Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Fucking pontiac GTO... problem with water leak flooding car

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankfully I never had this issue or the myriad of others that seem to plague other GTOs.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:30 PM
math > me

I also have this problem. And the airbags fault message when I start the car due to the water leak :/ No fun.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JRL1194
Buy a Camry if you want no problems

lol funny
Old 03-24-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

yeah, i got the airbag eror as well. its the water flooding.... it f-es up the airbag sensor.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

I had the same problem pop up on mine. I followed the ls1gto thread you spoke of and it fixed it, for a while. Then I pulled one of the body plugs in the fender well. Water poured out, not the trickle that comes out from the rocker mounting bolts. I'm going to screw a flap over the plug to let water out but hopefully keep stuff out. So far it’s been 4 months of rain and snow without any issues. Hope this helps.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

I know I claim that every problem that I read about comes my way but in reality, it doesn't. Well, except for the pass doorlock actuator that went gimp and then fixed itself and the phantom horn honking @ 4 times a year. Our cars do have some weird quirks about them but I love mine unconditionally.
Since the advent of the internet and the car forums that followed, we get to learn about our cars and the problems that they develop. We also have a wealth of information from members who encounter such problems and pass along the fix/remedy to his/her co-members. God bless the internet.
Sorry for jacking.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Teching In

the holes i origionally speak of where the water gets in.........take your fingers and wrap them around the wheel lip in the rear wheelwell......feel down towards the front of the wheelwell and you will feel an area that slightly bulges out......there should be a pencil eracer sized hole at the top of that bulge and that is the little bugger causing so many this issue.........everyone seems to go for the plug located at the center fron of the rear wheelwell......wrong hole!!!! this one is on the wheel lip where you would roll the rear wheelwell for tires but down on the front side.........

someone needs to find this hole and get a good pic......but they would have to take the wheel off the car to get the right angle to see it...
Old 03-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GTO KROH
the holes i origionally speak of where the water gets in.........take your fingers and wrap them around the wheel lip in the rear wheelwell......feel down towards the front of the wheelwell and you will feel an area that slightly bulges out......there should be a pencil eracer sized hole at the top of that bulge and that is the little bugger causing so many this issue.........everyone seems to go for the plug located at the center fron of the rear wheelwell......wrong hole!!!! this one is on the wheel lip where you would roll the rear wheelwell for tires but down on the front side.........

someone needs to find this hole and get a good pic......but they would have to take the wheel off the car to get the right angle to see it...
Thanks for that info Kroh. Appreciate it.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Could this spot possibly be covered up by rolling the fenderwells? I can't seem to find it on mine. Pics would be a great help.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had this problem towards the end of last year. My car had been doing it for awhile and I didn't notice it till I looked after I read the thread on the GTO site. There were water marks on the carpet and the module under the passenger seat.

I cleaned out both rockers, pulled up the edges of the carpet to dry all of it, sealed the low area in the door jamb with clear caulk (under the plastic trim), and put it all back together.

It wasn't my DD at the time, but it is now, and I have driven through some DOWNPOURS and it hasn't leaked since. I never found the hole in the wheel well, and still no leaks, but my leak wasn't coming from there. I could see where the water was going under the seal trim.

If it does it again I will be trading it in on a C6 sooner than I planned.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Purplegoat
Could this spot possibly be covered up by rolling the fenderwells? I can't seem to find it on mine. Pics would be a great help.
only if you rolled it clear down to the front......its really low........about at the same height as the top of the rocker panel..
Old 03-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Why not pull the rear seats, carpet, and coat the floorboards and inside real good with undercoating? That alonng with a good coat on the fender wells will stop this from happening.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

i dont know how to pull the car apart, so i couldnt do that. For you guys who sealed up spots on your door jam, fender wells, etc, could you please take spome pics of where you sealed?? I didnt find any holes in my fender wells. So i am going to try and seal eveything i can find. i could really use some help here.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

here is my take on things...

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303222
Old 03-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroFan71
Why not pull the rear seats, carpet, and coat the floorboards and inside real good with undercoating? That alonng with a good coat on the fender wells will stop this from happening.
The place where mine was leaking was very noticable if you are looking at the jam. It is a low dip in the metal. I pulled the plastic trim up and sealed it under that.

The water was coming from the jam, under the trim, and out to the carpet.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

thamks. i am bringing the car back to the stealership monday for the manager to take a look. The first time i took it, the service guys told me they wouldnt cover it and it would cost quite a bit to work over.
hope fully i have beeter luck monday. i am bringing a zip drive with all the pics and info i could ifnd ont he matter with me, so they can see for themselves about this problem, as they claim to have never heard of it.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

Even more of a reason now why my car doesn't leave the garage when it rains.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

And some guys look down their noses at f-bodies because of t-tops leaking ...
Old 03-25-2009, 11:13 PM
12 Second Club

no, we look down on them cause they are slow.... J/K

bring it out to the street shoot-out on may 9th.
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290033
Old 03-26-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RevGTO
And some guys look down their noses at f-bodies because of t-tops leaking ...

f-bodies....ppffffft. Jeez those things suck almost as bad as ricers.

i kid, i kid. I have always loved the early Ram-air firebird.
this right here is one of my favorite cars, ever. I will have one some day, so help me God i will have one.

Quick Reply: Fucking pontiac GTO... problem with water leak flooding car