Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Picked up a 2009 G8 GT yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Picked up a 2009 G8 GT yesterday

Arrived in Washington on Friday night after our cross-country drive from Virginia, bought my G8 on Saturday. It is a 2009 with 10,064 miles, Magnetic Grey Metallic, Sport Package, Premium Package, and is stock except for a Parrot 3200 LS bluetooth kit. Planning a stereo upgrade first, then probably a CAI and tune.

Here are some pics from the dealer site, I'll take some more after we close on our house and I get a chance to properly clean it up and take some more pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Picked up a 2009 G8 GT yesterday-10769116_009.jpg   Picked up a 2009 G8 GT yesterday-10769116_002.jpg   Picked up a 2009 G8 GT yesterday-10769116_003.jpg  
Old 10-24-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice find. The intake and tune is a must. The trans tune is a night and day difference. The factory stereo is lacking alot as well. I started by replacing all the door speakers with Infinity 6.5" components and replaced the factory subs with Kicker comp 8's. The stereo sounds alot better now but it could use a couple amps. Let the modding begin
Old 10-24-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm looking at a Roto-fab CAI and might tune it myself. I have to check around here for shops. If I can find a good one, I might sell my HPT stuff and just have it tuned once and be done with it.

I just sent KEE Audio a PM asking about a recommended system. I've already listened to some Focal components locally that sounded great but were too deep for the front doors. I've owned Boston Acoustics components before that sounded great, but their pro stuff also doesn't fit and I don't want to modify panels or do buildouts. If all else fails, I'll go with Boston SC60 comps in the front and SC65 coaxs in the back, Alpine PDX-5 or JL Audio HD900/5 amp, and a single 10" or 12" in the trunk.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Roto-fab is a good choice. The trans tune is the complicated part of the tune. There are over 2000 parameters in the transmission. I had Frost tune my car. He isnt too far away from you or VA speed would be a good choice as well.

I would like to get an Alpine PDX-5 amp as well. It is a good choice to power the 4 door speakers and a sub. Focal makes some really nice speakers but they cost alot of $$$. Boston Acoustics are good as well.

Last edited by 2QUIK4U; 10-27-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Great pickup, looks like my car when it was new

You can get a CAI/Tune package from Livernois for a decent price....good way to start out modding it.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2QUIK4U
Nice find. The intake and tune is a must. The trans tune is a night and day difference. The factory stereo is lacking alot as well. I started by replacing all the door speakers with Infinity 6.5" components and replaced the factory subs with Kicker comp 8's. The stereo sounds alot better now but it could use a couple amps. Let the modding begin
What would be the approx cost of something like that? How much does it help?
Old 10-27-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2QUIK4U
The Roto-fab is a good choice. The trans tune is the complicated part of the tune. There are over 2000 parameters in the transmission. I had Frost tune my car. He isnt too far away from you or VA speed would be a good choice as well.

I would like to get an Alpine PDX-5 amp as well. It is a good choice to power the 4 door speakers and a sub. Focal makes some really nice speakers but they cost alot of $$$. Boston Acoustics are good as well.
I just updated my profile, I'm no longer in Virginia. Steve does great tunes, but I'm in Washington state now. I adjusted the bass amp gain control all the way up and spent some more time tweaking the head unit settings, it sounds a little better now but still is far from great. I still like the Alpine amp but I'm also checking out the JL Audio XD700/5 along with a CDT Audio package recommended by Kee Audio.

Originally Posted by Rawyzf
Great pickup, looks like my car when it was new

You can get a CAI/Tune package from Livernois for a decent price....good way to start out modding it.
Thanks! I will check out Livernois.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the purchase! G8's are great cars!!

Thanks for the referral Rawyzf!

The Rotofab CAI can be found here

and our X-treme Cal tuning device can be found here

The X-Treme Cal Interface allows us to achieve results equivalent to dyno tuning for simple bolt-on's, aftermarket power adder or full bolt-on vehicles that normally require custom tuning at a dyno facility*. This interface is a single VIN unit with the ability to data log. The interface is yours to keep, so we can send you updates to our tune files as they become available or update your tune if you do further modifications (within reason).

The X-Treme Cal Interface reads out your factory PCM program, which you can save should you ever need to return your vehicle to the stock PCM program. Restoring your vehicle to the stock PCM program is quick and easy.

The software is included, so all you will need is a laptop of your own.

Includes:
X-Treme Cal Interface
X-Treme Cal Software
USB Interface to Laptop Cord
OBD-2 Interface to Vehicle Cord

If you purchase both items together, I would be willing to discount the order by $50.00.

Thank you

Regards,

Rick LeBlanc
Livernois Motorsports
Old 10-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LivernoisMotorsports
Congrats on the purchase! G8's are great cars!!

Thanks for the referral Rawyzf!

The Rotofab CAI can be found here

and our X-treme Cal tuning device can be found here

The X-Treme Cal Interface allows us to achieve results equivalent to dyno tuning for simple bolt-on's, aftermarket power adder or full bolt-on vehicles that normally require custom tuning at a dyno facility*. This interface is a single VIN unit with the ability to data log. The interface is yours to keep, so we can send you updates to our tune files as they become available or update your tune if you do further modifications (within reason).

The X-Treme Cal Interface reads out your factory PCM program, which you can save should you ever need to return your vehicle to the stock PCM program. Restoring your vehicle to the stock PCM program is quick and easy.

The software is included, so all you will need is a laptop of your own.

Includes:
X-Treme Cal Interface
X-Treme Cal Software
USB Interface to Laptop Cord
OBD-2 Interface to Vehicle Cord

If you purchase both items together, I would be willing to discount the order by $50.00.

Thank you

Regards,

Rick LeBlanc
Livernois Motorsports
You betcha! Now just hook me up with some kinda deal on a Cam and Install package.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

Congrats on the pick up.

Quick Reply: Picked up a 2009 G8 GT yesterday