Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Front License Plate Install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate Install?

How do you remove the firebird emblem and install a front plate on the front of a 2001 formula? My daughter is now driving the bird and she got pulled over and warned by a Texas State Trooper for not having a front plate. Personally I think he was just trying to show authority or get a phone number. She was obeying the law and he let her go with a warning.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

There are 2 Torx screws on the bottom of the cover to remove. The top of the cover has tabs. Remove the bottom screws and it should just slip down and out. The Trox screw size is the same as the ones that hold on the side marker lights. I got a screwdriver with that size torx screw head, comes in handy in several places on the car.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. Once I remove the bird will the licence plate just bolt up behind the bird or will I need a bracket?
Old 09-08-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by wnmech
Thanks for the quick reply. Once I remove the bird will the licence plate just bolt up behind the bird or will I need a bracket?
No bracket, there should be holes already there for the plate screws. I think you need to use self tapping kind because you can't get your hand behind to hold a nut. And the beauty of it is that the plate won't be covering the holes that hold the plate cover on. So you can occationally put the cover back on while leaving the plate right where it is. I have to run a front plate here in Oregon but today there were several huge car shows going on an a lot of nice cars out cruizing, so I put the cover back on over the plate. And I've got my little tool so if I get stopped the cop is likely to let me off with no ticket if I just take the cover back off and show the plate.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Install?