Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Fuel economy info!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Aye I agree on the Arrowheads, its weird on there but I guess they want to say that Pontiac got this car in the states so they are proud of it.

They never really stated that the car would be a gas saver. Its a fun family sedan for the most part. It is suppose to deliver what all the other high end cars do but at a much more reasonable price. Its catering to those owners who want to have a high end ride but just cant afford it. Yea it would be an even more appealing package if it got better MPG but it doesnt.

I personally cant wait for the M6 in either model. It should make it a real blast to drive then but until then we will have to suffer. I just hope it doesnt get the axe too soon.

Again the new EPA ratings are WAY harsher then the past. This car would probably be rated at what you stated 18-20/26-28 if they used the old standards. Basically you WILL get better MPG then stated and be surprised. I cant view any of them because of work blockers but check the Aussie sites and see what the Commodore gets down there and convert it. They get decent MPG for the size of the motor and car.
I know the new EPA is more harsh, when I research vehicles I usually go through the EPA government web site for info. Basically I was hoping for below the hybrid/diesel models and just slightly above the luxury sedan.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byclass.htm
Old 01-16-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Even at all of the classes I looked at the G8 GT is still higher then A LOT of its V8 counterparts. There are even 6 cyl cars that are getting worse MPG then it supposedly will get.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Sure, it is in the middle of the pack. Though I think GM would like to make a big splash with this vehicle.

I think most shoppers will choose the foreign made large sedan with equal MPG over a Pontiac G8. In my opinion GM is losing a **** load of sales to the foreign companies on just brand name alone. So in order to get over the brand name hurdle, you just can't be middle of the pack.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I kind of agree with you on that point. People need to understand that new cars and trucks that are being made my GM are a much highly quality then the past and start to realize that. Stop being blind lemmings and listening to the idiots in the media saying that they are pieces of crap. Apparently them have 4 of the 6 finalists in COTY and TOTY means nothing at all.

What do you suggest people choose then?? GM is already giving you a break in the price with it starting under 30k for a base G8 GT. Any other full size V8 sedan is around 35-36k to start with and it just goes up with the forgein vehicles.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Teching In

What do you expect from a 4000lb car with 370hp. To me the gas mileage is pretty good. Same as a truck almost but alot more comfort and luxory. I will definitly be in line for one.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bballr4567
I kind of agree with you on that point. People need to understand that new cars and trucks that are being made my GM are a much highly quality then the past and start to realize that. Stop being blind lemmings and listening to the idiots in the media saying that they are pieces of crap. Apparently them have 4 of the 6 finalists in COTY and TOTY means nothing at all.

What do you suggest people choose then?? GM is already giving you a break in the price with it starting under 30k for a base G8 GT. Any other full size V8 sedan is around 35-36k to start with and it just goes up with the forgein vehicles.
I think it will be a long recovery for GM to get their name back to being a quility automobile producer. Most likely the same length of time it took the foreign car makers to prove to the Americans that their cars are of superb quality.

I am trying to convince my stepdad to get a Caddy CTS instead of another C-Class. The CTS just offers so much more than a C-Class at basically the same price point.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by adam3566
What do you expect from a 4000lb car with 370hp. To me the gas mileage is pretty good. Same as a truck almost but alot more comfort and luxory. I will definitly be in line for one.
There will be A LOT more V6s sold in the US than V8s, GM had an opportunity to give themselves an edge over the competition by offering a better MPG.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
I think it will be a long recovery for GM to get their name back to being a quility automobile producer. Most likely the same length of time it took the foreign car makers to prove to the Americans that their cars are of superb quality.

I am trying to convince my stepdad to get a Caddy CTS instead of another C-Class. The CTS just offers so much more than a C-Class at basically the same price point.
I agree with them taking time to get the base back but I dont think it will take as much as many people expect. I say 2-3 years MAX. The reason their image was killed is because of rental car fleet sales. People saw the CHEAPEST and worse cars that GM offered and were immediately turned off by them.

The CTS is so good looking. I cant wait to see one in person. I love the look of the old CTS-V and the new one just blows anything out of the water. Its freaking amazing.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

What gearing in the rear end do these things have? Perhaps they should put some 2.73's as an option.

W
Old 01-19-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.holden.com.au/pdf/choosea...ifications.pdf

Just grabbed that off the Holden site. Seems like the auto will have 2.92 rear gears. Interesting for sure.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Junkie

2.92 and gets that **** poor of fuel economy?!

W
Old 01-20-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its got a 6.0 and is a full size 4 door sedan, what more do you want?? You want good MPG and a full size sedan get a V6.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Hmmm...it can do better. Ppl that do not question why things are not better...will never get better items for sale.

W
Old 01-22-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guess it's not bad for what the car is. But it's gonna need better than that in order to stick around for more than a few model years with the new strict CAFE standards. Lutz said this car isn't going to put them where they need to be. They already officially axed any Impala SS built on the zeta platform. By 2012 The Vette is supposed to be puttin out over 100 less horsepower than it is now out of a V8 smaller than 5.0L which will be offsetted by it being 300-400 pounds lighter, but still. Dodge is cancelling use of the Hemi in any future cars so expect the Challenger to only be around a few years. Better grab up these cars while you can. We'll still have some big horsepower cars but large displacement engines are gonna be a thing of the past. We'll be getting our power out of lighter cars with DI turbos and diesels and the like.

Last edited by 20SS07; 01-22-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Default real world consumption

I have a HSV Clubsport R8, is warmed over version of G8, with A6 (so much better than old POS A4)

http://www.hsv.com.au/Cars/

Have done just over 25,000 miles, plenty of city driving, average over the 25,000 miles is 18mpg
Old 01-23-2008, 06:10 AM
TECH Resident

As a comparison, my new 08 legacy gt gets around 18mpg in mixed, easy driving. It's around the same price point as the g8 will be though not necessarily a direct competitor. I wish it had 362hp like the g8 does though. If people will accept a 4 banger getting 18mpg, I think the g8 getting around the same won't really turn people off. Did I mention the g8 also weighs 500lbs more than a legacy? damn subarus.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 20SS07
I guess it's not bad for what the car is. But it's gonna need better than that in order to stick around for more than a few model years with the new strict CAFE standards. Lutz said this car isn't going to put them where they need to be. They already officially axed any Impala SS built on the zeta platform. By 2012 The Vette is supposed to be puttin out over 100 less horsepower than it is now out of a V8 smaller than 5.0L which will be offsetted by it being 300-400 pounds lighter, but still. Dodge is cancelling use of the Hemi in any future cars so expect the Challenger to only be around a few years. Better grab up these cars while you can. We'll still have some big horsepower cars but large displacement engines are gonna be a thing of the past. We'll be getting our power out of lighter cars with DI turbos and diesels and the like.
I read those articles (about the Corvette and about the HEMI) and most of it was speculation. Nobody has OFFICIALLY said the Corvette will shed 300-400lbs and come with a 300hp 4.7L, they said if the Corvette COULD shed that weight they COULD use that kind of motor and keep the performance that they have now. Nobody from Chrysler has OFFICIALLY said they are doing away with the HEMI. Jim Press said ,"the HEMI is not the powertrain of tomorrow, it is the powertrain of today", and there was some speculation about what could replace and/or kill off the HEMI, but nobody (atleast that I know of) has said the HEMI will be gone in three years.

If we are going to sit here and speculate, how about this ............. GM COULD start making V6 Mild Hybrid (priced between the regular V6 and V8) and V8 2-Mode Hybrid (priced above the regular V8) versions of the Zetas (current, coming, and potential) to be sold everywhere Zetas cars are sold. Might not be enough of a market for them in North America alone but as a world product it MIGHT make business sense. MIGHT also push the Impala back onto the Zeta platform and bring the Velite and Firebird back from the dead. I mean if we are going to be speculating.

David
Old 01-23-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

My speculation is a little more realistic than yours. Saying that the Firebird is coming back and saying that the next Vette will have less HP are two completely different things. They have been up in the air for awhile now on what the C7 would be, whether it be a continuation of the front engine RWD platform used now, or a mid engine setup, or a setup built on a smaller platform. The C7 program is basically on hold while they see what kind of transition fuel economy they're going to need. Remember, the new 35mpg requirement isn't until 2020, but between then they're going to have to slowly be transitioning cars into better fuel economy numbers. The fact that GM officials keep pointing out the fact that an LS2 powered Vette that weighs 400 lbs less would perform the same as the current Z06 leads you to believe that's what they're seriously leaning towards now, and it's right in line with what they have to do. Yea, it's speculation, but the new CAFE requirements aren't just a recommendation, so if you think the automakers are gonna continue putting large displacement engines in cars you're greatly mistaken. I'm not saying we're not going to have high HP cars, but the automakers aren't going to be technologically lazy about it anymore by just throwin a big displacement engine in there. Look at the Challenger, it's not even out yet but that car has already been planned to only have a limited production run, so that would be in line with them phasing out the HEMI in a few years. Both the Camaro and Challenger probably won't be around for more than one model run. I know everyone wants to see they're going to put LS7's in Camaros and that they're going to put an LS3 in a G8 for sure. We're lucky we're even getting the G8 period. If it wasn't for the fact that the car has been too far along in development to cancel we wouldn't be getting it at all. At that's been said by GM many times. So you can speculate about bringing a Firebird back, if you don't like my opinion that's fine, I'm just being realistic.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

^^ its sad but you are probably right. All the sweet big power american muscle coming out today and in the next few years will probably be very short lived.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

First of all, I will admit I shouldn't have thrown the Firebird in there, but I obviously didn't mean it seriously. It just happens to be something that is speculated about frequently (even though GM has said it will not be back) and the Camaro is on the Zeta platform, so it fit.

Second of all, I was pointing out that THEY (the people that wrote the articles) were speculating, I said nothing about you. However, I would not have been pointing it out if you had not been talking about THEIR speculation as if it were reality. Do cars have to start getting better gas mileage? Yes. Will cars have to get lighter to do that? Yes. That is truth. Will the 5th gen really be the Camaros' last? Speculation. Will the Corvette shed 400lbs and rip the ZR1 a new one with a direct injected twin turbo 4.8L V8? Speculation. Will GM accidentally create cold fusion while working on hydrogen fuel cells and we will all have super cars that we never have to fill up? Speculation. What is not impossible is possible however improbable, but untill then it is just speculation.

David

Quick Reply: Fuel economy info!!