Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Newbe needs help Removing LS1 frme 99 Firebird.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbe needs help Removing LS1 frme 99 Firebird.

Hello, First time on the forum. Can someone please help me. I have never attempted this before.
I am in the process of taking out the LS1 and 4L60 E transmission from a 99 Grand AM Firebird. I plan on using it in the vette rod I am building.
I have most of the external mortor parts off the motor.
1) I still need to remove the steering, (how do I do this) The car was hit hard on the drivers side and it's difficult to get to the steering. Can I go thru the floor board on the drivers side. If so, what is the best way?
2) I ahve the wheels lower a arms off and now I am not sure what will happen if I take the upper a arms off. It appears they are attached to the motor mounts. I don't want the motor to fall on me, so I am being very careful.
Thanks George
Old 03-27-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by George Remmetter
a 99 Grand AM Firebird.
what?

Last edited by Smoke Panther; 03-27-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing will happen if you remove the upper arms...they are attached to the strut in a way...you can remove the entire assembly by removing the bolts off the strut tower.

steering can be disconnected easiest in the engine compartment...either at the rack itself or on the steering shaft closer to the firewall.

dropping the motor is a sinch...disconnect the front brake lines...secure the whole k-frame and remove 4 bolts and lift the car.

hope this helps...let us know if you have any other questions.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the support
I ahve it ddown to 4 bolts on each side of the cradle. I dont think the motor will come out when I pull these bolts, because it (the motor) does not move while working on these 8 bolts. There ahs to be something else holding the motor in place. I anc not see it now with the cradle in place. Tomorrow, I hope to remove the cradle and see how the motor is attached. The transmission and drive shaft are ready to come out. Any more suggestion are welcome.
Thanks Geroge
Old 03-27-2007, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

once you drop the cradle you'll see how the motor mounts are mounted to the block and its cake getting them off.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks TNT,
Got it out today. If I ever have the opportunity to take another out from the bottom, it will be a lot easier. I learned a lot. and still have a lot to despose of. I will try and find a forum to seel some of the stuff i have left over. I am building a vette rod and rally dont need any thing off the firebird.
George

Quick Reply: Newbe needs help Removing LS1 frme 99 Firebird.