Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Need quick help from the 3rd Gen guys

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need quick help from the 3rd Gen guys

Looking at a 91 with 96K miles, auto, Formula, cloth interior and a WS6 package? I am getting him to open it up tommorow so I can check RPO codes but I wanted a little insight. Is it legit? It is in very good condition and I need a little advice. Sorry such short notice, but I just came across it tonight!
Old 07-25-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What are you asking about being legit and what advice do you need? Its not like its a GTA that someone would fake...if they are selling it as a Formula and it has the power bulge hood and Formula wing then chances are 99.9% its a Formula. If it has WS6 suspension one of the codes will be "WS6"...and I am sure it does, I have never seen a late 80s/early 90s Forumula that didn't. As for which engine is in it....if it has a TBI its a 305, TPI is either a 305 or 350. The easiest way to tell is look on the emissions sticker under the hood and see if its a 5.0 or 5.7. Other than that check the wing to make sure its not busted horizontaly across the end and make sure both headlights go up and down. Also being a 700R4 trans behind a TPI motor with 96K miles on it...be ready to put a trans in it soon.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
What are you asking about being legit and what advice do you need? Its not like its a GTA that someone would fake...if they are selling it as a Formula and it has the power bulge hood and Formula wing then chances are 99.9% its a Formula. If it has WS6 suspension one of the codes will be "WS6"...and I am sure it does, I have never seen a late 80s/early 90s Forumula that didn't. As for which engine is in it....if it has a TBI its a 305, TPI is either a 305 or 350. The easiest way to tell is look on the emissions sticker under the hood and see if its a 5.0 or 5.7. Other than that check the wing to make sure its not busted horizontaly across the end and make sure both headlights go up and down. Also being a 700R4 trans behind a TPI motor with 96K miles on it...be ready to put a trans in it soon.
OK, that was really vague last night and I apologize. I was trying to get out a lot of info and I was half cocked while doing it. I don't doubt the Formula, I was more curious to know about the WS6 badging. I didn't know that it was a standard package in those years. However that's why I did set up a meeting with him later today to check the RPO codes. That may save me a little time if it was a no brainer addition. It does have the 5.0 with the TBI which I knew from the get go. As for the mileage of course this is from an old woman that drove it for thirteen years gently, blah blah blah. The guy bought it drove it a little and it has sat for the past year or so. It smokes blue he said after warming up and his mechanic said it was the 'valve seals or seats or something', needless to say the guy isn't very knowledgeable mechanically. I will see, maybe my wife will let me get a new toy.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mySStery_machine
OK, that was really vague last night and I apologize. I was trying to get out a lot of info and I was half cocked while doing it. I don't doubt the Formula, I was more curious to know about the WS6 badging. I didn't know that it was a standard package in those years. However that's why I did set up a meeting with him later today to check the RPO codes. That may save me a little time if it was a no brainer addition. It does have the 5.0 with the TBI which I knew from the get go. As for the mileage of course this is from an old woman that drove it for thirteen years gently, blah blah blah. The guy bought it drove it a little and it has sat for the past year or so. It smokes blue he said after warming up and his mechanic said it was the 'valve seals or seats or something', needless to say the guy isn't very knowledgeable mechanically. I will see, maybe my wife will let me get a new toy.
How much does he want for it?

The blue smoke issue is very common on those cars...it often will stop after it warmes up at first, but will get worse. On the plus side is its not a major deal to change the valve seals in them. The bottom end should last 250,000 miles. Do the heads and you will have a very reliable motor....just slow as hell! (I can say that because I have owned quite a few L09 3rd gens!)
Old 07-25-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

He wants $1500, has a corner off the driver's side dash that is broken off and needs some work with the track of the driver's side window. Also needs new hood struts and little odds and ends, not too bad all in all.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mySStery_machine
He wants $1500, has a corner off the driver's side dash that is broken off and needs some work with the track of the driver's side window. Also needs new hood struts and little odds and ends, not too bad all in all.

Thats a deal...I would ****** it up for that. 91 and 92 Formulas are pretty hard to find. I sold one that didnt run or have any interior in it for $1500 last year. Granted the body was in excelltent shape.

Quick Reply: Need quick help from the 3rd Gen guys