73.26%
Turd gen
26.74%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

3rd Gen or Turd Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007 | 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Also the 3rd gen's birds are still one of the most aerodynaimc cars ever made so can nix the "Boxy" comment (granted teh T/A's, GTA's DID have a boxy nose)
Old 03-10-2007 | 06:35 PM
On The Tree

i have a third gen just because their cheap.
Old 03-10-2007 | 11:26 PM
Teching In

I love the look of the 3rd gens. Stock or modified they look good. I also love the look of all the other generations and i'd love to own 1 of each. 3rd gens are definetly looked upon as the lowest and cheapest as all generations were/are. A ragged out 3rd gen car looks how a ragged out 1,2,4th gen looked a few years after is came off the line.

To the original question, the advantage of owning a 3rd gen is there are still a few mint conditions out there for much cheaper than finding a 1-2nd gen. Parts are interchangable to 4th gen and even engines that come in Vettes.
Prices for them are starting to go up.
That "boxy" look is how many older style muscle cars look.
Modifing the body is a good option like my car(needs paint but that will happen soon)

or even like this

That road race car just looks bad a** to me.
Old 03-11-2007 | 10:07 AM
On The Tree

i cant believe people are actually talking about this. these cars were horrible, one of the biggest mistakes of GM. people have them for two reasons... one because there cheap.
two because it was probably there first car, and your first car for a guy is like a girl losing her virginity.
they get attached
Old 03-11-2007 | 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Charcoal, that first one looks like a pre-91 with a 91 bumper. The only ramair hood that looks good on the 91 and 92 is the 93-97's. And that second one loooks like a hermaphrodite Tojan. wth is with the front tires LOL

Supra, you have a... well... Supra lol You don't have any room to talk None of the American pre-94 Supras were very good. You had to get one imported for that. Or get at least the drive-terrain imported.
Old 03-11-2007 | 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Please, take a shot at my supra whatever. A reliable 12 second bolt on car in the early 90's

Like I said the first time, 3rd gens are mullet mobiles

Please don’t get emotional on me with your first car virginity
Old 03-11-2007 | 03:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula350

Supra, you have a... well... Supra lol You don't have any room to talk None of the American pre-94 Supras were very good. You had to get one imported for that. Or get at least the drive-terrain imported.

wtf are you talking about dude?
Old 03-11-2007 | 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol And a 350 isn't a 12sec bold on car? It doesn't even need a turbo!

They were the 80s car, when Mullets reigned supreme, and were decently cheap. So yea, of course they appealed to those kind of people. You expected a Suit to drive one?

Sorry, I lost my virginity YEARS before I bought my 91.

EDIT: Daze, my apologies, I forgot they sold the 3.0 here in the states. If he has that, then it's not that bad. However I don't think they sold the 3.0 Turbo here, but only the 2.5 (which doesn't hold a match to the 3.0). Regardless no need to bash the 3rd gens, especially the 86-92 TPI based. Because unless you have the $$$ to dish out for a 3.0 build up, the TPI is cheaper to make into a powerhouse.

Last edited by Formula350; 03-11-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2007 | 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

I still don't understand the Supra information that you provided ......

drive terrain imported?

mullet imports?

dry cleaning suits?

I don't understand!
Old 03-11-2007 | 03:37 PM
11 Second Club

You know there are A LOT BETTER THINGS TO DO on a Sunday afternoon than defend the TERD gen though!
Old 03-11-2007 | 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Look dude, im not trying to hurt your feelings on a freaking turd gen. believe me man im a hard core Chevy fan. I hate saying these things about GM, I really do... on the lsx forum there’s talk about the cobra vs the ls2 GTO.
I hate to say it bro but the cobra has it beat, as much as I hate saying that (I hate fords) im not in denial.

As for the supra comment 3.0 is the 7m-gte, 2.5 is the 1jz-gte 3.0 newer is the 2jz-gte
The head on the 1jz is better then the 7m so it has more capacities of making horse power with bolt on’s, also there’s much more of an aftermarket for them. But It lacks the displacement, I’ve never heard someone say they don’t compare.

I can’t believe you took a shot at a supra,
Old 03-11-2007 | 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

Originally Posted by CharcoalBird
I love the look of the 3rd gens. Stock or modified they look good. I also love the look of all the other generations and i'd love to own 1 of each. 3rd gens are definetly looked upon as the lowest and cheapest as all generations were/are. A ragged out 3rd gen car looks how a ragged out 1,2,4th gen looked a few years after is came off the line.

To the original question, the advantage of owning a 3rd gen is there are still a few mint conditions out there for much cheaper than finding a 1-2nd gen. Parts are interchangable to 4th gen and even engines that come in Vettes.
Prices for them are starting to go up.
That "boxy" look is how many older style muscle cars look.
Modifing the body is a good option like my car(needs paint but that will happen soon)

or even like this

That road race car just looks bad a** to me.
" Parts are interchangeable to 4th gens" WHAT ?????
Old 03-11-2007 | 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know there is DJ, and debating is more productive than playing stupid. Unless you actually are, well then my condolences!

I know the Cobras a quick, I won't deny that either, I fail to see how that compares with bashing a 3rd gen. 82-85 they're not much to say about them, but again once you get into the TPI era, thats another story.

And from what I always understood is the 3.0 had the bullet proof lower end, which let you put twin turbos on it which would yield crazy amounts of HP. I suppose if you're on more of a budget for power the 2.5 would work better. I guess it would just be my preference to know it'll take the power and last longer.

At least my reasons are sound. You don't like them because you think they're cheap (how so?) and because others lost their virginity in a sports coupe and you in your parents family car I just preferred to use my bed lol
Old 03-11-2007 | 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
" Parts are interchangeable to 4th gens" WHAT ?????
Seats, drive shaft, cam, heads, rotating assembly, 6spd, rear ends I think, rear lower control arms, and I believe the shocks. To name a few.
Old 03-11-2007 | 06:46 PM
On The Tree

You missed my point, I was saying for a guy his first car is equal to a girl losing her virginity… guys get attached to there first car or the car of that era that there friend had.

This is pointless to explain, look man there are exceptions to 3rd gens. I like the GTA But for the most part there a bad design.

Everyone here has a good memory in a 3rd gen. personally I think the 5.0 was a better car. (Again I hate fords)

Making up accusations about a Japanese car doesn’t make a 3 gen look better.

Toyota is respected off road and on the track, no auguring that

You need to let go of the idea of the 3rd gen being a good car in anyway.
Old 03-11-2007 | 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

I'm not at all stupid. I said stupid things, but maybe that's my way of productive debating on the internet......

It's a car forum bro....you say stupid things.....

I need no codolences bro.....

Just chill.....all I needed to know what the Supra info and I guess I didn't ask like you wanted me too?

I'm not on this site to defend myself or talk any kind of ****. :lame:

I'm here to make friends and learn.

Glad to meet you btw...my name is Dave

I have a bad *** 3rd gen too...
Old 03-11-2007 | 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well the Firebird was my 4th vehicle, and no one I knew owned one

And again you give no examples of what you mean. What was of bad engineering? You can't bash a 3rd w/o a 4th. Up to 97 they're damn similar from a mechanical standpoint. 91 and 2 even look quite alike. Seeing as they're both based off the Banshee concept.

They're not accusations. You don't agree the 3.0 is a stronger motor?

Yea, the old YJ was a tank, dad's friend owned one. Other friend owned a Jeep, they'd both go offroading and the Jeep would always break something. Now I don't know what car they have on the track that uses consumer parts, but I'll take your word for it. I almost got a Supra instead of my Firebird, but I couldn't find a Turbo 3.0 cheap enough to import, and the 2.5 didn't have enough power factory.

Maybe you need to let go that the 3rd Gen is a bad car?

DJ: You twisted everything I said above, hence what I was talking about. You know you can import asian car parts right? Well the drive terrain consists of the Engine, Tranny and rear end. I meant everythign but the latter. Mullet Imports, well I don't know where the hell you got that from lol 3rd Gen was Predominantly a 80s car, if thats where you somehow got confused. A "Suit" is a business man.

I have a feeling you don't even know what condolences are, and by saying the 3rd Gen is junk, IS talking ****. So I'm willing to debate you over claiming you're not stupid

Incase neither of you knew, I'm having fun. Not mad, just curious as to what is 'bad' about the 3rd gen, and am getting no answers.
Old 03-11-2007 | 11:43 PM
11 Second Club

Hey man...

whatever....

I didn't twist anything you said

DRIVE-TERRAIN!!!!?????

I have a feeling you don't know how to spell that. Unless you make typos twice....where in that case you'd be stupid. (Yes I just called you stupid because this is a web forum on the internet.)

What the hell is a drive terrain?

Terrain is a surface dude! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrain

It's always fun to make fun of people just like you are doing here.

Have fun man it's the internet ....where defending 3rd gens and debating stuff like this gets you going...whatever floats your boat man..

Since you already know that this is pointless as you stated above...don't reply

Old 03-12-2007 | 06:08 AM
'Bird Director
20 Year Member

From: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant

Ok, this isn't going anywhere.....everyone needs to chill out.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen or Turd Gen?