Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Locked out! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Locked out! Help!

My dad has a '09 G8 GT automatic. He's had the recall done where they replaced the switchblade key and ignition cylinder a while back.

This week, he couldn't get the key out of the ignition when in the off position. Turned the steering wheel back and forth, no luck. Even tried bringing the spare key close to the ignition in case it was some security feature.

He locked the car with the fob on the spare set of keys when he was done jacking with it over the weekend. Today, the car battery is dead (they just got back from 2 week vacation, so it hadn't been driven) so can't use the spare remote fob to unlock the car, and the other keys are still stuck in the ignition. Problem is, he can't just use the door key because when they replaced the ignition cylinder and key, the door locks were still 'keyed' to the original key. He swears the dealer didn't give him back the original switchblade key.

Pop-a-lock came out and the guy initially tried to use a rod to push the unlock buttons (hello, dead battery!). After that, he tried to unlock it with a slimjim, failed, and simply left. My dad called pop-a-lock and they said sorry, they can't help.

What are his options? He's close to just breaking the window, but I'm trying to talk him out of that. I'm guessing it can probably be towed to a dealer (even if it is stuck in park), but not sure what they'd be able to do.

Surely these cars aren't that hard for a professional to break into, are they? I've heard Volvo's are a PITA for the pop-a-lock guys, but a 2008 GM??

Old 11-22-2019, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Is there any easier way to get a charger on the car somehow rather than trying to break in? The key stuck in the ignition is a common G8 problem, I think it has something to do with a shifter switch.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello did you ever figure out how to unlock

I have the same problem right now with mine. Only difference I don’t have key stuck but battery is dead. Can’t unlock with fobs or key to key hole.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chriscarp87
I have the same problem right now with mine. Only difference I don’t have key stuck but battery is dead. Can’t unlock with fobs or key to key hole.
It's been a long while, but what I think we ended up doing was jacking up the front end and hooking up the charger to the starter and a ground.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alien:
Carkhz (04-22-2023), pdxmotorhead (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 09:21 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

A good pop a lock guy can use an air bladder to open top of door enough to get his stick in there and grab the door handle. Otherwise for charging a battery pop the drivers side kidney grill out and yank the hood cable.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 153 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Chriscarp87
Can’t unlock with ........ key to key hole.
Why not? Are you sure you are turning the key all the way to unlock? These cars have electric locks at the key hole. When powered, you turn the key one way or another to lock and unlock. It is a gentle turn. When the power is out you just have to turn the key further to engage a mechanical lock and unlock system. Basically, turn the key and when you feel a little resistance, keep turning a little ways further. This is all explained in the owner's manual if you have access to that.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

The G8 has a microswitch on the shifter that disengages the cylinder lock. There's a roll pin that can come out and cause the key to stick. Had it happen...

But yeah, the key does work in the drivers door w/o power - figured that out when I my drivers key was stuck in the ignition, and I pulled the batt ground.

Quick Reply: Locked out! Help!