Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

MotorTrend Chevrolet SS versus Chrysler 300 SRT8

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a fully loaded camaro SS with 4 doors and a massive interior...$45k is about right...
Old 02-25-2014, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And once again the price still beats the SRT and for less $$$...little cash on some bolt ons and your still under 50k and you've surpassed the SRT's preformance in all categories.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

i like the look of the SRT8 but that SS is growing on me, liked it.

seems that most Hemi guys are giant nut swingers. i have a buddy with a charger that claims it can beat everything. i just roll my eyes and just let him sound like an idiot. haha

i dont understand this anger at the SS, clearly a better car.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
It's a fully loaded camaro SS with 4 doors and a massive interior...$45k is about right...

Actually its much more than that. The Chevrolet SS is not just a 4 door Camaro.

Unbeknownst to all but the most ardent of fans, the Chevrolet SS actually sits on a much newer version of the Zeta Chassis, call it Zeta 2 or just VF. Basically, Holden went to work on Zeta to make it lighter and stronger, they changed the composition of various chassis parts to lighter/stronger and more expensive materials. This is as close to a whole new chassis as you can get, short of a clean sheet redesign.

Why did they do this? Well the Zeta chassis (as capable as it is in its current iteration - enough to beat current BMW M5's and AMG E63 dynamically) was initially planned to only last to 2012, then Holden was then supposed to do another totally new chassis. This did not happen when General Motors raided Holden's piggy bank (in order to survive). As a result Holden did not have enough money to make a new chassis, so instead of a brand new chassis, they were left with trying to make the current Zeta (VE) chassis better, hence we got Zeta 2 (VF).

Quick Reply: MotorTrend Chevrolet SS versus Chrysler 300 SRT8