Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Clear Taillights LT1 Trans AM

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search for the whistler mod. This is a write up how to seperate the headlight parts on 98-02 camaros to paint them. Use the same process/write up for your lenses and it should work fine cause its the same glue. i think its something like put your tailights in the oven at 250 degrees for 1 hour. At that time you take them out and use a knife to pry the two peices off. the difference with the tailights is that once you get them apart you have to scrape and flick and pick off the red tint, its chemically applied and its not a lense. Its not hard, just time consuming. Ive never done it, this is all regurgitated from a write up i saw on another site. Pm me and ill tell you the site although i havnt been there forever i dont know where to tell you to go from there. You wont find much cause its not a popular mod so try to not get frustrated. Also whn you run into people with closed minds yelling their opinion at you when you didnt ask for it, just keep checking back and ignore them. I wouldnt want those tailights they send out on the export cars either they look like barf. There is an export honeycomb version but its almost just as bad. I think id get clear lt1 lenses and use LED clusters. I think thats your best bet. On a side note, could you show me some pics of the mirrors on your car? Do you have the breakaway ones? Ive been wanting to know what those look like and if i could maybe get my hands on a set.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

no sorry i have the original mirrors.
my car in a 1998 trans am with us honeycomb taillights. It's not an export version.
Now I have the LT1 export tiallights, but the yellow on the sidemarkes is ugly. there should be a clear lens and a yellow bulb. than it would look nice.
now i have.
can you tell me exactly how this works to clear the honeycombs.
THX
Old 09-14-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you can clear the honeycomb taillights from the LS1's. If I remember right you can only do this to the LT1 grid style light since they actually have a red film. I'll look for the writeup.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go! http://web.camaross.com/bb/Forum26/HTML/014290.html

Scroll down to see his writeup.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:05 AM
On The Tree

Hi,
now i got a set of lt1 taillights.
And in my company I can use a climate chamber to heat the taillight.

Can you tell me how much i can heat it up?
150°C or 170°C. The Chamber works up to 400, but i think tahts to much.
Please tell me.
Thanks a lot

Quick Reply: Clear Taillights LT1 Trans AM