Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

2009 g8 gxp m6

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the G8 is a good car but GM made me foot too much of the cost and did not provide enough value in certain areas.

I had steering wheel shake for a long time and I am not sure what fixed it. It just doesn't happen anymore. I have tried swapped many sets of tires, rotations, rebalancing wheels many times. GM didn't pay for a dime of it even when my car was new.

I had the pulley squeak issue. GM provided 0 support. I fixed it by purchasing a new PS pulley.

Recently the car developed a washing sound when braking (breaking <--lol). I am not sure what it is. Doesn't seem critical.

Overall my opinion is that the drivetrain is rock solid. The interior is visually pleasing but could be better. I am very mad as an owner that parts will be hard to find soon and I would wish to get out of the vehicle just to due to this one issue.

I will warn you fuel mileage on these vehicles is horrible. I get about 18MPG and spend over 350$/month on fuel alone.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy the Gxp. ONE OF THE BEST CARS I HAVE EVER OWED... Do not regret buying the car and mine is one of 10 made...Clutch is very strange but I got over 500 rwhp now and nothing funner than show new Camaro SS owners 4 door taillights. The 373 gears really make this car enjoyable to drive compared to the SS with its 342 gears.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
I haven't heard of any front wheel bearing failures but the front control arm failure is widespread. There are some aftermarket companies that are addressing that issue with stronger parts. I have 50,000 miles on my G8 and it hasn't been down for more than one day on a few different occasions.

It seems you're blowing this out of proportion, the cars are still being produced in Australia unlike the GTO which is no longer in production. Plus as I said earlier, many of the Camaro parts fit the G8 (clutch/trans/motor/rear end) and the Chevy cop car also shares many parts with it so it won't be a problem. As long as a fair amount of the cop cars are sold GM has to supply parts for them.

I'm currently considering buying my wife a G8 since it's such a great car, even with all this talk about limited parts availability. It's either that or a Dodge Charger which she also likes.
My GTO had front strut failure new, this happened on a few batches on them due to faulty struts. It was down 3 weeks in the first 600 miles waiting for parts.

My first G8 had the steering wheel shake bad. I ended up trading it in for my GXP which thankfully does not have it. The circuit board that the shift mechanism uses broke in the first 1000 miles and it was down for a week and a half waiting for a new one. No issues since.

A few of my friends bought G8s as well. One purchased a GT and it had numerous ball joint failures, it was a long wait for parts (since it is an Australian car and the majority of parts unique to it are not stocked in mass quanities in the US) and the car was down for a long time numerous times. He traded it and won't buy GM again.

Another friend still has his and it also has steering wheel shake and electrical and climate control issues. He's looking to trade it on a Subaru STi or BRZ soon.

You can read Aussie automotive news, the Caprice hasn't done very well with agencies yet so it might be killed off as a failure. That's not going to enhance the parts situation for G8 owners.

I like mine, I think it's a good car to play with but I wouldn't want to depend on it or have it as my only vehicle. A Charger, any SRT8 car, a CTS-V or something sourced from North America would be a better bet for a long term vehicles unless you just want a toy car.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:46 PM

is there a big difference between the GT and the GXP? im in california and i cant find any m6 gxps
Old 01-30-2012, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by nono50
Buy the Gxp. ONE OF THE BEST CARS I HAVE EVER OWED... Do not regret buying the car and mine is one of 10 made...Clutch is very strange but I got over 500 rwhp now and nothing funner than show new Camaro SS owners 4 door taillights. The 373 gears really make this car enjoyable to drive compared to the SS with its 342 gears.
I highly doubt you have 500 RWHP and ZERO clutch slip. It can be done but it won't hold all the power on multiple runs w/o getting a spongy pedal. Unless you have an aftermarket clutch!

Originally Posted by TriShield
My GTO had front strut failure new, this happened on a few batches on them due to faulty struts. It was down 3 weeks in the first 600 miles waiting for parts.

My first G8 had the steering wheel shake bad. I ended up trading it in for my GXP which thankfully does not have it. The circuit board that the shift mechanism uses broke in the first 1000 miles and it was down for a week and a half waiting for a new one. No issues since.

A few of my friends bought G8s as well. One purchased a GT and it had numerous ball joint failures, it was a long wait for parts (since it is an Australian car and the majority of parts unique to it are not stocked in mass quanities in the US) and the car was down for a long time numerous times. He traded it and won't buy GM again.

Another friend still has his and it also has steering wheel shake and electrical and climate control issues. He's looking to trade it on a Subaru STi or BRZ soon.

You can read Aussie automotive news, the Caprice hasn't done very well with agencies yet so it might be killed off as a failure. That's not going to enhance the parts situation for G8 owners.

I like mine, I think it's a good car to play with but I wouldn't want to depend on it or have it as my only vehicle. A Charger, any SRT8 car, a CTS-V or something sourced from North America would be a better bet for a long term vehicles unless you just want a toy car.
I won't buy another GM car again. GM shouldn't make owners pay for things like AC compressor brackets.....
Old 01-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Teching In

I have a GT and have been thinking about trading up to the GXP. My G8 is my go fast Dad car. Sure it some quirks but what car doesn't. Overall its great.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FQWS6
is there a big difference between the GT and the GXP? im in california and i cant find any m6 gxps
Not really. The GXP has the LS3, offered a manual transmission, had front Brembo brakes and they only made 1,800 of them. The rest of the drivetrain/exhaust differences over the GT are minor.

As someone who owned a GT and went to a GXP they drive virtually the same. If you want to drive the crap out of one or hot rod it go with a GT and use the money you saved to buy mods.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exactly! The Brembo brakes will bolt right on the GT but you'll need larger wheels. And with a tune and a cold air intake the GT will be just as fast. The only reason to get a GXP would be for the manual trans, otherwise just mod the GT and enjoy the cost savings.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Couldnt get the amount and payments were I wanted with the car. No go on the deal.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to hear that, just get a GT and you'll love it.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Bought it. The credit union took care of me.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

Exclamation

[QUOTE=Bo White;15916538]Bought it. The credit union took care of me.[/QUOTE

Congrats! Pics............
Old 02-02-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Hopefully this weekend.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TriShield
Not really. The GXP has the LS3, offered a manual transmission, had front Brembo brakes and they only made 1,800 of them. The rest of the drivetrain/exhaust differences over the GT are minor.

As someone who owned a GT and went to a GXP they drive virtually the same. If you want to drive the crap out of one or hot rod it go with a GT and use the money you saved to buy mods.
I think you have a point. If you are going to be stock the GXP wins. Otherwise if you bump up the HP, the GXP gear is too much and the money saved could go for wider wheels, suspension goodies, and bushings.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Realisticly I will remain internally stock or will for a long time. Either way I will say it will be internally stock for a minimum of 2 to 3 years.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats on getting the financing for the GXP! What color is it?
Old 02-03-2012, 02:45 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Props on the new ride, Bo! Of course, the first thing you'll want to do to it is port the TB .

But TriShield's comments on the interior are spot on. It's a hi-maintenance deal - not like our old f-bodies which, believe or not, are much more durable.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:07 AM
TECH Regular

First money I would spend would be a tune for sure!! Just my 2 cents worth! Congrats again!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Thanx everyone!
Same color as your wifes ride RevGTO, PBM w/ onyx/onyx interior.
My plans are(for the next 2 years anyway) BMR subframe connectors(to keep squeeks and rattles down as much as possible), X midpipe, intake, TB porting and a SCT dyno tune. I will post dynosheets of the progression.
BTW, anyone make a good shifter for this thing? I feel alot of flex in the stocker.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hurst makes one for the new Camaro that also fits the G8 GXP.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=29566

Quick Reply: 2009 g8 gxp m6