Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

2005 Echo with intermittent no-start

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Echo with intermittent no-start

3 times now there's been nothing when key turned. 1st time wife had it jumped and that worked. Couple weeks later I started in driveway, moved it, turned it off and it would not re-start. Boosting did not work. Presumed the starter but new starter, same prob. Testing light at starter lit up when key turned in ignition. Cleaned and vaselined the + battery terminal but still nothing. The temperature light on the dash was flickering and I noticed this still occurred when key removed - also all the power items worked with key out (radio, locks, wipers, windows). I cleaned the neg battery terminal and... The thing started! - but I think it was coincidental. Now, 1 week later, same prob again. Boost did not work. Wife says headlights flickered with key out of ignition and lights not turned on. When I was on my way to get her, wife tried 1 more time and it started. Weather warm and dry today. Any ideas?
Old 08-02-2012, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

I would start out with checking the alarm system or kill switch on the car. Next test the alternator, ignition switch or flashing the ECU. When the car is running, how does it run? Is it barely idling, or revs above normal? It sounds like your starter is not making a full circuit, or there is a bad ground somewhere. Or it could be in a short of the above listed devices. Does the car have an alarm system? Try disabling it. It could have been re-activated when you changed your starter out and disconnected the battery. There may be an alarm system present form before you owned it, or a factory one. Best of luck!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wtf? Are we talking Toyota...
Old 08-03-2012, 08:01 AM

I have had the car for 2 years and am not aware of an alarm system installed. There was a flashing light on the dash which I presumed to be a fake alarm... How can I see if there is old alarm hooked up?
Re kill switch - hmm, not sure what that is...
The alternator - if that was bad it would still boost, right? I tested the ignition switch with the test light at the starter - light went on when key turned.
When the car is running, all is good and it runs as normal.?
The suggestion that it is a bad ground somewhere or a short seems likely (unfortunatly).
Would a bad starter relay cause these symptoms?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Without checking under the dash, behind the glove box or under the seats, theres no guarantee there isn't an alarm. A kill switch prevents the circuit from completing to the starter/ignition switch if the vehicle thinks its being stolen, and could be your problem if your alarm killswitch is malfunctioning. It could be the relay from the starter. The alternator keeps the battery charged, but if it has a bad coil it could prevent starter connect too. I never have known of false alarm dash lights, especially in models that old though. Without looking at it myself, its hard to tell what it is when it's electrical. Try taking to electrical shop for diagnostic. They may charge 60-70 but you'll know for sure.

Last edited by omgitsmikeyc; 08-03-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Quick Reply: 2005 Echo with intermittent no-start