Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Attack of the Dumbass salesman

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008 | 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blue Meanie
We are, but I am waiting for the hype to die down on the cars so I don't have to hear any more stupidity. I can still work on my wife because the MDX has a too small back seat. She like the Caddy SRX too but I want a car not a truck. We aren't getting another new car until my LS7 is built anyway. Rolling into the dealership in that car should shut up the salesman hopefully.
You would think driving up to a Pontiac dealer in a nice Pontiac would have that effect...but it sure didnt for me. I have been trying to convinve the girlfriend to get rid of her Tiburon and step up to a G8, so we pulled up to the dealer and the salesman says "Looking to upgrade huh? I bet we can get you a great deal on a trade in". I put it as kind as I could saying "I wouldnt be caught dead in a heavy four door and god himself couldnt get me out of my car". I do like the G8 but I just wanted to give him a hard time. He went on trying to sell my girlfriend the car after being told we wont buy a new one. He said, "What if I race your boyfriend here in it and win...then will you buy it?". She said "Hell yes, Id like to see it!" and I was game but I knew he couldnt do it and I was right.

Just baffled me that I knew more about the car from reading a few posts in the G8 section here than the actual salesman.
Old 04-06-2008 | 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Slayn
How can it be slower than a trailblazer?
well i got the heavy 5150 race weight to run 13.71 stock. and have seen a 2wd run 13.51 stock... and have seen 13.80-14.1 times for the g8.... and it just fells a little slower....
Old 04-06-2008 | 03:25 PM
Teching In

Sorry to hear about your fun, with idiots trying to jack up cars. I went to a Pontiac Dealer about about 2 weeks before the G8 arrived here. Though I have considered one, I'm going to wait until the new Camaro comes out. The dealer offered to discount the G8 GT they were getting, (below MSRP) if I wanted it before it arrived. I didn't take him seriously. I do have a written agreement in place with my Chevrolet dealer for the new Camaro that I can purchase it at MSRP when it arrives, no markup. The deal is that I can't sell it for one year with out giving the dealer a chance to buy it back at MSRP first. This is to prevent "speculators" from jacking up the price. They did this when the Z06 first came out, and was being marked-up. Moral of the story, shop around, not all dealers are jacking up the price with what I like to call the "idiot tax"
Old 04-06-2008 | 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

I used to work car sales and I worked with my share of idiots as well, sorry you went thru that, there are some good salespeople.
Old 04-06-2008 | 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

My wife and I looked at one yesterday at a dealership in Elton, MD. They said that they aren't accepting any employee discounts on these cars either. This dealership is selling them at MSRP, but they are adding some $400 Simonize crap on everyone. I was pissed when they said they weren't taking the employee discounts. He said maybe in a year. lmao
Old 04-06-2008 | 06:02 PM
9 Second Club

the local dealership here is getting 3k markup. loaded g8 on the showroom for 34k.
Old 04-06-2008 | 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BoostnTBSS
well i got the heavy 5150 race weight to run 13.71 stock. and have seen a 2wd run 13.51 stock... and have seen 13.80-14.1 times for the g8.... and it just fells a little slower....
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-g8-2008-09-chevrolet-ss-2014/891619-stock-pontiac-g8-gt-13-39-104-7-a.html
Old 04-06-2008 | 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I say try a different dealership. They are like everything else, some are good and some are not. Look web sites such as autotrader, car.com, ebay, ect. The dealers have them listed on there. If you see one priced right give them a call. I usually scout them all out on the web then call them. I bought my vette from a dealer who had it listed on ebay. I called worked all the numbers out on the phone and flew down the next day to drive it home. Easy as pie.
Old 04-06-2008 | 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

A $10K mark up ABOVE sticker!!!!!!!!!!

Good LORD..... even Hank Hill only pays sticker price... and not a dime more!!!!!!!!!!

Btw.......... the Pontiac dealership didn't get blown up... did it????
Old 04-06-2008 | 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Default atco air!!!

and TBSS's down at atco run 13.1 its a perfect air and track..
just drive one and then a TBSS and you will see what i mean.
Old 04-07-2008 | 06:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BoostnTBSS
and TBSS's down at atco run 13.1 its a perfect air and track..
just drive one and then a TBSS and you will see what i mean.
Not stock they don't. Not even 2wd do. I have one and know. I've taken my AWD to Cecil and ran 14.0 @ 99 bone stock. I've heard of 2wd running 13.50 in perfect air and track prep. The times you listed sound more like the Jeep SRT-8.
Old 04-07-2008 | 10:33 AM

i went to cars.com and filled out the quick quote option for about 8 dealerships.. what i was looking for in price, options, etc. then i found remaining ones on pontiac's website and hit them up. i had pushy sob's trying to "wrap up the deal" through email on GT's that were the wrong color and all. i was blown away how someone could be trying to finalize something i was only inquiring about, and at the same time not even paying attention to detail. then i had a few of the markup guys, rambling on about how the 888's are going to be collectors items, they've already sold a bunch, they're disappearing quick, blah, blah, blah. one guy even had the ***** to ask me if i was looking at the right car. a dealership about 40 miles away got back to me and offered me $1100 off (non 888.) right color, right options, good people. weren't pushy in the least bit, never ran the classic selling lines. they just showed me everything and gave me as much info as possible until i finally said "good enough, lets do it." hammer as many dealerships until you find what you need!
Old 04-07-2008 | 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Well, I will post a good dealer experience. I went to a local dealer in Newport News VA that sells Pontiacs and Caddys this weekend. I am looking to buy the G8 GT or a used CTS-V and the dealer happened to have both in stock though the G8 was not a GT. The salesman was friendly and not pushy and he seemed to know his stuff but did not try and overload you with data. We went over to the used car side and got the CTS-V and brought it back and parked it next to the G8 and then the wife and I crawled through both checking them out. It was getting late and starting to rain so I did not get to take either on a test drive, though I would want to drive a G8 GT anyway. I asked about the GT avaliabilty and they have 4 coming in torwards the end of the month. I asked about using my GM supplier discount on the G8 and he said no problem. The price they had listed for the CTS-V was pretty high but it seem like they would come down if I was serious. I am still undecided at this point on which car but my wife likes the G8 better. If the choice is the G8 then this dealer will be getting my business.
Old 04-07-2008 | 03:59 PM
Teching In

Just went to the wrong dealership.....lucky for me i work at a dealer that doesn't mark anything up over sticker! Including the G8 we have here! Black on Black v-6!
Old 04-10-2008 | 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blown00ls1
try a different dealership maybe? the ones around my house aren't bad at all. Actually called a guy on a G8 yesterday, seemed very professional.
Yea man you definitely need to find a different dealership. We have a Black G8 GT that has a MSRP of 32,295 and our You Pay price after any rebates and discounts is 30,599. There are places out there so keep lookin.
Old 04-10-2008 | 11:05 PM

I fail to understand how one "bad experience" at a Pontiac dealer would make you loose interest in the G8. I call BS on this one. If you and your wife were really interested in the car you would find a dealer who was willing to negotiate the price. It sounds to me like the wife won out in the car buying decision, after all it is her car right? Saying that the dealership turned you off is a low blow. She found a vehicle that SHE likes better...end of story.
Old 04-11-2008 | 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by speeddemongto
cant wait to see what the dumbass salesman say when I drive my goat over to look at a G8
Reminds me of the dumbass quote of the year when I went to look at a G8,

me - "does the G8 still have the huge key the GTO had"
pulls key out of pocket.

Him, "no, the key is different from all other pontiacs, it was made in australia and brought over"

me - "kinda like the gto"

him - "no"

me - leaves....

Ryan
Old 04-11-2008 | 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

lol

10K mark up? way to stimulate our stellar economy!

bastards. i have a million retarded dealership stories, but they **** me off too much to re-tell.
Old 04-12-2008 | 08:37 AM
TECH Regular

i love my wife, but would never let her control what i buy. If i want a G8 but had to wait, i would. I wouldnt settle for an SUV that i disliked, but thats just me. Gotta stop taking the wife to the dealership, trust me i learned my lesson on that one a few times.
Originally Posted by Blue Meanie
I went to look at a white G8 (first 888) today with the wife. The last time I went to the Pontiac dealership with her was to buy a new GTO when they came out. It was a bad experience, with ridiculous markup on all the cars and the salesman constantly spouting how hot the GTO is! Of course their total lack of any real knowledge about the cars doesn't help, I hate when they read their bullet points to me like they are telling me something. As someone who used to train people in sales I will never understand why car salesman are generally the worst salesman I ever speak to. I ended up walking out of there and buying a TL for my wife instead . 3 months later they were begging me to come in for a test drive for their GTOs rotting on the lot.

Flash forward to today, we go to look at the G8. A hard sell on the wife, interior is a step down and she wants to go up, but it is sweet for the money with a big back seat. I want this car not her, but I am slowly getting her on board. We look at this white car with black interior, she is liking it. I tell the first salesman that I am here looking but I won't be buying until they sell for sticker and I am willing to wait. He goes and gets the floor manager and my wife looks at the window sticker and says "there is a 10 grand markup". I say, "don't worry its for the first 888, in a few months they will start to sell for sticker and we will look then". The floor manager leaning on the car decides to chime in and shakes his head no with this smug look on his face, and says "this car is hot as it gets, its gonna be a looong time till they sell for sticker." My wife stares at him blank and says "just like the GTO huh, well I guess thats that, lets go" and she leaves with our daughter in tow. All I could do is mouth "you're a moron" and go.

We hit the Acura dealership and what do you know, my wife loves the MDX and the salesman were as nice as you get. They actually would wait for me to talk and respond exactly how you should. So now I am looking at a much larger payment for a truck I don't really like just because a dealership keeps pissing her off. I do not question why GM is dying a slow death, their dealerships are unbelievably stupid.
Old 04-12-2008 | 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

She doesn't control what I buy. This is the replacement for her car. I was just trying to convince her to get a G8 rather than an SUV. I get my 427 and fun stuff, she gets her car. It would be great if her car was a car I actually liked. Now she is looking at an MDX and a SRX, I am going to take her in a few months to test drive the car when I go down to south florida for a week.

Quick Reply: Attack of the Dumbass salesman