Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

New '05 Goat, got some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009 | 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Default New '05 Goat, got some questions.

I just picked up a black '05 M6 Goat with 30k miles from a local used car dealer. The car is one-owner and I picked up a 4 year 48k mile powertrain warranty with it. The car is mostly stock. I do have a few questions:

1. Does the ignition interlock happen to every GTO? And if so what are the symptoms?

2. The car has done this twice: After being started the car will immediately cut off for no apparent reason. Starting the car again produces no problems.

3. I can't get the damn stopwatch to work (it won't reset) although I haven't looked in the owner's manual yet, either.

4. What's the average MPG gotten? I got 14.5mpg on my first tank, although it was driven rather, um, aggressively.

5. Anything else to watch out for? I remember reading something about certain parts of the suspension needing to be replaced from the factory on certain years, but the details are fuzzy.
Old 05-05-2009 | 10:55 PM
Teching In

congratulations on the new car!

1. the key getting stuck in the ignition does'nt happen to everyone, i keep my keyholes lubed with lithium grease. i don't think there are any warning signs when it does happen.

2. i have no idea

3. when you select yes on the stop watch it activates.

4. i don't keep track, i just fill the tank.

5. i have a pedders track II suspension with sway bars--it's one of the few mods i've done to my car and whether you use pedders or another brand you should read about the suspensions on these cars. strut bearings wear out, springs get saggy, suspension issues can make your tires wear out prematurely.

i love my car, but you should read the forums to be aware of the potential issues associated with them.
Old 05-06-2009 | 12:03 PM
12 Second Club

Congrats on the new car, My key never has any problems (yet). And its a 05 with 72,000miles. I get about 20 + on the highway. And I have headers and I'm a six speed. For suspension if you have the money i would upgrade to pedders forsure. Hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2009 | 12:53 PM
8 Second Club

PEDDERS for your suspension needs would be a great up grade......frank
Old 05-10-2009 | 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Congrats. The key thing has happened to me...and basically...it's the most irritating thing in the history of mankind...the key is just locked in there and i'm afraid to break it out...

it's only happened to me twice though..in 3 years...
Old 05-11-2009 | 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Hmmm, my stopwatch doesn't work like that. I press mode to change to stopwatch then set to make it start. Then set again to make it stop. Nothing makes it reset.

Also, my skipshift feature is female--it only works half the time and then when you don't expect it too. I've done multiple slow take--offs and it just does it sometimes or it doesn't?!?

What are the biggest tires I can fit on the car? I mean in width. I wouldn't want to go over 18"s anyway, but I was just wondering if some 18x10.5(or 11?) would fit on the back?
Old 05-11-2009 | 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

Your backspacing on your rims is very important on what you can get back there. Do a search on LS1GTO there is a lot of info on tire size. Usually some mods are needed to get anything very wide.