Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

G8 GT vs CTS-V vs 335i...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed you are from MA check this out only 5,500 miles!!
2008 Pontiac G8 $21,789.00
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ctd/1048696578.html

Originally Posted by ZO6TrailblazerSS
I am sitting down Saturday and hopefully hammering out something for delivery late month before the rebates end. Some financial items came up and hacked the car fund a little bit. I feel like the G8's with the rebates are too good of a deal to pass up. I'll keep everyone posted. What's the deal with the Vararam as well? I have the Vararam B2 on my ZO6 and it is awesome. I had the Stinger on before and the Vararam is a big difference.

Last edited by dirt2067; 03-03-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by valdeztke
CTS-V was a great car, but most are out of warranty, the rear is weak.
It's nice you finally posted something CORRECT so I can actually agree with you for once.

I'm glad you have ventured over here where we can take the gloves off and not be moderated like little boys.
Now, maybe you actually have some knowledge to back up you attitude.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:42 PM
12 Second Club

Slap fight?

lol
Old 03-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Teching In

Hey everyone. Thanks for the input on this. I could not pull the trigger on this deal. I had Herb Chambers in Danvers at $26,500 with no doc fee (they were gonna eat it) on a $34,110 sticker. Blk/Blk, sprt, prem, roof. I sat there for 3 hours thinking and could not for whatever reason pull the trigger. I really wanted the car and then backed off. I know it was a smoking deal, I just sat in the car looking at it for a long time and could not say yes. I kept debating in my mind. I've never done this with a car before. I think the main thing going through my head was, I have never not had a truck. It was really bothering me to get rid of the Ram and not have a pickup. I've decided to hold off for now and see what else pops up.

Thank you though again for talking to me about all the pro's and cons.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey everyone. Thanks for the input on this. I could not pull the trigger on this deal. I had Herb Chambers in Danvers at $26,500 with no doc fee (they were gonna eat it) on a $34,110 sticker. Blk/Blk, sprt, prem, roof. I sat there for 3 hours thinking and could not for whatever reason pull the trigger. I really wanted the car and then backed off. I know it was a smoking deal, I just sat in the car looking at it for a long time and could not say yes. I kept debating in my mind. I've never done this with a car before. I think the main thing going through my head was, I have never not had a truck. It was really bothering me to get rid of the Ram and not have a pickup. I've decided to hold off for now and see what else pops up.

Thank you though again for talking to me about all the pro's and cons.
buy a used 04 V for 19K with low miles and use the 6K you save to buy a truck too.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brentman2007
buy a used 04 V for 19K with low miles and use the 6K you save to buy a truck too.
I don't know how ANYONE could recommend a 1st gen V when EVERYONE knows the rear is made of glass.
I take no pleasure in stating this. The weak rear breaks my heart everytime I think about it. A 1st Gen V would be my current daily driver if it wasn't for the weak rear.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TT C6
I don't know how ANYONE could recommend a 1st gen V when EVERYONE knows the rear is made of glass.
I take no pleasure in stating this. The weak rear breaks my heart everytime I think about it. A 1st Gen V would be my current daily driver if it wasn't for the weak rear.
Duh.. have you owned one? No. You never hear guys getting on the forums and saying "Wow my rear has been Great" you only hear the bad news! If you dont drive the car like you are a teenage boy and don't try smokey burnouts or drop the clutch you will be fine! There are plenty of supercharged V's and plenty with heads cam and headers that have tons of track days under their Belt.

I Own one! and I reccomend owning one and i bet you can find a **** ton more people that would agree with me and the v forum here or here http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/

Just go ask them and stop badmouthing a car you have never owned
Old 03-05-2009, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

There are '08 G8GTs out there with low miles that are selling for 19-20K.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GeorgeInNePa
There are '08 G8GTs out there with low miles that are selling for 19-20K.
Really? wow that's a hell of a deal if you dont mind an automatic car

Btw sweet times you have there with your G8
Old 03-06-2009, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Brentman, I'm with you. CTS-V is a damn great car, by far stock for stock better then a auto G8 GT because the G8 is only auto, unless you get the GXP which is just not worth it right now. As far as the Gen 1 V rear being made of glass. I had a V for 2 yrs 24K miles and I drove it hard, I never dropped the cluch from 5K like a dumbazz but I still drove it hard constantly and I never had a problem from my rear. If your lookin for a DD and not takin it to the track to 1/4 mile it then a gen-1 V is a much better. At the same time if you want to run the 1/4 mile and mod all to hell, the G8 GT is a much better deal cuz with 10K you could have this car in the high 11's, which is gen-2 V times and I think I have seen 1 gen-1 V get in those times. The automatic plus no nav options (even aftermarket) on the G8 GT is just killin me, only reason why I have not pulled the trigger on it.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd take the used CTS-V's out of the equation. They can be a money pit and don't offer the warranty that a used BMW or Pontiac will. Both other cars are close in performance. Probably the most unique of all 3 cars though so that's worth something.

Check out the G8 forums. With simple tuning and an intake, a G8 GT can run high 12's all day long and drive like stock with no decrease in reliability. Also bigger and more roomy than the other 2 cars. Pedders makes some suspension upgrades for about $2500 that can make the G8's handle like a dream and corner near 0.95g. I see barely used G8 GT's with less than 10k miles for low $20k. That's a lot of bang for the buck.

My bro has a BMW 335 and it's a phenomenal car. Has the summer handling package and it has outstanding grip. Very nice interior too. Probably the best resale of all 3, but very different car than the 2 GM cars.

So to me, spending about $25k for all three cars lightly used gets you 3 different results. I'd say the CTS-V is the most exotic and likely to be the highest cost of ownership. The G8 will be reliable as a claw hammer, but least unique. The BMW will probably cost most upfront, but after the warranty runs out, repairs will be expensive. But it will hold it's value the best of all three. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

Really? wow that's a hell of a deal if you dont mind an automatic car

Btw sweet times you have there with your G8
I love my Automatic.

Those times are not as fast as it should be. I'm shooting for 12.3s this spring
Old 03-07-2009, 01:41 AM
Teching In

Lots of options out there. Personally I was down to the G8 GT and the 335i, then started eyeing up the 335xi for the winters up here. AWD led me and the wife to test drive a Subaru STI after all this, and that's what we bought. Both loved it for the size, handling, and power. Maintenance is also supposed to be one of the lowest. Each to their own for sure, but keep your eyes open and test drive lots of different cars. I never thought I'd end up with anything but a G8 in stryker blue....

BTW... Track times up here were:
G8 GT - 14.5 sec
335i - 13.8 sec
STI - 13.5 sec

That was three different drivers and two 6 speeds vs the auto G8.

Last edited by Tweaked Zed; 03-07-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

Ok just buy this car.....500 hp ls7 and a 9 inch madman rearend all for 22k and the looks and class that come with a caddy

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadill...p?product=4980

dollar for dollar the V wins
Old 03-20-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy **** BrentMan! That's a kick *** V. I'd trade my TA for that!
Old 03-24-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by '02 WS6
Holy **** BrentMan! That's a kick *** V. I'd trade my TA for that!
Thanks bro Just lowered it too
Old 04-09-2009, 05:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Because my TBSS has 47K miles on it (1.5 years) and I have over $2,000 in window regulators, throttle position sensors, fuel pump, all little **** that irritates me every time I cut a check. My ZO6, all little **** again, nothing big thank God, but annoying little things that add up to basically a GMPP warranty. I have had 7 GM cars in 4 years, 3 of which I have NOT bought a GMPP warranty and have been out much more than a warranty charge up front. Keep in mind also I am doing all the work myself and getting all my parts online! otherwise labor charges would be through the roof!
The throttle pos sensor and fuel pump would have been under warr. Remember, 07 and up come with 100k powertrain warr. Wheel bearings are even covered on that warr. Anyway, I don't blame you for not wanting to get rid of a truck. For what it's worth, I was at Milan April 4th opening day and the G8's were not running that good compared to Trailblazer SS's. There wasn't a G8 there that did not have the engine apart that could beat my TBSS.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

It's nice you finally posted something CORRECT so I can actually agree with you for once.

I'm glad you have ventured over here where we can take the gloves off and not be moderated like little boys.
Now, maybe you actually have some knowledge to back up you attitude.
I've grown up a bit since then rather than I'd much prefer

Cheers!
Old 04-09-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

I agree as well.

They (GM) tried to pick fix it by replacing the 04s with 06+ rears - but again still VERY weak.

Caddy under-engineered this CTS-V, but def not the lastest one
Old 04-09-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

G8 GT all the way in my opinion all nice cars though

Quick Reply: G8 GT vs CTS-V vs 335i...