Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Does the GTO sound different than other LS1 cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 01:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does the GTO sound different than other LS1 cars?

There are the soundclips of the new GTO idiling and revving. Pontiac claims it hsa a unique sound to it, but I can't hear a difference between the GTO and any other LS1. I don't own a LS1 car so maybe I don't know since I don't own one.

Has anyone heard these sound clips and if so, is there a big difference in exhaust note compared to F-Bodies and Corvettes.

Nick
Old 09-25-2003, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Does the GTO sound different than other LS1 cars?

I heard the sound clips but it's hard to tell unless you hear it in person. I think the jury will be out until we see and hear the new Goats in person.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

i have heard the car rev and run kinda hard. It sounds a little different. I dont think its just because of the true duals but it has a real hollow sound. I like it but they are rated at 350HP and running a 13.5 :/. I hope they have changed since last I have heard. I also heard that they will give this body a couple years then improve it alot, they just wanted to get the car out but what do i know, I own a Trans Am...not a GTO.

Scott
Old 10-10-2003, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are many things on an engine that will make one sound different from another. Those would be cam profiles, compression ratios, firing orders, even tuning. Outside of the motor, headers, cats, mufflers, resonators, etc, etc all will change the sound some.

The only internal difference between the GTO's LS1 and the LS1 installed elsewhere (Note: Not talking LS6) I beleive is the cam. A slightly different lift, duration and lobe centerlines will change some of the sound. However, Pontiac has chosen specifically to do their tuning of the GTO's sound in the exhaust system. Most LS1's have a crisp, precise sound to them which primarily has a lot to do with the cam profile. The GTO's LS1 and what Pontiac's engineers did was to make it sound more like a 65 GTO with a 389. Therefore it'll have a more hollow, hearty and possibly deeper tenure to it to match the bigger Pontiac Big Block sound.

I think the GTO's sound is a happy medium of the crisp/preciseness of the LS1 in general with a little "meatiness" added to it via the exhaust tuning.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

the car will have true duals will should make it sound throatier.i liked what i heard on pontiacs site and i think this is going to be a great car.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

From what I heard on tv of the car, it sounds more like the Zo6
Old 01-18-2004, 05:27 PM
Banned

Thats only TV .... I was dissapointed with the exhaust on mine. We will have to do something about that now I suppose