thing (which I had put back after the fix) and turned the hex so it touched the body and closed the gap. Unfortunately, every time I used the headlights it would reset itself with the gap so I fixed it twice more and then BAM. The grinding noise started again. So that has been going on for at least a week now and then just recently an even crazier thing occurred.
RIGHT
My right headlight started not coming all the way up when i turn on the headlights. Turns out somehow it hits the hood and cant go up any further. So now some of my pain has been chipped of due to the contact with the hood. So whenever I want me headlights up I have to pop my hood, turn them on, and then listen to the loud grinding noise from the left one. My car must look incredibly ghetto at night Also, what I really don't understand is the right headlight issue I've had the car almost 9 months and the issue just started. So why does it catch on the hood all of a sudden?

Wow this is long sorry..................
Old 12-10-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I just went out to look a bit more in detail and now my left headlight grinds when going up, going down and when I lock the car AMAZING. And the issue with my right one hitting the hood and losing paint I think is due to the rubber stopper which is supposed to hold the hood up is damaged and shorter than it is supposed to be. Its the thing sticking up like 10 inches from the headlight. Anyone else had this hood scratching issue at all?
Old 12-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Teching In

i havnt had a hood scratching issue but my damn headlight has been makin this grinding noise when it goes down....grinds for abou 5 seconds and stops..mine also grinds again when i lock the doors..help anyone?!?!
Old 12-10-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like the gear in the motor is bad for both cars. And yes, a bad gear will make the headlights do all sorts of crazy things when you lock/unlock the doors. I replaced my gears with the brass gears from brent franker and haven't ran into anymore problems.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:06 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I moved your first post on this here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=153

Let's keep all the headlight issues in this sticky.

Scott

Quick Reply: Weird Headlight Issues