Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

thinking about trading my 02 ws6 in on 08 g8 gt. thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default thinking about trading my 02 ws6 in on 08 g8 gt. thoughts?

Hello all, lately I have been thinking about trading in my ws6 1st for a ctsv but the more I think about it, I love the look and the feeling behind the wheel of the g8. My 1st question ( for now) is would you do it again? I currently have no payment, with the g8 I would (300ish short term) my ws6 just has an lm1 exhaust, a lid, and bilstien slps. I have a cam and Lt headers, and the dual/ dual to go on with the headers. And a bunch of other stuff hanging around here.... Should I jump in? Or hold off save my money and build the car I have. Honesty!

Thanks
Bruce

Last edited by fastbird02; 03-29-2013 at 10:56 PM. Reason: auto correct
Old 03-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Well I had a lowish mile 2000 SS with lid, LS6 instake, dual-dual, and Pat G cam that was paid for

Sold it and bought my G8 which I love (even though its not near as fast or intimidating!)

Not sure a dealer would give you very much trade in value. Good luck with what you decide!
Old 03-30-2013, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Ya, if I decide to go for the g8, I think I might just sell my car out right... Depends on what they want to give me for it.... Maybe a dumb question, is it hard to find a gt with a sunroof? I would hate going from ttops to a solid roof. Not that it would be even close to a deciding factor, just curious....
Old 03-30-2013, 02:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Sunroofs are fairly common.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If the car is not a daily driver i'd definitely stay with your WS6
Old 03-30-2013, 10:31 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 210 Likes on 177 Posts

I've considered taking over my wife's G8 for a daily (especially during winter when my DD Formula starts feeling harsh to me). I really like the G8, but I can't bring myself to put one of my Formulas up for sale in order to do it. My f-bodies fit me like a glove, and while the smooth sophistication of the G8 is appealing, I'd miss the daily experience of the f-body's rowdy character.

Be forewarned: my wife's G8 has a sunroof, but there's no comparison to t-tops!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Launching!

my ws6 is my dd. i love driving my car, but i hate the interior, i have added bluetooth, and a few other modern mods, but its still old, has the interior really changed that much since the 3rd gen?

either way i will be keeping my car through t-top weather. but i really think im gonna pull the trigger aug-oct...

Last edited by fastbird02; 04-03-2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: type error
Old 04-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Pontiacerator

Unless it's a 2009.5, the G8 won't have bluetooth. My wife only figured out hers didn't after the purchase and she was pissed! These cars are suprisingly low-tech for their newness.

I don't think the G8 interior is much superior to the Fomula/Trans Am. Sure, there's less hard plastic, but the G8 leather is a dry matte finish, the seats are somewhat hard, smudges and scratches appear real easily on the panels, and the plastic on the seatbacks on other areas oxidizes and develops a film that must be wiped off periodically.

The f-body interior is more durable and much easier to maintain. My DD Formula interior with 117k looks better than my wife's G8 with 27k.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G8 is a better DD than the ws6. And I'm not really sure what he's talking about ^^ My car's interior looks fantastic. That's because I take care of it.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:32 PM

Sunroofs are actually quite rare on the GT's. I would say 1 in 5 or so have a sunroof. There isnt a whole lot of differences between 08-09s. If you can find a 09.5 like someone else said, you'll have bluetooth. I actually really like it. 08s don't have XM radio. Couple things if and when you do buy..Listen for the LCA's there notorious for clunking. Also with the GT's listen for the lifter tick. A few basic bolt ons will REALLY wake the car up. Pick yourself up a Cortex tuner. You can tune the engine on 91 and let that tranny shift how it's supposed too. Good Luck!!
Old 04-04-2013, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I don't think the G8 interior is much superior to the Fomula/Trans Am.

The f-body interior is more durable and much easier to maintain. My DD Formula interior with 117k looks better than my wife's G8 with 27k.
Sorry but if this is true... you either need to clean your wifes car or youve just lost your mind. Ive had FIVE clean 4th gens and NONE of them could be claimed better than my G8s interior...

As I said... ive had five 4th gens...so Im not a hater... just keeping it real
Old 04-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
Sorry but if this is true... you either need to clean your wifes car or youve just lost your mind. Ive had FIVE clean 4th gens and NONE of them could be claimed better than my G8s interior... As I said... ive had five 4th gens...so Im not a hater... just keeping it real
I've had five clean f-bodies as well and I did just get finished cleaning my wife's G8 on Sunday - as I do regularly. To be sure, she is much harder on her interior than I am on mine, but nevertheless, I stand by my comments about the G8 interior materials. They're just weird - I'm not impressed.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:59 AM
TECH Veteran

The interior of the G8 is better in every concievable way, but like RevGTO said some of the stuff it's made out of it weird. The black grainy plastic will mar if you so much as breath on it and most of the lower part of the inside is made out of it.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in a similar situation - except my DD was an '04 Mustang GT and I wound up trading to a 2009 Charger R/T. I must say, the modern amenities of a later model car are very nice. NAV, bluetooth, sat radio, DVD, ipod dock in the glovebox, 32gig hard drive, heated seats - plus I installed the mygig lockpick which freed up all the functionality while driving (I can input NAV addresses and watch DVDs (at least my passenger can) while driving) and allowed me to install front and rear cameras which show on the NAV screen.

The Charger R/T blows away the Mustang and I love it so much I've considered trading it AND my CETA convertible M6 for the new SRT8 Charger (470 hp) - but since the CETA is a weekend car and rare and loud and fast and cool, I can't bring myself to do it. Plus the R/T with a diablosport inTune is plenty ballsy enough. So I will keep and enjoy both.

All that said - FWIW - personally if I had to pick one - I would rather drive the G8 (or comparable late model RWD V8 sedan) as a DD instead of the older T/A. And I love Trans Ams - but all in, driving my kids, lugging their (and my) stuff around, out to dinner with the wife - the sedan is a better chouce
Old 04-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Teching In

I would do it, I had a Trans Am that was my DD and sold it and bought a G8. I loved my Trans Am but DD it got kind of old, also it was to the point of being a 13 year old car so it began having issues. The G8 is awesome, it handles great has some power and I love the 4 doors and big trunk. If I were you I would try to sell the Ws6 yourself instead of trading, you would probably get more for it. Every once and a while I miss my T Tops but overall much more enjoyable driving it year round
Old 04-05-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I sold my Z28 for a ctsv. Now I'm kicking myself in the *** for not looking at the G8s first. They are SO much bigger then the caddy. ESPECIALLY the back seat holy ****. But I really wanted a manual transmission and GXPs are too expensive for me.

My friend works at a Chevy dealer he said he could only give me 4.5k for the Camaro. Nothing wrong with it just faded paint on the front fender 83k miles great condition. So I sold it myself and got 9500. Just FYI
Old 04-06-2013, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my G8. It it my Toy, sits in the garage probably 28 days out of the month..That's the only sad thing, i don't use it more.. Mostly because it's black and i'm too **** about it getting dirty lol... i am definitely a sick person! The way i look at the "pecking order is:
Corvette
5th Gen Camaro
G8 / CTS-v
low mileage 4th Gen

If you have anything other than what i listed (valued less) then if you can acquire any of the aforementioned above, you're stepping up...just my $.02

Best of luck with your decision, you can't go wrong if you can afford the upgrade (G8 or Cts-v)
Old 04-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Launching!

I think I'm gonna wait until summer to pull the trigger. I want a few more nice rides with ttops off... I think its time, its gonna break my heart, but I can always buy another as a toy later in life. The part that sucks is that I have a ton of parts for the t/a. I kinda want to put them all on( besides the TrickFlow cam and 317 heads) and see if I change me mind...

Last edited by fastbird02; 04-11-2013 at 06:02 PM. Reason: autocorrect

Quick Reply: thinking about trading my 02 ws6 in on 08 g8 gt. thoughts?