Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Prop's To the Goat!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The braking comment I made was due to the fact that the stock OEM brakes are notorious for warping. And yes, mine are warped like crazy. Is it because I've ran my car at the track a few times? I'm sure it didn't help. But I know I have friends that take their cars to the track and don't have near my problems.

And my suspension comment. Everyone knows that at about 20-30k miles, the stock suspension starts to take a dump. My car now looks like it's lowered in the rear when it's not. It's the stock rear springs that are sagging. My radius rod bushings are shot too and it's causing my struts to rubs my tires.

I'm not totally ******* the GTO. There are many more positives about the car than these 2 negatives. Hopefully by the end of this year I'll be fully pedderized and dba'd. Then I won't have anything to bitch about. LOL
Old 01-26-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bonestock!
Whats with all this shitty brakes and suspension? I am coming from a '05 Evo (arguably one of the best handling 4drs made) and I find my GTO handles well and rides great. I was really surprised how nicely weighted the steering is and how well the car rides yet handles well too.
Brakes seem about what I'd expect from the General but it IS a 3800lb car after all! Its going to be hard on the brakes period. I do find they stop the car well but I have never punished them like the Brembo's on my Evo when I took it around the Nurburgring.

As always YMMV.
Because people expect the GTO to handle like an Enzo stock but with a price tag that barely hits 30k new. I agree with you. It's not on the level w/an EVO or but it's not horrible. It handles better than a lot of cars. Plus it wasn't trageted towards ultimate handling around corners. It's a muscle car, and for a muscle car, it handles well.

My car is an 04, warped rotors are common, but easy fix for 04's since rotors are pretty cheap.

As far as suspension, I've had no issues at all with bushings failing or springs sagging. This is in a full weight auto too.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:33 AM
12 Second Club

Never once did I say it handled like **** or I expected it "to handle like an enzo." IMHO it handles great for a 3700+lb car.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

I heard different things about how/why the stock suspension *may* fail.. is there a way to tell before you buy one? Some sign that shows they may fail on you?

I am possibly in the market for a GTO, is why I ask lol
Old 01-27-2009, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

It handled well, but not great. However with my Pedders and new disks and pad, the car is exponentially more fun to throw around. Twin turbo's don't hurt either.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:03 AM
Staging Lane

I sold my T/A and bought an 06 GTO M6. I have received more compliments on my GTO in 6 months of ownership than I did with 4 years of owning my T/A. The difference between the two is night and day favoring the GTO in every aspect.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I miss the interior of my old goat, too bad it was a lemon and gm had to buy it back.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Launching!

i wouldnt trade mine for anything...i love the color, is comfy for everyone and its got good power...little heavier than a f-body but not much.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Get pedders stage 2 and the brakes and suspension are a world of difference
Old 02-23-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bonestock!
Whats with all this shitty brakes and suspension? I am coming from a '05 Evo (arguably one of the best handling 4drs made) and I find my GTO handles well and rides great. I was really surprised how nicely weighted the steering is and how well the car rides yet handles well too.
Brakes seem about what I'd expect from the General but it IS a 3800lb car after all! Its going to be hard on the brakes period. I do find they stop the car well but I have never punished them like the Brembo's on my Evo when I took it around the Nurburgring.

As always YMMV.
Same here. I came from an 05 STI and I don't see anything wrong with the brakes and suspension. I think they are great for the type of car.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Phantom_LS2
The braking comment I made was due to the fact that the stock OEM brakes are notorious for warping. And yes, mine are warped like crazy. Is it because I've ran my car at the track a few times? I'm sure it didn't help. But I know I have friends that take their cars to the track and don't have near my problems.

And my suspension comment. Everyone knows that at about 20-30k miles, the stock suspension starts to take a dump. My car now looks like it's lowered in the rear when it's not. It's the stock rear springs that are sagging. My radius rod bushings are shot too and it's causing my struts to rubs my tires.

I'm not totally ******* the GTO. There are many more positives about the car than these 2 negatives. Hopefully by the end of this year I'll be fully pedderized and dba'd. Then I won't have anything to bitch about. LOL

Got mine with only 2000 miles on it. I've done countless 140+mph stops and my brakes are fine. I think it's how you're stopping. If you hold the brakes firmly for any constant length of time from tripple digits it will warp rotors on any car. You have to pulsate them. Hold for a couple seconds firmly and then release, repeat. That allows the gases to escape.

Most importantly I don't drive through water after a hard stop, do hard stops in the rain, or wash my car after driving the car.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

I'll chime in about my love for my 04 LS1. I don't have a single complaint about my baby except that the rotors warped and my pass. side spring is 1/2" lower than the other.
But I have already accumulated my DBA 4000 rotors + Hawk ceramic pads for all around.
Shy of new rear springs, a pedders suspension upgrade will follow.

Regrets = Getting an A4 instead of a M6 (wifey was considered) but my handheld Predator took care of the torque mgnt. and unleashed some more of the LS1's power.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Jedi Master

They're great cars as long as you don't want to drag or autox them.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bonestock!
yeah i think its a case of "i read it on the internet so it must be true". Monkey see monkey do.
+1...
Old 03-13-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Owning both a Z28 and a GTO... it is a hard decision. I love my Z... even though it is just an LT1; I love the seat-of-your-pants feeling that car gives me. My GTO is fun, it feels more luxurious, I like them for different reasons.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ls2GtoFtw
I love mine!

The best thing is, your going fast in so much comfort from the seats. =]
this
Old 03-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Teching In

I have both an lt1 formy and an 06 GTO. i get depressed sometimes when i think about how i neglect my formy.
its two completely different cars. the Formula has a bunch of aftermarket suspension parts on it, so it corners well, but it has a somewhat rough ride. the gto is just all out powerful, plus it doesn't do too bad in the corners either. plus its so plush i could live in it.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by svede1212
it's good to hear of some fellow LSx love. i remember when i first got mine almost 5 years ago and listened to all the hate and BS from the F-body crowd (which i had come from). to know the goat is to love it
Ive owned 6 F-Bodies (currently an 01 SS M6) and will be picking up an 05 QuickSilver M6 Goat tomorrow. Anything thats LSX powered from the General deserves some love!!
Old 03-25-2009, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Got1Goat
I'll chime in about my love for my 04 LS1. I don't have a single complaint about my baby except that the rotors warped and my pass. side spring is 1/2" lower than the other.
But I have already accumulated my DBA 4000 rotors + Hawk ceramic pads for all around.
Shy of new rear springs, a pedders suspension upgrade will follow.

Regrets = Getting an A4 instead of a M6 (wifey was considered) but my handheld Predator took care of the torque mgnt. and unleashed some more of the LS1's power.
I have an 04. My only bitch was the brakes but after doing Baer rotors and Hawk pads no warping and stops great. Many 11 second passes and is still tight as new. Great car!!!

Quick Reply: Prop's To the Goat!