TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wanting to find a gto...already had a fbody
Old 06-23-2009, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
Whaaat? You sure about that one?
Yes. Cause I did it with mine. And a others have done it too.

Too many misinformed people out there.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went from a 98 TA M6 to an 04 GTO M6 as my daily driver.

The GTO is easily faster, rides better, much more comfortable, better build quality etc.

Its not as flashy, but its definitely a "nicer" car.

There are a couple little things that GTOs will need as soon as you get them... rear springs and front radius rod bushings. The two together cost around $400. The rear springs sag from the factory and make the tires wear wierd because of excess camber. The front radius rod bushings let the front end move around and also cause wierd tire wear.

Mine is an 04 with 34k miles on it, and after i replaced those two items im very happy with it. No regrets at all.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28mccrory
I just went from a 98 TA M6 to an 04 GTO M6 as my daily driver.

The GTO is easily faster, rides better, much more comfortable, better build quality etc.

Its not as flashy, but its definitely a "nicer" car.

There are a couple little things that GTOs will need as soon as you get them... rear springs and front radius rod bushings. The two together cost around $400. The rear springs sag from the factory and make the tires wear wierd because of excess camber. The front radius rod bushings let the front end move around and also cause wierd tire wear.

Mine is an 04 with 34k miles on it, and after i replaced those two items im very happy with it. No regrets at all.
Agree with ya another cheaper way to raise rear is drag bags keep them at low psi and it will raise the rear end a bit (more with more psi) and help with wheel hop and traction...best of both worlds really. I have a airlift kit thats not really "drag bags" but does the same thing and u dont have to modify the rear springs. You just put the bags in the springs, run a few air lines, and fill to the pressure you want got the kit for under $100 shipped to my door i think it was $79?
Old 06-23-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tigertales
Yes. Cause I did it with mine. And a others have done it too.

Too many misinformed people out there.
Yea impressive. These cars are clearly faster than people let on. I think there was too much emphasis on the weight issue early on and it stuck...

By far the best GM interior out there!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

GTO's are not light. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There are guys that made them fly but they have broken some parts along the way. Most newer cars are heavy though. The new Camaro is really a pig.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im just looking for mids 12's. nothing to serious
Old 06-24-2009, 06:31 AM
On The Tree

buy a old vette. they are cheap now.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
GTO's are not light. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There are guys that made them fly but they have broken some parts along the way. Most newer cars are heavy though. The new Camaro is really a pig.
We scaled my 98 SS and my friends GTO on some nice Billet circle track scales..and the GTO was only slightly heavier...I think around 100lbs or so maybe thats not as bad as people make out...

In fact my friends low option 01 Z28 Hardtop weighs more than the GTO thanks to an iron 6.0, Procharger, and 4L80E....

Point being...they should NOT be dismissed due to weight.... find another reason...
Old 06-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Teching In

with just DR many GTO drivers have broken into the high 12s. with full exhaust and ever a canned predator tune, you should be able to hit mid 12s..
Old 06-24-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

We scaled my 98 SS and my friends GTO on some nice Billet circle track scales..and the GTO was only slightly heavier...I think around 100lbs or so maybe thats not as bad as people make out...
The difference is greater than you think.

I used the same CAT scale at the same truck stop to weigh both my 2002 Z28 and 2006 GTO.

The 2002 Z28 has the 4L60E and is a no-options (1SC) car. During the time it was weighed (5/26/05), the only modifications were a rear-end girdle and a trans-cooler. There was only a quarter tank of fuel in the car. Without me and my personal belongings, the car weighed

3,395 lbs.

Check out my full post on it:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...8-weighed.html

The 2006 GTO has the 6-speed manual and the factory 18 inch wheels. During the time it was weighed (10/1/06), the entire suspension system was upgraded to the Pedders' Justice suspension package. There was only 2.12 gallons of fuel in the car. Without me and my personal belongings, the car weighed

3,686 lbs.

You can check out my entry in my Car Domain by clicking on my GTO link in my signature for more info. (I even had it re-weighed after getting the full exhaust upgraded. I actually saved 40+ lbs!)

The weight difference was 291 lbs. Keep in mind that I have a stripper Z28 with the A4. Also, if the GTO had an automatic transmission, then the weight difference would have been even greater.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by damon_Z

The 2002 Z28 has the 4L60E and is a no-options (1SC) car. During the time it was weighed (5/26/05), the only modifications were a rear-end girdle and a trans-cooler. There was only a quarter tank of fuel in the car. Without me and my personal belongings, the car weighed

3,395 lbs.

Man I thought the 1SC cars where waaay lighter than loaded cars?

My 98SS A4 is a power everything, Leather, T-Top car... (I took out the AC, but it still has the tire/jack)

My weight with 3/4 tank of fuel was 3414 So my Loaded SS with 1/2 tank more fuel is only 19lbs heavier than a stripper car? Hell the weight of the fuel alone almost makes them even....

That doesnt seem right to me?... But I know others have weighed 34XX with cars like mine... did you have sandbags in there? LOL
Old 06-24-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

In fact my friends low option 01 Z28 Hardtop weighs more than the GTO thanks to an iron 6.0, Procharger, and 4L80E....

Point being...they should NOT be dismissed due to weight.... find another reason...
I wasn't dismissing them for that. The OP asked for info. Heavy car + IRS= broken parts at higher HP levels. Hell the F-body isn't any better with the glass 10 bolt and their wieght. It is something that should be brought to the attention of a guy that might not realize that.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
I wasn't dismissing them for that. The OP asked for info. Heavy car + IRS= broken parts at higher HP levels. Hell the F-body isn't any better with the glass 10 bolt and their wieght. It is something that should be brought to the attention of a guy that might not realize that.
Oh I know... wasnt directed at you. Just people who say "oh well they are too heavy Ill get something else" and thats their only reason..
Old 06-24-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

Man I thought the 1SC cars where waaay lighter than loaded cars?

My 98SS A4 is a power everything, Leather, T-Top car... (I took out the AC, but it still has the tire/jack)

My weight with 3/4 tank of fuel was 3414 So my Loaded SS with 1/2 tank more fuel is only 19lbs heavier than a stripper car? Hell the weight of the fuel alone almost makes them even....

That doesnt seem right to me?... But I know others have weighed 34XX with cars like mine... did you have sandbags in there? LOL
Well, both the GTO and the Z28 were weighed on the same exact scale at the same exact location.

We could only correctly compare our f-body weights if we used the same exact scale at the same exact location. Otherwise, we don't really know what f-body weight is correct if you used a scale that's different from mine. We would be comparing apples to oranges.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by damon_Z
Well, both the GTO and the Z28 were weighed on the same exact scale at the same exact location.

We could only correctly compare our f-body weights if we used the same exact scale at the same exact location. Otherwise, we don't really know what f-body weight is correct if you used a scale that's different from mine. We would be comparing apples to oranges.
Well mine was weighed on a high dollar set of billet racing scales so I am pretty sure they were right... and like I say, I have seen a few cars like mine weigh in close...

I wonder if you may be lighter than you think even?...That'd be sweet huh?
Old 06-30-2009, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

I twin turbo'd my goat and last week came off the scales @ 3620lb... with a spare in the trunk and cleaning supplies @ half a tank of gas. I was shocked! I should be able to get down to 3500lb for race day. I hate the limited space for tire too. Otherwise I love this car

I'm curious though, how far in hp/tq can I go on the stock diff !?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Everytime I look at GTO's and mods, anything over 550hp on stock parts is starting to push it.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Everytime I look at GTO's and mods, anything over 550hp on stock parts is starting to push it.
Why is 550hp pushing it on only a GTO? You think an Fbody is any less stressed at those levels?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

if i recall correctly its the rods/pins that are the 1st weak links in these motors .. the weight in GTO's might play a part in this equation as well ....

Quick Reply: Pros & Cons of Getting a GTO