Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Anyone dislike their G8 GT's ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

besides, most of the issues arent glaring ones, but they are minor inconveniences... nothing deserving of having the g8 called a lemon though...
Old 08-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Launching!

I love my car, it does have its issues most of which are due to GM like opening the sunroof for example. I have had the car since the end of March and only twice has the display on my radio goes blank. The radio will still play but you just can't see anything. Nothing a reboot won't fix, pop the car in neutral, turn it off, open the door, start it back up, and put it back in drive. It takes about 5 seconds to do and the display comes right back up. It's weird but nothing is perfect. As far as the front bumper getting marked as soon as I bought the car I put a 3M clear bug guard on it, love bug season down here is a bitch.

Last edited by Mike in LA; 08-14-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

6,500 miles and only complaints are...

too smooth of a ride at higher speeds

and

if you fail to put your gas cap on the car registers a check that fails and sets off check engine light

The first is something any idiot can take care of by using their speedometer and the second is something my 7 year old daughter can correct by simply tightening the gas cap fully.

I have not expereinced any of these problems that keep being brought up and I have not heard from any one I know about such problems. It seems like people like to whine and complain alot though.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by johnh
The shaking is likely the tires out of round or in need of balance. That's a common problem, I had it, it was annoying as hell to deal with. My stock tires still have it, my aftermarket tires don't.
This is another thing i forgot to mention that i got off the Grrr8 forum. 1 guy had a service manager tell him that he thought the tires were just flat spotted. This may just be what your problem is with your stock tires.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KC Henry
The GM G8/Commodore has actually been around since model year 2006, so its had only 1 less year to work all the "bugs" out in comparison to the less-troublesome 2005-2009 Mustang's.

I realize after working for BMW for 5 years, that not all Brand New cars are "Perfect", but I would like to think that GM wouldn't have sooo many common issues as mentioned on all the G8 forums...but then again... we are talking about the same GM that got rid of its V8 Correct-Wheel-Drive Sedan platforms (save for Cadillac).
Well i was only going with the G8's model years, which are just 2years but your right with the Commodore being around a few years more. Did the Commodore's have these problems though??
Old 08-14-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Badguy7
This is another thing i forgot to mention that i got off the Grrr8 forum. 1 guy had a service manager tell him that he thought the tires were just flat spotted. This may just be what your problem is with your stock tires.
Flat spotted???

I know old type tires do that but would these newer technologies tires do that? I am very skeptical of this statement and it somes like more BS.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ActionJack
Flat spotted???

I know old type tires do that but would these newer technologies tires do that? I am very skeptical of this statement and it somes like more BS.
Idk, that's what i got off that forum. It would be another thing to look into for all the vibrations being caused though.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Badguy7
Idk, that's what i got off that forum. It would be another thing to look into for all the vibrations being caused though.
Vibrations???

I wonder how many complaints for "vibrations" there are?

I remember something with the TA WS6 that many noobs mistook as a fault of the car when it was the car acting the way it was supposed to. In this case it was tremmeling (?spelling). The tires were pretty wide on the WS6 and for front tires the steering would be impacted by road conditions where the extra wide tire would grip grooves and cause a pull on the wheel.

I mention that because personally I hava had no problems with wheel shake but suspect it is probably something that is supposed to happen with those people that complain about. Maybe road conditions or similiar?

Besides I am pretty confident that if the vehicle had any issues that dealers would have TSBs to address any of these concerns when brought in to the dealership. So the question now is how many of these "complaints" have been taken to the dealer and what was the outsome IF they did go to the dealer?
Old 08-17-2009, 01:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

8K miles on my '09. I paid $27K for it ($34K MSRP) and do not have any complaints about it based on my purchase price. I didn't expect a BMW or Lexus at a $27K pricetag, I suppose I'm more realistic. Hell, I daily drove a shitbox f-body for quite a few years and thought those were great cars too

The G8 is a much better car, and I'd still say no other car compares for the current pricetag. This car gets a lot of compliments from everyone who sees it or goes for a ride in it. They can't believe it is a Pontiac.

Minor gripes? Sure, I have a few of those about every car I've owned. The passenger front seat not going back as far as the driver's seat. The thin paint on the nose. The touchy throttle in 1st gear from a slow roll. Thats about it. I can live with those.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a fix for the passenger seat slider, Tony

Other than the crappy paint, I have no issues.

A general balancing of tires doesn't remedy the vibration. A road force balance is the one to get, this will solve the vibration issues.

The stereo is fine by my standards, I turned up the bass bias in the trunk and have the equalizers set right where I want them.

The tune is crappy, but that's an easy and affordable fix, that not even the dealer can do. OP - Any performance car comes with a shabby tune that's not optimal for performance from the dealer, so don't make it like everything that comes off the floor is "perfect". A stealth tune will solve any warranty issues, IF your dealership frowns upon tunes in the first place. Or just keep a spare tune via HPT, superchips, EFI, etc etc, then load it up before you take it in. Simple.

The G8 KILLS the 'Stang in the handling department IMO, 'Stang doesn't have the confidence going into corners @ high speeds like the G8 does.

You make it sound like based upon the misreadings of a few and your buddies' opinion, that you wish to tell all who are interested in buying the G8 all the bad stuff. The goods outweight the bads 10 fold.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by '02 WS6
The tune is crappy, but that's an easy and affordable fix, that not even the dealer can do. OP - Any performance car comes with a shabby tune that's not optimal for performance from the dealer, so don't make it like everything that comes off the floor is "perfect". A stealth tune will solve any warranty issues, IF your dealership frowns upon tunes in the first place. Or just keep a spare tune via HPT, superchips, EFI, etc etc, then load it up before you take it in. Simple.
If you have a "Tune" and mistakenly think you can fool GM into Not Voiding your Powertrain Warranty should a problem arise then I suggest you read these short 8 pages completely ( http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12605 ).
Old 08-17-2009, 07:38 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KC Henry
If you have a "Tune" and mistakenly think you can fool GM into Not Voiding your Powertrain Warranty should a problem arise then I suggest you read these short 8 pages completely ( http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12605 ).
looks like you dont ever get tired of stirring the pot. if you can't tell most people around here are happy with their car.

did you read that thread? here are just a few quotes.

Argh here we go again LOL The E38 and T43 are VERY Capable of logging flash activity HOWEVER it's NEVER been implemented in any production release I've ever seen.

he GMVIS record only shows how may times GM's TIS has reprogrammed the module.

Most of the info in this thread is just old/rehashed and has been going on for some time. I've yet to read anyone on this forum having thier warranty voided?

The CVN is what is checked to make sure that the code is GM OEM or not. Change even one item in the code and the generated CVN becomes different. Put the code back to stock (every single bit) and the generated CVN then matches the GM CVN.

I think that's the most important point of all. Our chief mechanic spent more than twenty years as a troubleshooter for local Pontiac dealerships. When there'd be a problem that a local dealer couldn't fix, he was the one who took the call. And not once has he ever seen a warranty voided for this reason.

We have done several thousand tunes, and have not ever heard of a warranty being voided for an aftermarket tune.

Can a competent dealer see the CVN change using a Tech II? Yes.

Have we ever seen this to be an issue? No.

If you have any doubt at all, simply keep and reinstall your stock ECM when visiting a dealer.

Someone just please let me know when we have a "documented" warranty decine, ok? Until I'm done worrying........
Old 08-17-2009, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

The only thing I dislike id the DOD...Too much $$$$ to get rid of it
Old 08-17-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by parish8
did you read that thread?
My apologies that you are misinformed. Try re-reading the thread.

Page 2 / Post #21 (http://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...t=12605&page=2)

They may try to void the warranty, but they would be required to prove the flash caused the problem.

The above is absolutely false!!

Magnuson Moss is grossly misunderstood and often misquoted. MM generally disallows "tie in sales". Tie in sales would force you to buy a maintainance product or service from a specific company to get warranty benefits. (example: GM cannot deny your warranty claim if they find you have a Purolator oil filter installed by Jiffy Lube vs. an AC Delco oil filter installed by a GM dealer. In this type of scenario GM would need to prove the Purolator oil filter caused the failure.)

However MM goes on to say "your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product". This is the key gotcha clause!! GM is fully within their legal rights to say a tuner is inappropriate for the design parameters of your vehicle and it's use voids powertrain related warranty coverage. GM doesn't have to prove a thing in the case of an "inappropriate" modification!! (example: as long as a tuner is or was used in the past they do not have to prove it caused the problem.) All they have to say is that it was an inappropriate modification. The burden of proof then shifts to the owner of the vehicle to fight it out with GM and this is usually a very long and expensive battle with low probability of success.

GM spends mega bucks designing a powertrain system that has to reliably deliver a certain power level over a broad set of operating condition and over a 5 yr/100k warranty period. They also have to do this by providing adequate design margin which provides a reasonably/predictable failure rate that's inline with their warranty budget.

Now along comes a tuner that significantly alters those design parameters by increasing output and decreasing GM's design margin. All of a sudden the entire cost model is thrown out of whack due to warranty coverage on a design that's outside the operating envelope that GM's design intended.

Why should they absorb this added cost??

P.S. Here's MM if you want to read it yourself:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus01.shtm
Page 6 / Post# 113 (http://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...t=12605&page=6)

Final Word on my Blown Engine, PLEASE READ:

I was extremely lucky to have my car warrantied. They wouldn't tell me anything, but my father brought some food in for the service team after they finished up on my car. Apparently they were very close to being rejected by GM because although the codes were all there, they were not in correct sequence (whatever that means, I'm sure you tuners know better than I).

***So, Flashing back to stock may not guarantee you service on major work.***
Page 7 / Post # 135 (http://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...t=12605&page=7)

From the 2009 Pontiac Warranty Book:

Page 7
What is not covered: Damaged caused by any of the following:
bla bla bla.......racing or other competition......bla bla bla
Bummer, no trips to the drag strip allowed.

Page 14
The use of parts and/or control module calibrations not issued through General Motors will void the warranty coverage for those components that are damaged or otherwise affected by the installation of the non-GM part and/or control module calibration.

I'm not going to depend on a non-Pontiac dealer for any "warranty favors" in the future.
Page 4 / Post # 76 (http://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...t=12605&page=4)

GM doesn't need to know any tune "parameters". All they need to know is that the performance characteristics have been altered (past or present). That's enough for them to deny powertrain warranty coverage under Magnuson Moss and this shifts the burden of proof to the vehicle's owner.
I am not here to "stir a pot", just merely inform as many people as possible from making a potentially costly mistake.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:08 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

there are all kinds of posts on what they could do to you but the fact is i haven't seen one person post up where they did void their warranty. if your the type of person that will lose sleep knowing that there is a 1 in 10,000 chance they might void your warranty then i guess you are talking to that person. i dont think there are too many of that type on this board.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:08 PM
12 Second Club

How many warranties have been voided due to ECM/TCM tunes?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

^none
Old 08-18-2009, 02:06 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

If you are worried about voiding warranties on performance cars, you don't belong on this site. Period. Go find a G8 restoration society and hang out there instead
Old 08-18-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Bring me back for a day so I can ban the troll
Old 08-18-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
If you are worried about voiding warranties on performance cars, you don't belong on this site. Period. Go find a G8 restoration society and hang out there instead
Agreed! Otherwise, keep the car stock if your that worried.

Quick Reply: Anyone dislike their G8 GT's ?