Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Pontiac G8 Weight and pricing!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I was thinking about selling my camaro to get a G8, but I'm too much about performance than luxury. I should wait for the new Camaro. But I'd love to have this car if I was older and had a family to enjoy as much as possible.

I think it will be a very nice product in its category(the best ), but I'm not ready to be almost taken down by 4 bangers everyday just to get more luxury from a car...still the potential of the engine is great, but I dont buy a car new to get it heavily modified(not enough $$$$)

I think that the unavailable 6 speed manual on this car is another stupid thinking by GM. There will be Accord, BMW, Camry, etc with manual trans and not GM. WHY??? They have it!!! Dont tell me its for the market, they dont know **** about their market cause other brands sell and have manual trans cars.

Just my opinion...
Old 11-01-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HFLDtA
Too heavy-not enough power-too much (slow 1/4). This will sell as good as the GTO! Hope they dont mess the camaro up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdmXNvJvFBI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MY0F9q3AXw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnDhCdrj2sU

Make a more informed comment next time.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
I think that the unavailable 6 speed manual on this car is another stupid thinking by GM.
It will be offered for the 2009 G8.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Veteran

The Pontiac G8 is a four-door muscle car just as the LT1 Impala SS was, and the current Dodge Charger. The next Camaro is this car with a new body and bit of length chopped off of it. I expect it to weigh around 3,600 lbs.

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/...?modelid=20010

Holden is GM's best RWD engineering branch by far. Unless you live your life solely as a drag-racer you will not be disappointed by this car. The handling and general dynamics of it will be breathtaking, as will the quality and attention to details. Expect an extremely rigid and rattle-free structure too. They are going all out on this project.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NJSPDER
as much as i want one i am not going to let myself buy a G8 right away. i know myself and my inability to leave things alone to well. it would turn into another project car with in hours of taking delivery. too many friends that would be too interested in seeing/fitting new parts to it. would be bad to my wallet and my insurance by the time i was done. lol
Project car? Your Fbody has a LID and exhaust...lol.

Anyway, I think the G8 pricing is incredible and should be a hit. In 2009 I'll have to buy a new car and the G8 fits the bill.

Brian
Old 12-08-2007, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

I dunno about you fellas... but this means no 2010 Camaro for me. I would only buy one if it weighed less than my 2000. Unless it had some other hugely significant advantage.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:26 AM
Staging Lane

I believe this car and the market that's it's trying to reach is a great step forward for GM. This car being on the Zeta platform and being a 4 door sport sadan which will have a longer wheel base is just shy of 4000 lbs; so I expect the New Camaro counter-part to be at least 200 lbs lighter. 3800 lbs and the LS3 or a supercharged LS9 varient will be plenty for any new Mustang to handle considering thier power to weight prowess. Mark my words the 2010 Camaro will be worth the wait!! You will be sorry you bought a fake Hemi.

Last edited by Crowe 02'Z28; 12-09-2007 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
I think it will be a very nice product in its category(the best ), but I'm not ready to be almost taken down by 4 bangers everyday just to get more luxury from a car...still the potential of the engine is great, but I dont buy a car new to get it heavily modified(not enough $$$$)
when the **** did 4 bangers start running 13's all the time?

damn ricers
Old 12-09-2007, 05:12 AM
Staging Lane

def if the G8 GT M6 comes out in '09, its on my wish list
Old 12-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Awd??????????????????
Old 12-24-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

What's amazing is that the G8 GT will actually be cheaper than the last GTO.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by -Ross-
BTW,

If you pay MSRP for anything, you are retarded.
I'm not sure if your winking means you're joking or not.

Lol. I'd much rather buy a new car than a used one.

We all have our reasons for buying new or old.

The G8 looks amazing. The pricing and weight is competitive, like everyone else has stated. I, personally, think GM is kicking some a-s and taking names. I would be in line to get one of these if the '10 Camaro wasn't coming out in a little over a year.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:36 AM
On The Tree

Holden is still bailing out GM.
The Camaro will be significantly different. The platform is the same, but these two cars will be day and night. G8s are four door and likely to be at least 500 pounds heavier than the new Camaro. The G8 is so close in styling to the GTO that it is scary. The motor is just begging for upgrades! I could see bolt-on modded cars running 12s at the track. The price is competitive to other cars in the category, styling is contemporary, comfort is good. Should sell well. I still say wait and see until both cars are in showrooms.
Buy used and save money for mods. The demand for both cars should be high initially, that will keep new prices up. But, if they want to compete with the new Challenger, they will have to be throwing dealers money like candy.
Should be fun.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BigPimpinCook
I'm not sure if your winking means you're joking or not.

Lol. I'd much rather buy a new car than a used one.

We all have our reasons for buying new or old.
I think his point is you would be foolish to pay MSRP for any new car. I know I have purchased several (5 that I can think of) and have never paid even close to MSRP. Infact, I do not think i have paid invoice on the last 3-4. The last one I bought I paid invoice less a rebate that was being offered. Of course I have been known to walk on several dealers as well, even one after they let my wife at the time take the car for the weekend. She was sitting there crying while I told the guy i would not pay what he was wanting. We ended up getting the same car with even more options and in the color we really wanted for about $4000.00 less just a few weeks later from a dealer about 45 miles away. While 4K may not sound like much, it was only a 21K car.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BOWTIE
I think his point is you would be foolish to pay MSRP for any new car. I know I have purchased several (5 that I can think of) and have never paid even close to MSRP. Infact, I do not think i have paid invoice on the last 3-4. The last one I bought I paid invoice less a rebate that was being offered. Of course I have been known to walk on several dealers as well, even one after they let my wife at the time take the car for the weekend. She was sitting there crying while I told the guy i would not pay what he was wanting. We ended up getting the same car with even more options and in the color we really wanted for about $4000.00 less just a few weeks later from a dealer about 45 miles away. While 4K may not sound like much, it was only a 21K car.
That is awesome. I'll have to try this at some point, but I've never been in the financial position to buy a new car, until the new Camaro comes out... Hmmm...
Old 12-30-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

and GM hopes you read that a manual option will be available in later years - likely when you purchase?

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I just read there will be no manual transmission offered... Ugh, just when I thought GM knew what they were doing... This is a huge disappointment, I was actually going to buy this car years down the road... I hope your reading this GM...
Old 12-30-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

lol - COME TO CANADA THEN! you will see how UNDER-priced your vehicles are.

How bout you try a 45k Pontiac G6 GXP? As opposed to your 25k fully loaded sticker price..

Originally Posted by HFLDtA
Lol you have a good point except for the price! No one will pay 30k for 2-year old 2006 GTO's (the ones still on lots). GM is overpricing. I expect the pricing to reflect just as the 04 GTO's did. They started out at 32k, then in the fall, they dropped! Gm is charging too much for there product! Dont get me wrong, ive owned nothing but GM cars. THis is just rediculous.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the pricing is perfect for this car. power wise, for the money, nothing better. Plus it looks nice! The interior doesnt look like Rubbermaid made it either. Everyone is crying and complaining about wanting a manuel. Is it really the end of the world? No. 6 spd auto vs a 6 spd manuel, it would be dead even. And most of the time, an auto will beat a stick at the track. It has manuel shift mode, thats good enough.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:31 AM
TECH Addict

Ugh, I was worried about the weight of the G8 and Camaro.

The Camaro should not weight one damn ounce over 3500lbs...
Old 01-16-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

My biggest disappointment is not offering a navigation system...If you're truely trying to gain market share on entry level MB, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti you have to offer a Nav setup. In addition to that, they should offer AWD as the companies above do offer. I know the Southern part of the country could care less about AWD, but us Northerns sometimes make it a sticking point.

Personally I could live without the AWD as the added cost and lower MPG outweigh the problems I run into with snow.

Does anyone know what the MPG will be on the G8, if they can get a 20/28 on the GT and 22/32 on the V6 this thing will be a HR. What about Flex Fuel?

Quick Reply: Pontiac G8 Weight and pricing!