Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

04 Longtube Install Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 04 Longtube Install Advice

I'm not a GTO owner, my buddy is and were gonna put a set of Pacesetter on his 04 M6 GTO tomorrow. My question is, how hard is it? I've done Header installs on LT1 and LS1 Fbody's so my guess is it wont be AS hard as the Fbody car's.

Any tips?
Advice?
Links to walk threws?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Grn4fbody
I'm not a GTO owner, my buddy is and were gonna put a set of Pacesetter on his 04 M6 GTO tomorrow. My question is, how hard is it? I've done Header installs on LT1 and LS1 Fbody's so my guess is it wont be AS hard as the Fbody car's.

Any tips?
Advice?
Links to walk threws?
unfortunately, your guess is wrong.
Fbody's are a dream compared to the LS1 goats.

it WILL be at least a 3.5 hour install, so be prepared. you will need to remove the steering rack, regardless of what some people will tell you... its safer and it will save you about an hour and at least 4 busted knuckles.

a lift is AWESOME, but it can be done with ramps and a crawler.

make sure you have: (2) rear O2 extensions, midpipes and new gaskets.

im sure there are several write ups on this site, do some searching and im sure you'll find something.
best of luck!
Old 04-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not hard at all. Haven't done Pacesetter's but have done Dynatech and Stainless. Took about 2-2.5 hours from start to finish. All the ones I've done have been put in from the top. Passenger side is a piece of cake. Make sure your wheels and steering are straight. Scribe some lines on the rack before you drop it so it'll go back in the exact position it was taken out. You'll have a straight steering wheel.

There are write ups on LS1GTO.com. Don't know of any specific GTO ones over here. Dynatech has a great install manual if you search for it.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Dunno if this will get me in trouble...... LT How to.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288135
Old 04-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

my gto had 45k miles and the hardest part lineing up the power steering lines. total took about 8 hours start to finish
Old 04-22-2009, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

It took me about 4 hours to do it start to finish, much easier than a LT1 car LAWL
Old 04-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

i got pacesetter on mine but its an 06. but yea either way your gonna have to go in from the bottom. like they said take the steering rack off. it took around 4 to 5 hours to get mine put on. the thing that took the longest to me was trying to connect the power steering hoses back on to the rack. that sucked!!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Launching!

I installed two pairs of F Body Pacesetters and it was pretty painless,I thought the GTO would be easier.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

when i was talking to the mechanic before i ordered them. i asked him if it would be hard to put them on. he looked under the hood and said there was plenty of room and should be easy. my friends thought the same thing but when we went to put them on there isnt as much room as everyone thinks.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ive done atleast 20-30 sets of headers on goats , mostly pacesetter , a few kooks and removal of the sw's on my 04 to install pacesetters

on the PS lines , its best to leave the rack loose on the subframe , and leave the header loose(not bolted to the head) , this way you can tilt the header up and move it back(towards the firewall) , which gives you room to get into the ps lines , and do not mix up their location(its easy to do) large 1 on the bottom and small on the top , start them by hand first , then use a crows foot to tighten them up 3/4 5/8 sizes

also get 2 12" o2 extensions , do not use the cut and extend the wires , it will save time

also its fairly common for the o2s to weld themselves to the fittings , so having some on stand by is helpful

drivers header up from the bottom and pass from the top , remove the coils on both sides and the studs for the fuel rail covers on the pass side
Old 04-29-2009, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

i currently have my friends gto in my drive way when we had the header on the driver side off and when we worked on the ps steering lines on of the flair ends broke now the line is on back order

Quick Reply: 04 Longtube Install Advice