Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss - Page 4 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion



Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-22-2008, 12:17 PM   #61
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
BigBronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 10,590
Default

Once again, I am interested to see how this car runs it course David. Best of Luck as I would love to pick up the supercharged edition later on. Should be a VERY fun car.

-Gray

Last edited by Xsta Z 28; 09-22-2008 at 12:54 PM.
BigBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:26 PM   #62
LS1TECH Sponsor
iTrader: (2)
 
David Hamburger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Toms River, NJ
Posts: 245
Default

Thank you - it is a fun car and I look forward to bringing one to the next large gathering next spring. I'm hoping I can get some specs posted in the next 30 days.


Regards,


David
David Hamburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #63
12 Second Club
iTrader: (4)
 
ws6on19s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: woodbury,ct
Posts: 302
Default

Come on SLP put a little more thought into this one, I'm sure there is something better then firehawk, my guess is they still had a ton of stickers left over and why not use them!
ws6on19s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #64
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
jmurray87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,894
Default

The idea of the car is great, But im just not happy with the name firehawk going on it....but we shall see I guess...

Does SLP have any plans for the 5th Gen Camaro?
jmurray87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #65
Banned
iTrader: (92)
 
~JOSHUA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,759
Thumbs down

As a former Firehawk owner (I will own another 4th gen Firehawk someday,)

I consider this news of badging the G8 with Firehawk decals a horrible disgrace to the name. I'm actually angry to the point of having to quell feelings of violence I'm so upset!!

SLP is going to alienate itself from all the people that still have respect for what the company did for the f-body... and for what?

I've just now begun to HATE SLP.
~JOSHUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #66
Teching In
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Lemont, Il
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro View Post
Does SLP have any plans for the 5th Gen Camaro?
Yeah, they are coming out with a Firehawk version. Their "market research" told them it was a good idea and they would get a lot of brand recognition in their target demographic. For those of you wondering, that target demographic is people who have no F&%$ing idea what a Firehawk is.
88blkiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:48 PM   #67
Staging Lane
 
Mike01Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 68
Default

Wow.. your marketing group blows fat chunks... congrats.
Mike01Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #68
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Xsta Z 28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 12,094
Default

A Firehawk is a tire . . . a tire made by Firestone and it can go on any car it fits . . .
Xsta Z 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #69
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Xsta Z 28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 12,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1charged View Post
because like u said, its gonna make the enthusiats upset,
Which unfortuantely is the MINORITY of the purchasing public . . . so:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1charged View Post
most of the people who buy those cars are not, they buy them cause they like them, thats why they sell
And thus why a car needs to be marketed to the general public, and not to the enthusiast.
Xsta Z 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #70
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
Z Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,552
Default

They are cashing in on the notoriety of the name. We may not agree with it, but for them it is smart business. It does feel a bit misleading to the consumer though. As previously stated, the target market for these cars is, well, us. And if word spreads about a new "Firehawk" hitting showroom floors, I think a lot of people will be disappointed as to what they see sitting there as a "Firehawk."

Personally, I think the name should hold meaning with the Firebirds, just as a Calloway is a Corvette. This has become pretty common though as of late. Look at the over-use of SS, SRT8, Denali, etc. They are cashing in on a niche, and hoping to corrolate the name "Firehawk" more towards being a performance package, and not just a special edition Firebird. I'll be curious to see how this plays out.
Z Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #71
Launching!
iTrader: (1)
 
CaribooLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 201
Default

You are just taking a name that was unique and meant for one car, and turning it into a generic "performance badge." It would be like having a colbalt z06. The firehawk should stay unique. It really saddens me that because you wont take the time to be just a little creative. Honestly "G8 Firehawk" sounds stupid when you say it. "G8 Judge" sounds better but that would take away from the GTO's heritage and plus you don't own the rights to it.

I understand why you didn't do any market research here because many of us have bigger dreams than we do wallets, but regardless of income we all have close to identical feelings about the f-bodies, especially the rarer ones.

I know its set in stone, and you could really care less what we think, hey everybody has to pay the mortgage right?

I wouldn't be surprised to see GM go belly up in a few years if the economy gets worse, they are already stopping production of the Corvette for a week, which has been a recession proof car since 1953 (except 1983 of course when they were between models). My bet is that hardly any of these will sell. Right now most of the general public is not looking for a big-*** American sedan, with a big-*** engine, and a big-*** gas guzzler tax. Oh, and a v6 "Firehawk" is an abomination plain and simple.

Only a few of these cars will be sold then the project will be written off as a complete failure. They won't become desirable later down the road, its just a G8 with ugly wheels and a badge that used to mean something. Then the Firehawk name will finally die.

SLP, if you want to become known and respected for taking factory cars and making a respectable "performance" version, look at GMMG. Cars are produced in low numbers, each version is an original idea with an original name, and they go fast too. After the short production run, the project is stopped and erased so nothing remains but the cars themselves. No parts, no plans, nothing. They know how to make a special car which is something I thought you could have done.

Oh, and leave your stupid loud, **** sounding exhaust off of it, its a family car remember?

Last edited by CaribooLou; 09-22-2008 at 01:06 PM.
CaribooLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #72
Teching In
 
Myka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 20
Default

I thought SLP was going out of business. I know I heard something about a year ago and then I didn't hear anything from them at all. Guess not. I know I'll just be adding to all the comments but let me give mine. The car is ugly. Mainly, the wheels. I also agree with everyone about where the name belongs and putting it on a V6 is very strange. The problem with relying on the hype is that the internet forums, such as this one, have become MUCH more popular since the last generation Firehawk. So, your problem becomes much more informed "kids". Your argument about older people that want a fast car without having to modify it is a pretty good one but you have to consider that those people want a certain amount of social status to go along with that. So, they will probably go with something like a BMW. If I was 40 with, god forbid, children I know I would not be looking at a G8 Firehawk.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #73
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (12)
 
Y2KFirehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saucon Valley, PA
Posts: 682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hamburger View Post
...I look forward to bringing one to the next large gathering next spring....
Just don't park it near the real Firehawks with two doors.....
Y2KFirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:21 PM   #74
Teching In
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Lemont, Il
Posts: 14
Default

I think I found a solution to all this mess. SLP can call it what they plan on calling it but just spell it in a slightly different way. Instead of Firehawk spell it Firehock. Seems infinantly more appropriate to me.
88blkiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:22 PM   #75
TECH Junkie
 
slick1851's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: CHITOWN
Posts: 3,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribooLou View Post
You are just taking a name that was unique and meant for one car, and turning it into a generic "performance badge." It would be like having a colbalt z06. The firehawk should stay unique. It really saddens me that because you wont take the time to be just a little creative. Honestly "G8 Firehawk" sounds stupid when you say it. "G8 Judge" sounds better but that would take away from the GTO's heritage and plus you don't own the rights to it.

I understand why you didn't do any market research here because many of us have bigger dreams than we do wallets, but regardless of income we all have close to identical feelings about the f-bodies, especially the rarer ones.

I know its set in stone, and you could really care less what we think, hey everybody has to pay the mortgage right?

I wouldn't be surprised to see GM go belly up in a few years if the economy gets worse, they are already stopping production of the Corvette for a week, which has been a recession proof car since 1953 (except 1983 of course when they were between models). My bet is that hardly any of these will sell. Right now most of the general public is not looking for a big-*** American sedan, with a big-*** engine, and a big-*** gas guzzler tax. Oh, and a v6 "Firehawk" is an abomination plain and simple.

Only a few of these cars will be sold then the project will be written off as a complete failure. They won't become desirable later down the road, its just a G8 with ugly wheels and a badge that used to mean something. Then the Firehawk name will finally die.

SLP, if you want to become known and respected for taking factory cars and making a respectable "performance" version, look at GMMG. Cars are produced in low numbers, each version is an original idea with an original name, and they go fast too. After the short production run, the project is stopped and erased so nothing remains but the cars themselves. No parts, no plans, nothing. They know how to make a special car which is something I thought you could have done.

Oh, and leave your stupid loud, **** sounding exhaust off of it, its a family car remember?

What about when they used the shelby name? Wait thats still going on...

In the late 70s and early 80s they came out with all these sport compacts with his name on them to get them to sell. But that didnt work to good either.....

Dodge made a sad attemp at using the word R/T in the 90s and that didnt work either until they build a decent cars recently that had real perrformance.

What about during the late 70s they built very crappy muscle cars and just added more stickers to make them cool. Companys only do that when they are ready to close the doors and are clawing at making money.


HSV is the only real people involed with GM and true blooded muscle cars
slick1851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:22 PM   #76
It's not mine! woo hoo!
iTrader: (7)
 
demonspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 7,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Fury View Post
...just as a Calloway is a Corvette.
Callaway modified Camaros as well.

Anyway...

This is already on the GTO forums http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267916 . As guessed, the enthusiast owners think it's crazy, and the "others" could care less what it is called. This means that they don't associate anything to "Firehawk" and just see it as the top G8 - which could be called anything instead of Firehawk.
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #77
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Xsta Z 28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 12,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1851
Thanks for deleting my posts about GM and SLP
And they will continue to be deleted if you cannot express yourself maturely.
Xsta Z 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #78
Launching!
iTrader: (1)
 
brandotron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hamburger View Post
So a 2 door Supercharged Firehawk based off of the GXP is not a real Firehawk?


-Dave
Correct.

The dilution of the Firehawk name is truly a shame. Way to go for the quick buck, SLP.
brandotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #79
10 Second Club
iTrader: (20)
 
ezzlez28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hamburger View Post
So a 2 door Supercharged Firehawk based off of the GXP is not a real Firehawk?


-Dave
Sorry Dave, but I do not believe there is a G8 coupe, GXP or otherwise. You do know that the GXP is also a sedan, don't you?
ezzlez28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #80
12 Second Club
iTrader: (116)
 
BIG_MIKE2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Skiatook, OK
Posts: 5,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hamburger View Post
So a 2 door Supercharged Firehawk based off of the GXP is not a real Firehawk?


-Dave
Nope. Sorry.

You guys can use whatever marketing statistics you want to try & validate this pathetic idea, but the people in the inner circles across the country who loves these cars will always look at it like a bastard child with a stolen name.

Your creativity is severly lacking on this one & it's painfully obvious. Like I stated already, this is just as bad as GM slapping "SS" on everything to get sales. I understand the concept but I hate sell-outs. Which is clear this is.
BIG_MIKE2005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro SS | Firehawk | Comp T/A Production/Build Numbers David Hamburger Special Edition Vehicles 173 02-12-2016 10:54 PM
2000 10th Anniversary Firehawk Pilot 1 of 5 built Shrapnel270 Vehicle Classifieds 0 08-04-2015 09:24 PM
OEM 1996-1997 Camaro SS Rear Spoilers $149.95 plus s/h! David Hamburger Sponsor Sales & Specials 17 11-04-2013 04:28 PM
[GA] 2001 Pontiac Firehawk 10th Anniversary Edition - A4 compta95 Vehicle Classifieds 23 10-15-2012 10:01 AM


Tags
1994, 2001, firebird, firehawk, font, g8, gt, hamburger, hood, industries, ls1tech, pontiac, slp, stripes, trans, white

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: