Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a former Firehawk owner i am quite frustrated with this decision. "Firehawk" as of right now breeds fear and understanding of power in the minds of those who know what it is......what "IT" is, is a standalone special edition FIREBIRD that was made to lay the smack down on anything in its path. Taking the "Firehawk" name and putting it on anything other than a firebird is like adding "type R" stickers to a honda, while the badge rightfully belongs to a very beastly vehicle, its now synonomos with 125 hp of vtec ricers. please dont do that to the enthusiasts here.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

This is how it should stay.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:46 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What's next, a pontiac solstice firehawk?

I understand that it's just a business to SLP, and since they have the little (R) next to Firehawk, they feel oblidged to stick it on anything they can.

More power to you guys. To bad you couldn't have gotten the rights to SS, but then again GM has whored out that monicor.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

I don't see what they really gain by calling it a Firehawk instead of something else. It would still sell the same and you wouldn't have a bunch of pissed off GM enthusiasts
Old 09-22-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DGEN411
I don't see what they really gain by calling it a Firehawk instead of something else. It would still sell the same and you wouldn't have a bunch of pissed off GM enthusiasts
They are hoping people will buy the car based off the name. There is no other way to spin it. They are purely playing off the fact that firehawk has performance history. The only problem with that is, you can't offer to sell a v6 firehawk and expect 'enthusiasts' to even think twice that the brand is now a joke.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

As said in every response, no one objects to you modifying the G8, but to use the name that rightly belongs on a vehicle that is no longer, is basterdizing the nameplate. If you guys truly are not creative enough to come up with an original name, then maybe you guys shouldn't be in the performance market.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:12 AM
11 Second Club

SLP: I respect what you are saying and doing, but I disagree with the use of the "firehawk" nameplate on the G8. As a former owner of 7 firebirds over the years, I cannot see where there is any connection to the G8 and the Firehawk whatsoever other than your ownership of the firehawk nameplate. The G8 is a totally seperate vehicle from the firebirds of past years and should you do a G8 varient, it should have it's own SLP moniker, something new and suitable for the G8, not a resurrection of one of the firebird/trans am's most favored and powerful names.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
They are hoping people will buy the car based off the name. There is no other way to spin it. They are purely playing off the fact that firehawk has performance history.

Exactly. It's a half assed attempt to get more parts sells. I used to be a SLP fan when I first got into the f-body scene, then I found this site & all the other parts offered at better pricing from different vendors & have never bought from them again since.

But when I was a no internet using, magazine reader I was all about the hype. Which I believe is the "real" crowd they are targeting no matter what they want to say on this board.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Teching In

I see it as an upgrade over the 4th gen hawk. Hopefully the poor SLP quality doesn't shine through in the crappy flaking wheels, and hood paintjobs with this one. I cant say I ever saw what was so special about 4th gen hawks anyway.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
Yes, but the rants will not change anything - it's a done deal.

Regards,

David
I don't own a Firehawk....yet.Thats a pretty sad deal if you ask me.I don't think you'll dilute the name ,just ruin it.All the threads I've read so far have been negative,on this forum and others.Hell I came across this from another muscle car forum.You might want to rethink your "done deal".
Old 09-22-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes this may be an issue that upsets a few enthusiasts, but if this is such a "BAD" idea, then why does the general public like the following cars??

Base V6 Dodge Charger???

Dodge Charger RT???

Dodge Charger Datona???

Dodge Charger SRT8???

These cars SELL . . . it is inevitable that someone would do the same thin to a GM product.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When I think Firehawk I think of the Firebird based cars. G8 "Firehawk" just seems silly to me. With easily 20 other names they could've put on this car they put Firehawk badging on there. Why not GTO? Why not LeMans? Why not GTP or GTX like the 97-03 GP's? Why not even Silver Streak? Even worse is that it uses the exact font from the Firebird days. What's next the G6 Trans Am? Or Torrent Firebird? Even though I do like the Firebird Firehawks maybe people just have to realize that while the Firehawk was unique in the fact that they had their own exterior styling and there were not many produced and that it was otherwise just badging as SLP is proving here.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow that is .......but then again why not GM, since everything is a SS nowadays
Old 09-22-2008, 11:48 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's what I don't understand. I can understand how they came up with firehawk to begin with. You take a firebird, and then associate it with a more aggresive bird to get fire 'hawk'. I'm sure other names were thrown out there such as Fireeagle, Firetalon, Firechicken, Firerooster, but Firehawk stuck.

I guess coming up with a more aggresive sounding G8 is a tough thing.

But in reality, the only people who knew about Firehawks were those in the f-body enthusist market. People on the street didn't know what a Firehawk was. So now SLP is hoping that the people who were in their 20's maybe 30's when they bought or wanted a Firebird Firehawk now have kids or need a 4-door sedan and they'll be pulled into buying a New Firehawk.

It's marketing plain and simple, but sad none the less.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the car but like most have said I don't think the Firehawk name should be used. But since its a done deal this opinion won't mean a lot. Good luck SLP.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist

More power to you guys. To bad you couldn't have gotten the rights to SS, but then again GM has whored out that monicor.
GM has whored it out appropriately. The SS is the upper tier performer - at least since 2002. LOL!

No reason why a Firehawk won't mean the same, it'll just be more than putting the big V8 between the fenders like GM has done w/ the SS - 'cept for the Cobalt and HHR of course. It's all name recognition as was stated before.

I'm more interested to know what their, as in SLP's, interest in the 5th gen Camaro will be.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Yes this may be an issue that upsets a few enthusiasts, but if this is such a "BAD" idea, then why does the general public like the following cars??

Base V6 Dodge Charger???

Dodge Charger RT???

Dodge Charger Datona???

Dodge Charger SRT8???

These cars SELL . . . it is inevitable that someone would do the same thin to a GM product.
But GM already has done this without SLP.

Pontiac G8 V6

Pontiac G8 GT

Pontiac G8 GXP

And now add to it:

Pontiac G8 v6 Firehawk

Pontiac G8 GT Firehawk

Pontiac G8 GT Firehawk SC

It would be different if there was a major aftermarket company, like SLP, branding the charger something it clearly isn't. I guess it would be like putting SS badges on a charger. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

Last edited by phantomzer0; 09-22-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:55 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Base V6 Dodge Charger???

Dodge Charger RT???

Dodge Charger Datona???

Dodge Charger SRT8???

They didn't care at that point. When was the last time Dodge gave their owners anything great? 80's and 90's were dry unless you could afford a Viper.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Base V6 Dodge Charger???

Dodge Charger RT???

Dodge Charger Datona???

Dodge Charger SRT8???

because like u said, its gonna make the enthusiats upset, most of the people who buy those cars are not, they buy them cause they like them, thats why they sell
Old 09-22-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Marketing. I see Dave's point since they want to "keep" the name alive because the TA/Formula will never return.

Just keep the car tasteful guys. I wish you could do more with the Grand-Am front though. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss