Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Guys with bad lifters keeping afm come in

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 12:24 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 186 Posts
Default Guys with bad lifters keeping afm come in

For those guys that have the AFM/DOD G8s and Chevy SS that are keeping afm and looking for JUST lifter replacement, we now have very affordable replacement lifters and install kits available.
Replace just one banl(4) or just one lifter or all 8.
We have just the lifters, or lifter and install kit which includes head gasket(s) head bolt set, exhaust gaskets.

Of course we offer the afm/dod delete kits as well for THE BEST price anywhere, but this gives the afm guys another option for replacement!

Single lifters are $40
Single lifter replacement kit including 1 lifter $115
Single bank replacement kit includes 4afm lifters $230
Full engine afm replacement $440
Include 4 ls7 lifters for $28 or 8 for $55
We also carry brand new afm lifter trays $8 per
Old 11-09-2017, 06:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

hello I have a 07 5.3LH6.

just incase the collapsed lifter ruined the cam, do you sell the stock cam for AFM/DOD
and is this a one bolt type cam?

edit if the roller on bottom of lifter isn't chewed up can then the cam can be reused correct? then just replace the collapsed lifter.or better all lifters.

edit does the pushrod usually get damaged when lifter collapses
Thanks

Last edited by badmfkr; 11-09-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:34 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by badmfkr
hello I have a 07 5.3LH6.

just incase the collapsed lifter ruined the cam, do you sell the stock cam for AFM/DOD
and is this a one bolt type cam?

edit if the roller on bottom of lifter isn't chewed up can then the cam can be reused correct? then just replace the collapsed lifter.or better all lifters.

edit does the pushrod usually get damaged when lifter collapses
Thanks
You can reuse the cam. Going back to afm lifters youll want to replace all of them. the better option is to delete the afm system and go with ls7 lifters. cheaper also. we do sell the afm cam, all afm cams are single bolt iirc
Old 11-09-2017, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
You can reuse the cam. Going back to afm lifters youll want to replace all of them. the better option is to delete the afm system and go with ls7 lifters. cheaper also. we do sell the afm cam, all afm cams are single bolt iirc
hello I am the one that purchased the whole dod delete kit then decided to only return to stoch this vehicle and keep the gaskects, have yet to even pull the heads probally will in a couple weeks.

yes I was actually planning on swaping all AFM lifters and regular lifters

1.are the AFM/regular lifters you sell GM parts?

2.If I remember correctly when the LS7 lifter initially came out it was problematic. is this true or false?
3.mite be better to use LS2 lifters?

I have decided this midsized w/ a V8 is weaker and liter than I need I think I need a heavier more powerfull vehicle probally a 2500 series AWD D-Max will be my next try in a quest for towing however I prefer a 87octane gasser like a 6.2

4.edit: when heads are removed must they be resurfaced? I ask because I've never pulled a head the farthest modding for me so far is cam/ exhaust trans basicalley boltons.

Last edited by badmfkr; 11-09-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

1. our afm lifters are better and cheaper than gm. only avail in sets of 4.
2. the ls7 lifter has never been problematic.
3. You cannot get an ls2 lifter. if you search any ls engine or even sbc vortec, 3.8l, 4.3l or lt roller engine they all have the same pn.

You can get about 3 sep lifters in the aftermarket vs the delphi ls7 but they are cheap trash basically. The bodies look pretty bad and can be super tight in the bore.

4 it a good idea to have your heads flat milled.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
1. our afm lifters are better and cheaper than gm. only avail in sets of 4.
2. the ls7 lifter has never been problematic.
3. You cannot get an ls2 lifter. if you search any ls engine or even sbc vortec, 3.8l, 4.3l or lt roller engine they all have the same pn.

You can get about 3 sep lifters in the aftermarket vs the delphi ls7 but they are cheap trash basically. The bodies look pretty bad and can be super tight in the bore.

4 it a good idea to have your heads flat milled.
hello I'll take 8 AFM and 8 regular lifters plus OME head bolts/header bolts. Steve

still waiting for answer to previously un #ed
5.does the pushrod usually get damaged when lifter collapses?

6.what is a average cost of machine shop services if I remember correctly just looking/inspecting a block was $60.
what can I expect to pay for a head job?
or
7.do they resurface heads assembled?

I have the LS1 Crane valve spring tool and know how to assemble valves/stems/seats/springs/retainers and keepers so can I save assembly service.
8.Those victor head gaskets you sent appear very heavy duty is it mandatory to resurface heads?
Old 11-10-2017, 09:52 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The pushrods normally take no damage in that instance. The lifter doesnt normally fail like a std one does, it just never pumps back up so the net movement of the lifter either never changes or hardly changes hence the misfires.
Heads can be surfaced fully assembled yes.
Normally just for surface youre looking at $45-$80.
The gaskets are heavy duty, but a flat true surface is always a good idea.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro 2017 2SS 6.2 oil leaker

hey guys, been reading some of these posts about the lifters. I've been on a long journey, trying to discover why my engine is leaking oil out both seals No one has been able to diagnose a problem at this point. My latest theory is the lifters. I have it tuned to not use AFM but the lifters are still stock. If I hit the gas pretty hard when I let go of the pedal it always backfires, but sometimes it backfires just turning on or idling. So it looks like if the lifters are not lifting the valve is not opening and closing the pressure is not released, but it is build up, well that could be where the pressure in the crank case is coming from if I'm not mistaken. i've heard some people say the dip stick gets pushed out. Mine doesn't do that it's like it implodes you got to pull on the dipstick and there's pressure like it's sucking the dipstick inward creates so much blow by no way to get around it goes back into the intake two catch cans. my compression readings were 175, 180 range cylinder two was 220.

With this scenario in the description of my particular vehicle, which is mostly stock, I haven't changed anything internal such as CAM pistons or anything along those lines what lifter do you suggest keep in mind I'm probably going to switch out the entire set? Do you think rocker arms need to be replaced or just the lifters? And if this is the answer to this problem, I am going to be excited. I'm so tired of seeing oil everywhere.

you can remove the lifters by just removing the head cover, correct and fishing them out through the push rod bore?

however, I'm going to miss my weapon when I gun it really hard cars behind me so down because of all the oil vapor. Good way to get somebody to stop tailgating

Hope I didn't rant too much and provided good amount of information for you to answer the question about the lifters thanks.
Old 03-17-2023, 11:20 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Heads need to come off to access the lifters ...
Old 03-17-2023, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

OP oil will leak from front & rear engine covers,oil pan gasket an cylinder heads valve cover.
oil preasure sender I think a cam sensor also.

there's a required GM alinement tool & procedure for the engine covers if you removed a cover an reinstalled w/out said tool the LS will leak.
the weapon sounds like fun for the tail gaters.

Quick Reply: Guys with bad lifters keeping afm come in