Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Pontiac G8 Weight and pricing!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 20SS07
Okay let me rephrase. With any options will be over 40 grand. It will be close to it. Look at the Charger R/T vs the SRT 8. Almost 8 grand more. I'd figure it's gonna start at atleast 37k if it has an LS3 in it. A fully loaded GT will end up in the mid 30's.
Yea i guess your prob right, but im sure a base GXP will come pretty well equipped, and i can imagine that most people on here are like me and dont need all the bells and whistles. With that said 37k is alot of damn money, that thing better be in the damn 12's.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The G8 GT upon looking at cars that cost the same, is a bargin, I agree. Check out the Nissan Maxima, Accord V6, and Toyota Avalon, and compare them to the G8 GT.

Still, I wish they were keeping the Grand Prix around, even if they shortened it up a little, like it use to be
Old 10-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Teching In

you know as much as i wish theyd keep the Grand Prix nameplate around, its just too damaged now... but i think pontiac needs a new change of pace, and introducing the G8 is going to do well. a sizable car, RWD V8 WITH a REAL manual transmission is in demand, and i think it will do great actually, cause seeing its competion, like the LX chrysler cars, the ford taurus, and the import sedans, they offer one thing, but youre missing another... its going to be interesting tho, but the cars got great reviews from spectators at the auto shows. i know im getting one, ill be right there when the manual comes out.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

GM isn't just trying to market to people who want to run in the 1/4 mile..this car is a family sedan and is going to really do well for pontiac in my opinion, so who cares if it is heavy..it should be a high quality car, and it very classy looking, definately something pontiac needs in there lineup. If you want a fast car, don't buy a family sedan.. the new G8 is WAY the hell better then the all plastic, crappy, grand prix they have now, thats for sure.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HFLDtA
Lol you have a good point except for the price! No one will pay 30k for 2-year old 2006 GTO's (the ones still on lots). GM is overpricing. I expect the pricing to reflect just as the 04 GTO's did. They started out at 32k, then in the fall, they dropped! Gm is charging too much for there product! Dont get me wrong, ive owned nothing but GM cars. THis is just rediculous.
Maybe you are taking crazy pills. An MSRP of 29,9 for the G8 GT, and you are getting a shitton of options standard. Try pricing out a BMW 5 series and see where you end up. This is a cleanly-styled, rear-wheel drive, four door sport sedan to compete with other luxery car brands. This isn't meant to compete on a Ford Tore-us level, this is meant to compete with the G35s/Acura TLs/BMWs/Lexus IS market. If the quality and build on this car is as good as I think it will be, it is an absolute steal. My dad is getting this as our family car, we've always had Lexuses before.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks go though. lol
Old 10-19-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is an update:
The lone transmission option for both the V6 and V8 2008 models will be a six-speed automatic with paddle shifters. Earlier press information indicated that a manual option for GT cars would be available, but this is not the case. "What we've said — and which is still the case — is that the six-speed manual won't be available at launch," a Pontiac spokesman told Edmunds. "There is no manual option for 2008." It is believed that there will be a manual option for 2009, although GM has yet to confirm if and when a manual will be available.

Curb weight for the V6 model is 3,885 lbs, while the GT weighs just five pounds shy of 4,000. 18-inch wheels come standard, while 19-inch alloys can be ordered with the GT model.

The sedan rides on GM's new Zeta rear-wheel-drive platform, which underpins the 2009 Camaro and possibly the next-generation Impala, in addition to several other planned vehicles.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

The car should be a screamer in my opinion. I mean, it's getting 362HP on regular unleaded fuel. This thing should be good for 40HP on a premium fuel tune. Throw on some basic bolt ons and you should be well into the 400hp range.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WECIV
Why buy this when you can buy a cheaper Charger?

W
There's a huge aftermarket for LSX cars. You can't even get good custom tuning for a Hemi yet. Believe me. I know. I own a Hemi Ram.

The G8 is also better looking than the Charger, IMO.

I don't know why so many people are whining about this car. It's a couple of bolt-ons shy of 400hp. I'd bet a tune alone could get you to the 400hp mark. Nodbody was whining when the CTS-V came out and those things are $50k.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

BTW,

If you pay MSRP for anything, you are retarded.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

The whole "get a Charger it's cheaper" argument is irrelevant cause it's not true. The Charger R/T starts at like 2 grand more.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

The Camaro will be light, you can take my word on that. As for engine choices... there will be a couple options. The G8 IS a family sedan with some muscle to it, NOT a race car guys. Keep that in mind. And yah, 29k starting price for that car is pretty dam good.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think the biggest point about who this car is meant to apeal to is being missed. if you line it up against similarly sized and performance rated vehicles you will see that it is more in line to take sales away from the BMW and MB crowd than worrying about the overweight and overhyped offerings from the otehr domestic brands.
the G8 prices out almost $3k less than an entry level 3 series that offers similar interior space and mileage and less performance. from the pics of the G8 interior i would put it on par with the entry level BMW stuff i have driven. the MB offerings are even more expensive and really have less to offer in the 30-35k price range.
the 300/Charger/Magnum are very heavy, under performing, and over priced for what they have to offer. GM knows it and if you look at the sales of these models you can see that the general public has noticed too.
as far as the weight and performance of the new camaro, i as told previously by people directly involved in the program that we can expect to see cars with similar curb weights to 4th gens. maybe slightly heavier since GM builds all cars to a 5star crash rating now compared to the 4star ratings that the older f-bodies carried. more safety does add a bit more weight, a trade off the average street car owner would be more than willing to live with.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:21 AM
TECH Resident

We are not "average", but I agree with the rest of your points.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

as far as being "average" i agree with you.
i would love to see GM get invovled in offering pure breed performance vehicles again. maybe make 1LE mean something positive again for the next generation camaro or make at least somewht of a stripper performance car available to the public.
right now the only companies that are really engaged in marketing to the performance enthusiasts are mazda and porsche. both companies offer models that you can delete a lot of the weighty features from without having to jump through hoops.
it is not a mass market, but chrysler did spend years shipping thousands of ACR units of the viper and neon, base porsche GT3's outsell optioned models almost 2 to 1, and mazda does not stock but is more than willing to order deleted down 3', 6's and miatas without any real effort other than waiting for it to come in.
GM follows that lead with the performance line up they have built in the last several years and you would see solsitces, camaros, g6's, and many other models dominating race tracks all over the country.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Banned

i am first on the waiting this for new GT G8 at local dealer. dealer called me today. it will be on hes lot March 28th. can't wait to get it. i am glad gm did something good.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:06 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

I can't wait to see the G8's. I think it's a great looking car and will sell well. Boomers are going to be all over this! It has everything a modern sedan should have and it will be fun to drive.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

There you have it folks --- the precedent to the 2009 RWD Impala... Mark my word
Old 10-27-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

I'm also in line for a G8. It's exactly what I want in a DD. Some ***** and can still carry the family around comfortably. If I want to go THAT fast, I'll just drive the Formy.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

as much as i want one i am not going to let myself buy a G8 right away. i know myself and my inability to leave things alone to well. it would turn into another project car with in hours of taking delivery. too many friends that would be too interested in seeing/fitting new parts to it. would be bad to my wallet and my insurance by the time i was done. lol

Quick Reply: Pontiac G8 Weight and pricing!