Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Pontiac is DEAD. 4/27/09 GM kills the brand. R.I.P.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Employee pricing and 0% financing on a GXP soon? Tee hee.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These cars have already dropped a bunch in value. They'll take a **** even more now that this has been announced.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

you think its possible they bring it back after the economy gets better and the bailout **** is over or am i being too optimistic? the only good news is this may be the only chance for some of us who dont make bank to get a G8 if the value of them drop a good bit
Old 04-27-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Used G8 GTs down here with less than 13k miles on them selling for 21k.......Also check Carmax, price is dropping
Old 04-27-2009, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

why are they keeping buick over pontiac?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Buick is huge in China. I guess thats more important then what we want.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Veteran

GM importing the Holden Commodore as the Pontiac G8 is going to stop and it will not be going to another brand.

The car is a lousy seller and even if it did sell it still wouldn't turn a profit. The days of GM selling profit free enthusiast cars are over.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
People AVOID buying cars that do not have a warranty.

...that is why Uncle O'Bama plans to use your tax dollars to back up the GM factory warranty on all models including the now defunct Pontiac.

Anyway, when Oldsmo-bubble went pow, their resale value went Pow too. Unfortunately, Uncle Sam can do nothing on this point.
That government back up of the factory warranty is only IF the entire company goes under. Anyone buying a new Pontiac, Saturn, or even HUMMER... their warranty will still be covered by GM(not the government). You might wind up having to take your new Pontiac G8 into a Chevy dealership for warranty work... but you will still be covered by GM and not the government back up warranty.(Really that back up warranty is sort of a joke to begin with. If GM were to go under completely... where would the government get parts for repairs???? (Assuming no aftermaket parts were available for repairs.)

As for resale value.... they are sure to plummet.... but it could make for a good deal on a good car IF you plan to hold on to the car and don't care about the resale value.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Pontiac statement (via web pdf)

Pontiac Statement and Q&A
April 27, 2008, 7 am
Pontiac brand to be phased out as part of GM’s more aggressive restructuring efforts
BACKGROUND
Since its inception in 1926, Pontiac has been known for delivering vehicles with both performance
and value. Over the past several years, the brand has been closely associated first with GMC
and then with Buick.
Statement attributable to Susan Docherty, GM North American Vice President, Buick-
Pontiac-GMC:
“Anyone who has been associated with the Pontiac brand knows that this was a difficult decision.
Pontiac has had a rich and storied history, but unfortunately, despite the efforts of all concerned,
the brand has been unprofitable over the past several years. We had hoped in our February 17
Viability Plan to convert Pontiac to a niche brand within the Buick-Pontiac-GMC channel.
However, the Viability Plan as submitted was not acceptable. GM was further challenged to take
more significant restructuring actions which would allow the company to be viable even in these
unprecedented market conditions and in any future cyclical market downturns. These
restructuring actions require further sacrifice by all stakeholders: GM employees, suppliers,
investors and dealers.
As part of these renewed restructuring efforts, we spent considerable time formulating Pontiac
portfolio scenarios that would allow the brand to be sustainable and profitable long term.
Unfortunately after careful evaluation, none of these scenarios proved viable.
Therefore, GM is announcing the phase out of the Pontiac brand by year end 2010. This action
will allow General Motors to devote its limited capital and other resources to GM’s four core
brands: Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC.”
Q&A
Q: What happens to my Pontiac vehicle warranty?
A: Pontiac vehicle warranty coverage is unchanged.
Q: Where can Pontiac customers get their vehicles serviced, especially if they have
been visiting a Pontiac-only dealership?
A: Customer service is paramount. Customers can have their vehicles serviced at any
Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealership.
Q. Will parts continue to be available for my Pontiac product?
A. Yes. Pontiac parts will continue to be available for the foreseeable future.
Q. Should I be worried about obtaining service for my Pontiac if my Pontiac dealer is
closing?
A. No. Eighty-five percent of the Buick-Pontiac-GMC sales are currently sold through Buick-
Pontiac-GMC aligned dealers. There are about 1,600 Buick-Pontiac-GMC aligned
dealerships throughout the United States. Our customer assistance center (US: 1-800-
762-2737; Canada 1-800-263-3777; Mexico 01 800 466 08 08) will provide Pontiac
customers with the location of the closest Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealer in the event the
selling dealer closes.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:20 AM
Staging Lane

So now the G8 is lost and gone but what's the odds of a new Buick GN? I know the number of doors don't match but could happen.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Buick needs to be there to make Cadillac worth it. They are going for the recreation of Caddy dominance but need an entry level luxury model. I'm sure they could make a Caddy or two that are cheaper and nice enough... but no. Caddy accounts for 5% of the sales volume to Pontiac's 9%. But like was said before. Buick is huge overseas.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Another GM web blog where people are writing nothing but hatred towards GM for this...

http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives...comment-110967
Old 04-28-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It really is a shame...but if G8 prices fall enough, maybe I can get one .
Old 04-28-2009, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks to Obama, the govt. will own GM here soon. Here comes communisium
Old 04-28-2009, 05:32 PM

Default Date mistake?

Guys..is it only me or is it actually true that the announcement has the wrong DATE??? (April 27 2008 <--- we're in 2009!) is it possible that they make such an obvious mistake and publish it on their official website?? cant they at least end Pontiac's life with some dignity? lol OR was this announcement really posted in 2008?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

does anyone have the numbers on how many G8s were made with what engine. just currious to see whats out thereand how hard it would be to get a G8 GXP either new or used.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

they should keep pontiac open and close down the hummer, saab, buick, branches like that,,,,,,thats in my own opinion,,,,,,,,,,
Old 04-29-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hummer and Saab (and Saturn) are going away. Buick is HUGE in China (as has been mentioned) so it won't be going anywhere in the foreseeable future. I'd expect GMC to get tweaked into a pure "work vehicle" brand moreso than it is currently also.

It sucks to see the Pontiac name die (though it means I can grab a G8 in a year or two for dirt cheap), but GM is still GM (mostly) and hopefully we'll see some decent new vehicles after the Camaro in a few years once things settle down. Chevy badge, Pontiac badge, it's just a grill and a sticker, the guts are the same after all.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Olds is dead. Why not axe Buick, GMC, and Hummer brands. Keep Chevy, Caddie, Pontiac, and Saturn. That way you have your face of GM in chevy, cars for old people and ghetto g's in caddy, pontiac could build freak stuff like the G8 GT etc, and Saturn is your small car manufacturer.

Makes sense to me.

GM is like a relative on heroin. No matter how much you love them and want to see them survive they're determined to do themselves in.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunately... Saturn has NEVER turned a profit for GM in its 20 year history.

But.... I think they should have(could have) kept Pontiac as a niche brand and killed off Buick... except keep Buick overseas since they do well in China.

That's not to say Buick couldn't come up with something good for the US market... Anyone remember the Buick Wildcat????

WOW.... after I for a photo.... I found the 2010 Buickwild Cat...

And Wildcat grandsport

I like the rear end of the grandsport!!!!! (Although... I would have extend the glass down more and rounded it like on the 4th gen Camaro/Firebird.) (From the body lines.... that looks like it is a trunk... not a hatch.)

Not sure I like either as much as the g8 though.

Not sure where these stand in production with the way things are right now.

Last edited by wabmorgan; 04-29-2009 at 12:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Pontiac is DEAD. 4/27/09 GM kills the brand. R.I.P.