Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Cooling Problems On My 06 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling Problems On My 06 GTO

I just changed the thermostat on my GTO and it now overheats. The thermostat was just sticking before. I drained the fluid out of the radiator, changed the thermostat, put fluid back in, started up, and it started getting hot right off the bat. I went on the search forum to look, and it seems I have air in the line, so I took off the radiator cap, let the car heat up, let fluid overflow for just a second, put the cap back on and still have the same problem. I also tried squeezing the top tube with the cap of to try to force some fluid through, but the hose was pretty firm. I have heard of a burping valve, but dont know the location.
Could anybody give me some suggestions of what to do and where the burping valve might be.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Teching In

can the new thermostat be facing the wrong direction? same type of fluid?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Teching In

I used the same fluid because every year at this time of year the thermostat in the car goes out, and I have had the engine coolant flushed twice. I dont think I have the therostat in backwards, but you make an excellent point. I can tell you that the gasket notch is in the right spot, and if you look at the thermostat the longer end with the springs are facing towards and are inside the motor.

Quick Reply: Cooling Problems On My 06 GTO