Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

G8 ST - Holden Ute Import Who's Interested?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to embark on looking in to the importation of a SS Ute from OZ to the US myself.
As it's a non conforming vehicle (not made in the US and not made for the US market) it will need to be imported by a certified importer and have changes potentially made to meet current federal emission standards by that importer.
No individual can import a a car unless you can prove it's not for sale or registration (race car)
Not sure on DOT and crash standards and what they look for on that front.
Not sure of the 2011 Australian ute are running with EURO 3 or 4 emissions regs currently, and if their superior to the US regs or same/behind?

I'd predict that using a G8 interior and fire wall for the swap out is the easy stuff.
Presuming (not always a good thing to do) that internal doors can be changed from a G8 or just drivers window controls.
Cluster changes/some lighting/reflectors.
My guess is the tricky stuff is in emission/crash reg between each country and what is changable.

Unless a vehicle is eligible for exclusion or exemption, all vehicles that do not meet USA emission requirements must be imported using an independent commercial importer (ICI). Until all ICI work is completed, the EPA will not allow release a vehicle to it's owner. The ICI is responsible for meeting all EPA requirements and performing all required EPA modifications. ICI's costs can be very high and it should be understood that ICI's cannot import and/or modify some vehicles cannot be successfully imported or modified.

Stuart

Last edited by MUTED; 01-24-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Some info to pick through.
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/bas...orting_car.xml

http://www.importexporthelp.com/importing-cars.htm
Old 01-24-2011, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Found this on current Australian standards.

So reading below, all currently manufactured/imported vehicles in Australia need only to comply to Euro 4 till 2013, then all vehicles will then need to be Euro 5 from then on
A new model/s brought out will need to meet Euro 5 by 2012.

Passenger Cars and Light Duty Vehicles

Standards for new diesel engine light-duty vehicle emissions are applicable for passenger cars, buses and goods vehicles with a GVW below 3.5 tonnes. The current standards, (Australian Design Standards)ADR 79/01, came into force in January 2006 for new models (January 2007 for existing models), based on Euro 4 emission regulations. In 2010 the Australian government announced proposals to implement Euro 5 standards in January 2012 (January 2013 for all models) and Euro 6 in January 2016 for new models (January 2017 for existing models). The Australian government has since agreed to discuss adjustments to the proposed implementation timeline following heavy criticism from the automotive industry.

Light-Duty Diesel Engine Emission Standards (g/km): ADR 79

Reference Legislation Date*
Euro II 01/01/2002
Euro IV 01/01/2006
Euro V 01/01/2012**
Old 01-25-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow sounds like its turning into a huge pita.

So if you live in another country and already own the vehicle I guess you couldn't bring the vehicle to the USA and drive it?

SUCKS TO KNOW.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Wow sounds like its turning into a huge pita.

So if you live in another country and already own the vehicle I guess you couldn't bring the vehicle to the USA and drive it?

SUCKS TO KNOW.
You used to be able to but im not sure about now. Years ago my neighbor who resided in England and used the house here in the US as a vacation home used to bring his mini cooper with him. I asked him how and he said something about its only allowed here for a few months before it has to go back.

This was way before people started importing (with us vin and titles) skylines and other crazy cars from japan.

My suggestion is, get with someone that imports cars from japan and if familiar with what needs to be done and see if they can import a holden or a chevy lumina ss since its already left hand drive.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:30 AM

Default Importing SS-V Holden Ute into the US

I personally imported an SS-V Holden Ute into Hawaii last year. I could go on here for a hour about the process but here's the skinny;
DON'T DO IT!
I imported the vehicle under a clause in the Customs documetation that allows for the vehicle to be Temporarily Imported for one (1) year after which time it has to be shipped out of the country OR destroyed. The DMV here in Hawaii refused to register the vehicle as it was considered a "Grey Market Vehicle" not conforming and not built for the US market. The Holden Ute does not have a DOT sticker or EPA sticker.
I could have sold the vehicle a hundred times, it was a real head turner and it was a sad day when I had to load it back into a container and send it back to the dealer in NZ. It was like no other vehicle that I have ever owned and I would give my left one to have that car back. The right hand drive was no problem driving here in the US.
I own a couple of F-150's, F-350's, Chevy Duallys, etc. for my business but they just dont match up to a Ute/El Camino/Ranchero style of vehicle.
The way to do it legally would be to buy a US G-8 car and customize it to make a Ute out of it. The same could be done for a new Camaro or Mustang if you're into doing all of that work to get a cool looking vehicle that no one else has.
Aloha
Old 07-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Teching In

I'm currently looking into this idea (for over 3-4 months) with my father in laws help.
So far I'm not really deep into getting helpful answers, but have gained a fair bit of info..

I'm in contact with Holden currently and am trying to climb the tree of people that can assist me in what's going to be needed to be presented to the "RI" Registered Importer in the US that will hopefully be doing the importation.

Being that the ute would not have the NHTSA makings via a sticker with the VIN listed it's not an automatic import for the individual and therefore not compliant.
This then makes it a non conforming vehicle and therefore it now must be imported through a registered RI, not by an individual.

Once you've made contact with the an RI, the RI would petition towards the NHTSA (National Highway & Transportation Safety Administration) a letter to determine that the vehicle is eligible to be imported.

As far as I can see the petition will have a detailed list of the parts needed to convert vehicle to FMVHTS
(Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards)
Things like emissions/crash/lighting/airbags/ABS/dash/electronics and anything else that would need to be brought inline.
Being that it's a RHD vehicle the RI will need to prove that this isn't an issue with the crash tests and data.
This angle would have to come from the G8 as it's a very close fit, but how close I don't know yet.
I can't answer how the two would differ technically, but lets hope very little.

From what I can gather the NHTSA hold the key to releasing the RI to continue or to disallow the conversion.

We had been in contact with a RI but he's gone cold and can't get any further with him and now have just sent out 3 more emails telling what we want to do.

I'll let you know when info comes to hand.

PS...As usKiwi states (poor bugger)
As an Australian residing in the US I can bring a Ute over without compliance (can stay as RHD) but only for 12 months, it then would have to be sent back to country of origin or crushed her in the US.
The also take a large deposit whilst it's in the country, it can't be sold either.
I guess that each state may have rules pertaining to what's a "grey market" car and being a "non resident"
Dam I felt the pain reading that.

Stuart

Last edited by MUTED; 07-04-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:24 AM
Teching In

I believe the bumper bar extensions are shorter, so it sits back a bit further. They have a lower speed requirement on front crash tests.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Sounds like to me the only way to get this done is to import the UTE into the US for racing/non street use. Then use the UTE has a donor vehicle for a G8 with an existing registration.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Default Ute in USA

I have been watching your thread for a year a so. I travel to Australia all the time. A friend of mine and I wanted to see what it would take bring a Ute to the US. Make a long story short, we got one here in the state's, we are in the process of making it a lefty. It is a VY Storm ll. The V6 is out and a LS1 is going in in it's place. Here's some Pic'sG8 ST - Holden Ute Import Who's Interested?-picture_1012.jpg

G8 ST - Holden Ute Import Who's Interested?-picture_1015.jpg

G8 ST - Holden Ute Import Who's Interested?-picture_1013.jpg
Old 07-06-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Best car ever. I would of gotten a UTE had they sold them here.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:28 AM
11 Second Club

That'll have a great power to weight ratio, I bet. Be a blast to drive. Maybe a little extra weight in the backend... Looks like a fun project.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

I know that this thread is a little old but was curious about a rumor I heard... I was talking to a friend recently who tells me the guys who import skylines from japan have the car and motor separated in japan and then have them shipped separately over here... Then you would put the motor back in the car and could register the car as a "kit car" IF there is any truth in this could it also be done with a Holden??? Obviously a skyline doesn't meet US spec so registering it as a "kit car" makes sense to me but that doesn't mean it's true so...
Old 12-28-2011, 09:04 AM

Default Any updates?

MUTED, any updates? I've been checking this thread for a while and finally joined. My wife and I are working in OZ for a few years and have considered bringing back a UTE with our household goods to the US.

Originally Posted by SS UTE
I have been watching your thread for a year a so. I travel to Australia all the time. A friend of mine and I wanted to see what it would take bring a Ute to the US. Make a long story short, we got one here in the state's, we are in the process of making it a lefty. It is a VY Storm ll. The V6 is out and a LS1 is going in in it's place. Here's some
Please make your short story longer! What did you need to satisfy the EPA, NHTSA, etc? What is your cost so far?

chevyman- I was just reading about that. A guy in the US actually has a warehouse in Japan where they modify the GT-R bodies to meet US standards then assigns a new serial number under his "Kaizo" brand. In the US he imports them as a Kaizo kit body which gets by a lot of the import restrictions. Its then up to the buyer to source the engine and drive train and get it registered for the road. Apparently leaving them right hand drive is OK per the kit car rules. See links-
How to Buy a Nissan Skyline GT-R in America -- Right Now
EPA Kit Car Policy
Old 01-02-2012, 12:50 PM

Man, any help or advice you can give on how you got the car through customs would be appreciated.
I'm trying to prepare to ship my Lumina SS back to the states from Dubai this month and am lost with this process.
J
Old 01-22-2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by jdwz28
Man, any help or advice you can give on how you got the car through customs would be appreciated.
I'm trying to prepare to ship my Lumina SS back to the states from Dubai this month and am lost with this process.
J
I guess I'm either not crafty enough or not lucky enough. Trying to bring my 2003 Lumina SS (Pontiac GTO) back to the US with my personal goods I get this finally from GM....

ear Mr. Jeff,

Please see below update from GM regarding your inquiry.

Hi Salim,

I got the following feedback from Holden regarding the export of the Lumina.

The VIM shows this vehicle to a ME build:

Having recently completed a study on personal imports into the USA for another GM Holden query the US NHTSA are very specific as the content of the letter required and its content.

Given the ME vehicle is primarily and ADR/ECE Based vehicle The following would not meet the requirements for NHTSA:-

Lighting is to ECE not FMVSS
Engine/Powertrain Emissions - Being a EURO 4 it would not meet the US EPA requirements.
Bumpers - different Bumpers would be required to meet FMVSS.
Safety (Crash Test) - current vehicle meets ECE R93 & R95 but would not meet FMVSS 208 in current configuration, we fit knee Airbags to US models for FMVSS compliance.

Therefore it is not possible to have a letter created for NHTSA for this vehicle.

Kind regards,

Salim
Attached Thumbnails G8 ST - Holden Ute Import Who's Interested?-download.gif  
Old 01-27-2012, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Im not sure why alot of people keep saying that they dont know if you can drive a right hand drive vehicle?? Has no one ever seen the little white mail delivery buggies the USPS uses? They are all right hand drive so the driver is close to the mail box. I have seen jeep cherokees with right hand drive as well as right hand drive integras, skylines, etc. Its not illegal to drive on the right hand side.

I also think alot of you must be in california or some state that has rediculous inspections. Reason being is if you lived in the midwest in states that dont have inspections all you would need to do is get the ute into the country, find a wrecked g8 and use the title/registration from it to put a plate on the back of the ute. Its EXTREMELY unlikely any cop would know what a holden ute is to begin with but even if he did he would have to prove that you didnt just modify and put a bed on the back of a g8. I have seen alot of goofy conversions of camaros or suburbans to convertibles etc.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

sorry but you will have to be a sponsor if your trying to sell these (in the future) you can talk about your pillage of bringing one in the US, but not try to get people to go along with you.

Quick Reply: G8 ST - Holden Ute Import Who's Interested?