Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

cabin air stuck in heat mode...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cabin air stuck in heat mode...

Hi, My uncle has a 2002 Firebird in Sunset Orange...last night he had a problem and I checked it out...when selected to MAX, A/C, top/bottom a/c, and windshield defrost...the a/c compressor runs and the tube going to the evaporator is chilled cold and dripping condenstation.

BUT...there's only heat coming out of the vents in the car. Even turning the temp control **** from full cold to full hot didn't do a thing.

I know it's stuck in the heat mode because as the engine warmed up, the air coming in the car got hotter.

It appears like there's a valve in the air disturbition system that's stuck closed or stuck in heat mode passing all the air thru the heater core and bypassing the evaporator...

the vaccum line from the temp control to the valve control has a leak or break?

does it default to heat mode when there's a break in the line?

I have read a long time ago on ls1.com before the site got overhauled that someone mentioned the flapper for the cabin air intake was stuck closed by mud and all it took was a small push to get it to open and free it.

Does anyone know where the intake for the cabin air is located? I'm thinking it's under the car behind the pass. front wheel but where exactly?

Thanks in advance...
Old 09-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Launching!

I just noticed today, my car seems to pump out heated air, when I have the temperature control set on cold (but the AC off). It was certainly warmer than the outside air.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rmpitzer
I just noticed today, my car seems to pump out heated air, when I have the temperature control set on cold (but the AC off). It was certainly warmer than the outside air.
With the engine cold, like first start of the day...did the air get warmer as the engine warmed up?

At the same time, does the a/c line from the canister chills and condenses?
Old 09-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Launching!

I'll have to check. I never noticed this until today. It wasn't super hot air....but it was noticably warmer than the outside air. I had the AC off, so I certainly hope the AC line didn't get cold...but I'll check it out on the drive home.

-Rich
Old 09-10-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rmpitzer
I'll have to check. I never noticed this until today. It wasn't super hot air....but it was noticably warmer than the outside air. I had the AC off, so I certainly hope the AC line didn't get cold...but I'll check it out on the drive home.

-Rich
If the a/c wasn't on, the compessor face shouldn't be turning...ie the belt around it can spin but not the center part.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Launching!

Well, I dunno what my problem was yesterday. Either the car fixed itself, or I was imagining a problem. Either way, it's blowing cooler outside air now.

Quick Reply: cabin air stuck in heat mode...