Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Cheap Trans Cooler upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Trans Cooler upgrade

Well I have already posted this on the 2 G8 sites, but am going to post it here for anyone who doesn't go there. I purchased the PCMofNC trans cooler when I bought my YankSS3200. I had read numerous people saying it just wasn't big enough for a stalled car. I did like that it was a full kit and half the price of the Lashway kit since I was on a tight budget. I haven't traced the car since I put the stall in, but even with the PCM cooler ( which is just a Derale frame rail cooler) I saw temps hitting close to 200 while in lockup. So, I looked on Amazpn one day and found this cooler:

Amazon.com: ACDelco 12546252 Transmission Oil Auxiliary Cooler Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 12546252 Transmission Oil Auxiliary Cooler Kit: Automotive

Its a kit made for early 90s chevy trucks and Suburbans. After I got advice from a few guys I decided to order it, along with a Derale installation kit. Total for all the parts was like $34 shipped. Fast forward abouty a week. I got the cooler and decided to put it in. I installed it in series with the radiator cooler like before using the lines I had from the PCM cooler. I was concerned about size, but I took someones advice and just mounted it in front of the AC condensor. I currently have it connected using the Steel lines that it came with, but plan on switching to some AN connections for peace of mind.

Now, trans is running cool staying around 160F during normal driving. Definitely worth the $35 bucks. I just wished I had bought it in the first place and saved about $100 bucks. The cooler is manufactured by Long as well.

Here are some pics including what came with the cooler, and how I installed it.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. I actually just got back from a trip to Virginia last week. Car ran great, trans stayed between 150-160 almost the whole time. Got up to about 175-180 in some stop and go in 93 outside temps but that was the worst I saw. Definitely worth the $30 it cost me. A fee other guys on the G8 boards have bought them as well after I posted it with similar results.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

I haw the Lashway Motorsports kit. It based off of my car and my buddies g8.
Yours seems to do the job as well. Nice work.
Even when it's over 100 out here in Florida, temps don't go over 160, but I am stock converter.

Quick Reply: Cheap Trans Cooler upgrade