Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Potential New G8 GT owner (Your thoughts)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential New G8 GT owner (Your thoughts)

Hey all, I am car shopping right now and came across a great deal.

It's a 2009 G8 GT in Magnetic Gray Metallic, Onyx Interior and it has the premium package. The exterior and interior are almost perfect with respect toa few stone chips on the front bumper. The current mileage is 120k (all expressway).

The main downfalls for me here are
*No sport package (but I can grab some 2010 camaro rims and be set!)
*No sunroof (I have always had one and love the feeling of them being open

The perks
* Price (~$14,000, I can get it lower because it is a personal sale however that is also the KBB value ont his car.)
*completely stock (lets me know about the history of the car to a degree, owned by a older gentlemen)

I am coming from a 2006 Grand Prix GXP (LS4) and am unsure how I feel about the change. After talking to some people with GT's I understand the transmission is near bulletproof and the engine holds up well. I believe the LCA problems were solved by 09 as well.

Are the Atari gauges possible to add?
Anything that I should check out in particular while going to look at the car?

Here are some images of it . What do you think of the deal?

Old 09-30-2012, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

Nice G8 but wow it has some miles on it! If it runs good jump on it
Old 09-30-2012, 08:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

thats a lotta miles . I think go for it , if you could get it for like 12 and then just be prepared for a trans rebuild or engine rebuild . I dont think the engine would have problems yet but the trans could. Dont sweat the no sunroof , and as for rims go to g8board and find some , and my cousin has an 08 gt with the camaro replicas from tirerack. looks great .
Old 09-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Atari gauges can be installed in the car but the VIN has to be reprogrammed to work. Pay attention to going over small bumps and listen for a knocking sound as the front lower control arms are notorious for not lasting long. Go on g8board.com and grrrr8.net in order to learn the ins and outs. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

That's not a bad price!!!!

If you are planning on keeping it stock you need to know that the lifters in these have a high failure rate........but if your planning on a cam, lifters change anyway no big deal.
Mine has 21,000 on it and I've already gotten rid of the lifters while doing my DOD delete project.

Now for the good, best damn GM I've ever owned!!!!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's not getting that car for 12k. Trade in is more. First thing you do after purchasing that car is DOD delete, even if you go with a stock LS3 cam or similar.. Those lifters are junk.. I would also recommend having the oil pan dropped and inspect the rod bearings, running regular in these cars has a nasty effect on the bearings over time (you should've seen my cars 109k mile bearings and what they did to the crank). Mileage wouldn't scare me, lower mileage, one owner no accident car will be $20k easy.. best of luck hope you get it for $13k. That would be a great deal.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
He's not getting that car for 12k. Trade in is more. First thing you do after purchasing that car is DOD delete, even if you go with a stock LS3 cam or similar.. Those lifters are junk.. I would also recommend having the oil pan dropped and inspect the rod bearings, running regular in these cars has a nasty effect on the bearings over time (you should've seen my cars 109k mile bearings and what they did to the crank). Mileage wouldn't scare me, lower mileage, one owner no accident car will be $20k easy.. best of luck hope you get it for $13k. That would be a great deal.
I intend on doing your basic bolt ons. Vararam Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust and of course a tune. During the tune I will get rid of DOD. I did that in my GXP and enjoyed the drive much more.

It is priced at $14,00, KBB is $13,900. I will let you guys know the price we settle on.

Thanks for the replys. I test drive on Tuesday
Old 10-02-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Well, I test drove it tonight. The car is in great shape. No shakes or shimmys at any speed. Starts up quietly and no noises going over bumps. The only thing I am unsure of it there was a small bit of "drivetrain feel" (its the only way I can describe it), perhaps this is just AFM kicking in an Im not used to it because it is tuned out in my GXP? I think im buying it guys....!

Old 10-03-2012, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

Good price, i'd consider a full engine rebuild for the price range, put in a nice cam and port the heads and get the trans inspected for wear/shavings in the trans fluid. Check the bushings and shocks, also ask for the vehicle history report, or order one yourself. GLWP, looks like a great car for the money.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 AM
On The Tree

Car looks gr8 hope everything turns out good for you!!
Old 10-04-2012, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hazards280
Well, I test drove it tonight. The car is in great shape. No shakes or shimmys at any speed. Starts up quietly and no noises going over bumps. The only thing I am unsure of it there was a small bit of "drivetrain feel" (its the only way I can describe it), perhaps this is just AFM kicking in an Im not used to it because it is tuned out in my GXP? I think im buying it guys....!
As long as you budget for a DOD delete and general things (My point is make sure you have some headroom for ownership in this case) i would get it, looks like a well cared for vehicle. I have no regrets with my purchase. I love the car. Probably one of the best vehicles GM ever built, they seem to age gracefully. I've owned many over the decades and this is my favorite.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Teching In

I wouldn’t worry about engine rebuilds or anything else for that matter. 120k is nothing on an LS engine. These cars do have lifter issues but they are more of a nuisance than anything. Yes some do fail but most don’t. I plan to keep my G8 well past 200K.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mtocrs1
I wouldn’t worry about engine rebuilds or anything else for that matter. 120k is nothing on an LS engine. These cars do have lifter issues but they are more of a nuisance than anything. Yes some do fail but most don’t. I plan to keep my G8 well past 200K.

We all have opinions, one thing is to base them on fact or "personal belief"

here's my facts

when you drive 20-30k mile s on a couple failed lifters it causes premature wear on the bearings/rotating assembly/cam, etc.

Speaking form first hand knowledge having owned 5 GM vehicles, cars and trucks, with them.

If GM would have reduced the weight of the DOD equipped vehicles by 100 lbs they would've saw the same MPG increase DOD gave them and saved millions on warranty repair and reputation "knock".

My Tuner has deleted dozens of vehicles equipped with them. mostly lower mileage vehicles that were modified. Even stock vehicles before 100k that came in for cam sawps etc. have lifters that were toast and the owners didn't even know it. they got used to the "ticking" over time.

Call any reputable performance shop and inquire they will tell you the first thing to do on a high mileage DOD vehicle is Delete it.

Good day.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Talking

We all have opinions, one thing is to base them on fact or "personal belief"

here's my facts
Here are my comments/questions to your "facts"

when you drive 20-30k mile s on a couple failed lifters it causes premature wear on the bearings/rotating assembly/cam, etc.
What kind of failures are you referring to? A lifter that has failed to the extent that it is sending anything throught the engine to damage bearings etc. would not last 20k. 90% of the lifter failures in these engines are lifter bleed down issues. The failure you seem to be referring to is when the roller breaks. The roller issue is not common.
Speaking form first hand knowledge having owned 5 GM vehicles, cars and trucks, with them.
No comment, but maybe telling how many actually failed would be a good data point.
If GM would have reduced the weight of the DOD equipped vehicles by 100 lbs they would've saw the same MPG increase DOD gave them and saved millions on warranty repair and reputation "knock".
Reducing the weight of a vehicle 100 lbs will not gain 2 MPG.

My Tuner has deleted dozens of vehicles equipped with them. mostly lower mileage vehicles that were modified. Even stock vehicles before 100k that came in for cam sawps etc. have lifters that were toast and the owners didn't even know it. they got used to the "ticking" over time.
Again ticking does not cause debris in engine to damage bearings.
Call any reputable performance shop and inquire they will tell you the first thing to do on a high mileage DOD vehicle is Delete it.
Of course they will. Thats what keeps their doors open.

Good day.
These are just my opinions and some facts. I hope you dont take offense. I love a good debate. No I didnt use spellcheck.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mtocrs1
These are just my opinions and some facts. I hope you dont take offense. I love a good debate. No I didnt use spellcheck.
to address these issues would require another thread, independent of the OP's concerns. but as to not allow you to misunderstand my points:

when the DOD lifter begins to fail it causes excessive vibration and the lifter fails to pump all the way up in V8 mode causing the wear on the engine parts i listed...picture "BANG BANG BANG" thousands of times per minute... like little hammers.. little pieces, shavings, shards, whatever you want to call them, from the bearings taking a thrashing, running rampant inside of the engine before getting trapped in the filter, if you're lucky..

that takes care of MOST of the bold in your post. as for my vehicles 2 of the 5 had issues early in their life, my vehicles were run at the track, no power adders, but bolton, stalled etc. the DOD lifters due not react well to high RPM, heavy vehicles. fact. seen it with my own two eyes. on not just mine but numerous others. forget about using nitrous.

Also, DOD does not gain 2mpg over non DOD.. try 1 at best and in some cases negligible benefit as it never even works (think 5.3 4x4 crew pickup and suburbans). just my opinion, no problem debating the topic..

Back on point to the OP, budget for the internal engine check and possible replacement parts (worst case, but i know what you're going to find lol). I would buy that G8 in a heart beat but with the understanding that it's not an old school low tech chevy small block. They're not that reliable, as many claim they are, not by a long shot.

PS. How many Cadillac 4100 V6's head gaskets leaked coolant into the oil?? 10-15%?? would you have bought one back then lol? no.. Not to mentioned the GM V8-6-4 Caddy's.. all of them (i ever layed eyes on and that was quite a few as i was 10 when they came out) were converted to straight V8's within a few years. GM doesn't learn, quick fix to a problem. history always repeats itself, just a matter of time i guess... You know the definition of insanity right? lol
Old 10-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Banned

Sounds reasonable.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

DOD is useless on heavy vehicles that see anything other than pure highway use on flat ground. I live in hill country with a 50/50 mix of highway and stop & go traffic, DOD was useless. I did DOD delete as fast as I could, with the right tune and cam worst case your mileage will be the same.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Teching In

to address these issues would require another thread, independent of the OP's concerns. but as to not allow you to misunderstand my points:

when the DOD lifter begins to fail it causes excessive vibration and the lifter fails to pump all the way up in V8 mode causing the wear on the engine parts i listed...picture "BANG BANG BANG" thousands of times per minute... like little hammers.. little pieces, shavings, shards, whatever you want to call them, from the bearings taking a thrashing, running rampant inside of the engine before getting trapped in the filter, if you're lucky..

that takes care of MOST of the bold in your post. as for my vehicles 2 of the 5 had issues early in their life, my vehicles were run at the track, no power adders, but bolton, stalled etc. the DOD lifters due not react well to high RPM, heavy vehicles. fact. seen it with my own two eyes. on not just mine but numerous others. forget about using nitrous.

Also, DOD does not gain 2mpg over non DOD.. try 1 at best and in some cases negligible benefit as it never even works (think 5.3 4x4 crew pickup and suburbans). just my opinion, no problem debating the topic..

Back on point to the OP, budget for the internal engine check and possible replacement parts (worst case, but i know what you're going to find lol). I would buy that G8 in a heart beat but with the understanding that it's not an old school low tech chevy small block. They're not that reliable, as many claim they are, not by a long shot.

PS. How many Cadillac 4100 V6's head gaskets leaked coolant into the oil?? 10-15%?? would you have bought one back then lol? no.. Not to mentioned the GM V8-6-4 Caddy's.. all of them (i ever layed eyes on and that was quite a few as i was 10 when they came out) were converted to straight V8's within a few years. GM doesn't learn, quick fix to a problem. history always repeats itself, just a matter of time i guess... You know the definition of insanity right? lol
We are just going to have to agree to dissagree on this one. Unless I am mistaken the reason oems use hydraulic lifters is to account for manufacturing tollerances in the valvetrain and keep what you described "BANG BANG BANG" from occuring. Yes if the lifter were to not pump up at all I can see this happening, however I would hope anyone hearing a fully collapsed lifter would get the issue taken care of.
Maybe your definition of failure and mine are different.
My G8 currently has failed DOD lifters but the failure is that they rattle on start occasionally. Would I like to have them replaced sure. Am I worried about about the engine durrability? No, the noise just irritates me.

Just an FYI. I live in the heartland and travel 120 miles a day for work. DOD off. 26MPG highway. DOD on 28MPG. Same route, same time, same gas pump.
DOD enable/dissable parameters tuned via HP tuners. I guess its what you make of it.

Sorry for the thread jacking. Looks like a nice car. Some 20 inch Camaro wheels would look killer on it.

Quick Reply: Potential New G8 GT owner (Your thoughts)